LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

How many players from the nolan era...

Shop 49ers game tickets
Either werent developed properly or were overlooked? im watching the rams vs falcons game, and billy bajema was strictly a blocking te for us. but in this new rams wco, well iirc theyre running a wco, he looks like a good reciever and caught a few passes in a row. im not saying hes the 2nd coming of dallas clark or gates but he looks skilled.

we already know how nolan never got vernon or any tight end really into anyones game plan, except maybe eric johnson one year. we saw him botch the handling of a young qb. we saw him dump a good reciever in bryant. what do you guys say? any other names?
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Either werent developed properly or were overlooked? im watching the rams vs falcons game, and billy bajema was strictly a blocking te for us. but in this new rams wco, well iirc theyre running a wco, he looks like a good reciever and caught a few passes in a row. im not saying hes the 2nd coming of dallas clark or gates but he looks skilled.

we already know how nolan never got vernon or any tight end really into anyones game plan, except maybe eric johnson one year. we saw him botch the handling of a young qb. we saw him dump a good reciever in bryant. what do you guys say? any other names?

He caught passes every pre-season... made some nice ones too. I'd wait and see how he does during the reg. season though
Originally posted by modninerfan:

He caught passes every pre-season... made some nice ones too. I'd wait and see how he does during the reg. season though

Remember he had that pretty corner route that he caught with outstretched hands in front of him at the 'stick at the end of last season? When he did that I was thinking, "In your face Vernon Davis"

Daven Holly left us to be successful else where and he totally just pissed away John Engelberger(passrusher). Justin Smiley doesn't count here because that was front office number bumbling. He jettisoned Jamie Winborn whom looked like the Tazmanian Devil in cleats to us but apparently played too wildly for whatever scheme. Other than that, it's not like there was much talent to squander around these parts during those times.
Originally posted by TenderLoinTimmy:

Remember he had that pretty corner route that he caught with outstretched hands in front of him at the 'stick at the end of last season? When he did that I was thinking, "In your face Vernon Davis"

Daven Holly left us to be successful else where and he totally just pissed away John Engelberger(passrusher). Justin Smiley doesn't count here because that was front office number bumbling. He jettisoned Jamie Winborn whom looked like the Tazmanian Devil in cleats to us but apparently played too wildly for whatever scheme. Other than that, it's not like there was much talent to squander around these parts during those times.

To be honest, Daven Holly got away because we were hoping he'd clear waivers and end up on our practice squad. Unfortunately he got picked up.

I kind of regret losing Engelberger, but I could see the logic.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TenderLoinTimmy:

FWIW Jamie Winborn was not the Tazmanian Devil in cleats. Sure he was fast for a LB'er but it takes more than speed to make it in the NFL and look at where Winborn's career has gone since....he has started sparingly and has been more of a ST'er/backup than anything else. We let him go because he wasn't a fit for the 3-4 scheme Nolan was installing. Engleberger was in the same boat, not athletic enough to be a stand up OLB in a 3-4 and too small to be a 3-4 DE.

You were too hung up on those players and overlooked the obvious it seems.
Share 49ersWebzone