LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Frank Gore Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Winning a ring without Gore won't be the same. We need him for the ride this year.
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Winning a ring without Gore won't be the same. We need him for the ride this year.

this!
Originally posted by Rocket4989:

this!

it would be like the colts when they won after cutting edgerrin james after many yrs of amazing production

(btw the colts actually gave edge a sb ring even tho he played for the tards)

Agreed 100% and to top it off, gore is like what 30 or so yards from cracking 10,000 career rushing yards. Sure if add playoffs he has it. But this is franks yr. Lets go out on top sb or bust
Goniners
Originally posted by frankie:

Agreed 100% and to top it off, gore is like what 30 or so yards from cracking 10,000 career rushing yards. Sure if add playoffs he has it. But this is franks yr. Lets go out on top sb or bust
Goniners

What if Frank is bad luck, you know cursed and destined to never get a ring? If Latimore is legit, then I say give him all Franks snaps, Hunter as a change of pace, and Dixon in short yardage, LMJ, and Frank looking for work elsewhere. Look to the draft for that 3rd down back, speedster we thought LMJ would become.
Im not saying to cut Gore, thats silly. I would rather him play for 6 mil this year than cut him. I say we extend him and soften the blow this year and put together a contract that has him retire a Niner.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by frankie:

Goniners

What if Frank is bad luck, you know cursed and destined to never get a ring? If Latimore is legit, then I say give him all Franks snaps, Hunter as a change of pace, and Dixon in short yardage, LMJ, and Frank looking for work elsewhere. Look to the draft for that 3rd down back, speedster we thought LMJ would become.

What if he is not bad luck? I have a hard time believing that gore jinxed aldon and justin on our superbowl run. They dont get hurt in season, niners crush ravens in superbowl 47!!! If lattimore can take the reins from gore then sadly so be it. But now if he cant perform to our legendary mr frank gore at 31, then lattimore should not just be given the starting job!! I agree, we are stacked at rb, tho if we can strengthen any position in any area, go for it! We have the pics. Tho we need to address our needs. We have arguably one of the deepest cores at rb in the league.
We all have same goal, that is to win! Tho if gore is able his ability alone in pass protection makes him one of the most valuable rbs in league! He can still pound them yards out as well. Trick is figuring out a way to get less stacked boxs. Assume frank on sideline would cure that, by hard to see as the answer! Tho i cant wait to see lattimore on the field. Id like to see packages with gore n lattimore on field at same time :)
Goniners

Sorry this like a novel lmao
He's done. He needs to reduce his salary or be cut. Hopefully Latimore is ready and we can part ways with him. Totally ran out of gas in the playoffs.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by BobS:
Selected viewing of stats, you must be talking total rushing yards. His ypc went from 4.7 (2012) to 4.1 (2013) if history with 30+ year old top level running backs is any example that number will fall to 3.8 or lower in 2014. Last I checked Frank is human and not a robot, NFL running backs do not out run father time. Even the 30+ crowd that did ok in their later years fell off quite a bit from their late 20's. Pull up Football Reference and look at the numbers on running backs Frank's age. You have to ask yourself if Frank Gore was a free agent how much would somebody pay him? The salary cap forces the business side of the game, you can't over pay players on sentiment.

I want to know what his YPC was once Crabtree came in through the playoffs. B/c THAT is our real offense. Prior to that Gore WAS our offense. We need to account for the fact that he was probably pretty worn down the last quarter of the season and through the playoffs and the play calling could not be more predictable BUT this stat could give us a better gauge of real production and expectations going forward.
136 carries 513 yards 3.77 ypc. Actually lower than the whole season average, why? NFL running backs have an expiration date tattooed on them, like a cartoon of eggs, Frank is past his. Sometimes the eggs will still be good a little past the expiration date, but they will spoil soon. Like I said before everybody loves Frank, so do I. I would like to see him come back at a reduced salary and be a third down back, that might squeeze another useful 2 years out of him. That 50 yard run against Seattle where he severely ran out of gas was father time catching Frank. I didn't like seeing it, but I cannot be in denial like most of you. You cannot pay guys on sentiment, he is worth what someone else would pay him. You need to start giving reps to his replacement, now!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Selected viewing of stats, you must be talking total rushing yards. His ypc went from 4.7 (2012) to 4.1 (2013) if history with 30+ year old top level running backs is any example that number will fall to 3.8 or lower in 2014. Last I checked Frank is human and not a robot, NFL running backs do not out run father time. Even the 30+ crowd that did ok in their later years fell off quite a bit from their late 20's. Pull up Football Reference and look at the numbers on running backs Frank's age. You have to ask yourself if Frank Gore was a free agent how much would somebody pay him? The salary cap forces the business side of the game, you can't over pay players on sentiment.

I want to know what his YPC was once Crabtree came in through the playoffs. B/c THAT is our real offense. Prior to that Gore WAS our offense. We need to account for the fact that he was probably pretty worn down the last quarter of the season and through the playoffs and the play calling could not be more predictable BUT this stat could give us a better gauge of real production and expectations going forward.
136 carries 513 yards 3.77 ypc. Actually lower than the whole season average, why? NFL running backs have an expiration date tattooed on them, like a cartoon of eggs, Frank is past his. Sometimes the eggs will still be good a little past the expiration date, but they will spoil soon. Like I said before everybody loves Frank, so do I. I would like to see him come back at a reduced salary and be a third down back, that might squeeze another useful 2 years out of him. That 50 yard run against Seattle where he severely ran out of gas was father time catching Frank. I didn't like seeing it, but I cannot be in denial like most of you. You cannot pay guys on sentiment, he is worth what someone else would pay him. You need to start giving reps to his replacement, now!

This is about what I expeced. Partially b/c he was worn down, partially b/c play calling sucks and is predictable, partially b/c we were playing great defenses the final quarter of the season and throughout the playoffs and partially b/c Gore has slowed down and is always battling little nagging injuries. And what I've seen, in bigger games, HaRoMan don't lean on Gore like a Seattle does with Lynch. We lean more on CK's legs and arm. Period. This says a lot b/c there is nothing more this coaching staff would love but to run it down a defenses throat...it how they are hard-wired. And for them to instead, lean on CK and the intermediate (and risky passing game) esp. during the critical moments of games (Superbowl and NFCCG), says something. Again, people ignore this, but Harbaugh's own comments after the NFCCG was by design...to usher in Lattimore and mentally prepare our fan base for a transition away from Gore being the bell cow.

Ideally, if we need him too, I'd love for him to restructure his contract for another year, save us some cap space (again, only if needed) and split carries with Lattimore, Hampton, Hunter, James, etc. and coach them along into a FT transition. The running game is absolutely critical to our entire offensive foundation and it needs to be hitting on all cyclinders esp. come playoff time.

OK fine bring him back as a spot starter/carries BUT AT A REDUCED SALARY. Father Time is UNDEFEATED.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
If Baalke is going to be worth a damn as a GM, he needs to be able to crack the whip. Paying a 31 year old RB with a ton of miles on him, one who only managed 11 carries for 14 yards in the NFCC game, $6.4 million dollars is not a smart thing to do. You pay a player based on what he'll do for your this upcoming season, you don't overpay him based on what he did 5 years ago. How Lynch ran versus how Gore ran is one of the reasons Seattle won, people want to turn a blind eye to that for some reason. Any other RB runs for that amount and we'd be calling for his head. Gore will just be another year older and slower next season, do you really want to go into another NFCC game with a 31 year old RB playing his 19th game of the season? I hate disparaging Gore as he's been a great 49er but it would not be a wise use of money paying him that much. No other NFL team will pay him $6+ million a year, the 49ers should not either. There are better ways to use that money to strengthen this team for 2014. I respect what Frank has done for this team but I want to see the 49ers win a SB next season, paying Gore that much when he can play for less would be the smarter thing to do to help accomplish that goal.

The whole premise of what you are saying is goofy and completely wrong. Frank did not deliver 14 yards against seattle. Our offense delivered14 yards. If you saw any of those plays you saw Seattle in our backfield almost every carry because they had no respect for any other option that we might run on those plays. It was the football equivalent of "300". No one was going to get yards in that situation -- not frank, not ap, not marshawn, no one.

So please stop putting that into the conversation.

Frank has not slowed down his 5 - 10 yard game, that I can see, his bread and butter. He's the only 49er on the roster who can turn 7 yard runs into 40 yard runs and people complain that he doesn't have the speed to turn them into 60 yard runs. It's so weird I can't even describe it.

Johnnydel has nothing but praise for Frank. He called him "elite." Repeatedly.I don't think he used that term in regards to our qurterback.

Nothing more to say. /gripes.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's done. He needs to reduce his salary or be cut. Hopefully Latimore is ready and we can part ways with him. Totally ran out of gas in the playoffs.

It's getting old, man. You used to at least try and be coy. Now you're just throwing out the most ridiculous statements to try and draw the biggest reaction you can out if people. I get it. It's fun for you. But try harder to at least make some sort of sensical post. Or maybe just give it a rest for a while. Reload. Charge your batteries back up.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

It's getting old, man. You used to at least try and be coy. Now you're just throwing out the most ridiculous statements to try and draw the biggest reaction you can out if people. I get it. It's fun for you. But try harder to at least make some sort of sensical post. Or maybe just give it a rest for a while. Reload. Charge your batteries back up.

Listen to Stoney SD, your trolling is just sad now.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Share 49ersWebzone