LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Giants S Kenny Phillips diagnosed with patellofemoral arthritis.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Man, I feel terrible for the guy. This stuff is REALLY bad.

Here are the opertive approaches:

1. Arthroscopic debridement
2. Microfracture articular restoration
3. Lateral release
4. Soft-tissue realignment of the extensor mechanism
5. Osteotomies of the tibial tubercle
6. Mosiacplasty/autologous chondrocyte implantation
7. Lateral patella partial facetectomy
8. Patellectomy (removal of the kneecap)
9. Total knee replacement

And as this wasn't enough:

"While operative replacement of any portion of the knee joint is one of the last options,it is often the only good choice left when other treatments fail of result in increased pain. We have found a definite trend of more rapid recovery,better function, more predictable return to work,and decreased dependency on pain medication with this operation. Patients can become very depressed and socially drained by the stress of constant pain and ineffectual prior treatment. Patellofemoral replacement offers more predictable relief from these problems in our experience."

LINK
This is only his third season in the league.
Wow, that sucks...I remember wishing we had got him when the Giants drafted him. Your quote states surgery may be his best option, but will it get him back in 'football-ready' shape or just allow him to function like a normal person?
Originally posted by ramanz16:
Wow, that sucks...I remember wishing we had got him when the Giants drafted him. Your quote states surgery may be his best option, but will it get him back in 'football-ready' shape or just allow him to function like a normal person?

From what i read there are some conflicting reports, but best case scenario is: he comes back to play, but will have a VERY short career.
I don't understand medical talk. Is this a generic thing or has this happened because of injury? Either way it's unfortunate he may not have a long career
trade Roman
Share 49ersWebzone