There are 201 users in the forums

Class of '04 better than class of '83?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Class of '04 better than class of '83?

There was an article somewhere on nfl.com or cnnsi or maybe espn last week comparing Elway/Kelly/Marino to Roethlisburger/E. Manning/Rivers

Elway/Kelly/Marino have won a combined 2 superbowls over their careers.

In 5 years, Big Ben, Eli, and Phillip have combined for 3 already.

Stat wise probably not, but at their current pace, the class of 04 may exceed the class of '83 with more playoff and superbowl wins.

What you guys think?[/right]
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
That would mean that all 3 of the 04 class need to become hall of famers.
Right now i would take Elway,Marino,Rivers,Big Ben,Kelly,then Eli. I think they need more time but they could be when it's all said and done. But isn't there 2/3 other qb's from the 83 class that were always mentioned. I know they didn't have hall of fame caliber career's but were just drafted high.

[ Edited by lamontb on Sep 3, 2009 at 12:05:17 ]
Originally posted by Esco:

I don't think any of them will. '83>'04

Eli and Ben won because of their defense.
Originally posted by pantstickle:

Ya that's true. But i think Rivers is the best out of all them.
  • SerJerryofRice
  • Info N/A
This a moot and ridiculous argument.

Which of them is a first ballot HOF? Who thinks that Eli actually has a shot of making the HOF? Who will throw a perfect game? Not once, but twice?

(Those are rhetorical questions.)
  • BobS
  • Veteran
To even ask this question you must have started watching football 10 years ago or less. Big Ben has 2 rings because of the Steeler's defense and running game, not his passing skills. Eli Manning mentioned with those HOFers, are you kidding me? Rings do not mean a whole lot, football is a team game. Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson have as many rings as the class of 83, what does that tell you?
Originally posted by lamontb:
Right now i would take Elway,Marino,Rivers,Big Ben,Kelly,then Eli. I think they need more time but they could be when it's all said and done. But isn't there 2/3 other qb's from the 83 class that were always mentioned. I know they didn't have hall of fame caliber career's but werer just drafted high.

Rivers over Big Ben and Kelly? Rivers is a little b***h with one of the best running backs, best TE, a pretty good O-Line, and backed up with a solid defense.

Other than that, i pretty much agree with your list
Originally posted by socalniner:
Right now i would take Elway,Marino,Rivers,Big Ben,Kelly,then Eli. I think they need more time but they could be when it's all said and done. But isn't there 2/3 other qb's from the 83 class that were always mentioned. I know they didn't have hall of fame caliber career's but werer just drafted high.

Rivers over Big Ben and Kelly? Rivers is a little b***h with one of the best running backs, best TE, a pretty good O-Line, and backed up with a solid defense.

Yeah I think he's just slightly better Qb than Big Ben. And for any QB to be considered great more than likely they were surrounded by great talent. Phillips just makes every throw and appears to make less mistakes to me than big Ben. But then again i do love how Big Ben shrugs folks off and still makes plays. they are pretty close to me. And I'm probably underrating Kelly.
Gotta remember too, Elway/Marino/Kelly played against powerhouse teams. Really no comparison in my opinion.

Originally posted by socalniner:

So couldn't that argument be used with Montana? He did have Rice, Craig, Taylor, a great line etc etc?

As of today 83>04. Lets see what the 04 guys look like in six years. Then you can compare.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
To even ask this question you must have started watching football 10 years ago or less. Big Ben has 2 rings because of the Steeler's defense and running game, not his passing skills. Eli Manning mentioned with those HOFers, are you kidding me? Rings do not mean a whole lot, football is a team game. Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson have as many rings as the class of 83, what does that tell you?

To be fair. Montana and Elway always get credit for game winning drives. Big Ben should get credit for his in the superbowl. As should Eli.

Just saying!
Originally posted by krizay:

To be fair. Montana and Elway always get credit for game winning drives. Big Ben should get credit for his in the superbowl. As should Eli.

Just saying!

That's Krizay!

I'll take rings over personal achievements every time. I'll take a wild guess, and say Marino and Kelly would agree... Dilfer, too.
Originally posted by Mike8016:
Originally posted by pantstickle:

Ya that's true. But i think Rivers is the best out of all them.

He is, he just doesn't have the dominant defense that Ben and Eli had when they won their SuperBowls.
Share 49ersWebzone