LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

Frank Gore Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BobS:
I didn't make the case of the 50 yard run that would have been a 70 yard TD two years ago as a case of Frank Gore isn't still a good back, but it definitely showed how much Frank has declined, the guy that eventually tackled him closed from almost 10 yards back. Maybe you aren't aware that 30+ year old running backs decline faster than ice cream melts on the side walk in a Southern California desert in July. For a running back Frank has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.
You can count on one hand the number of running backs that had good years the year after turning 30. I think his 2014 cap number is around $6 million, if you keep him at that number you are hurting the team, the salary cap is a cruel reality. No one defeats father time, especially NFL running backs.

We all know that Frank's days are drawing to a close.

Yet your remarks are rude, almost spiteful, almost gleeful about his getting on.

I don't get it. How can you watch football and not appreciate Frank Gore?

I disagree with the premise that Frank doesn't help this team. He helps in many many ways -- including carrying the ball.

I hope Frank and management work something out.

And there aren't sidewalks in California deserts, in July or any other month.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Feb 17, 2014 at 9:38 AM ]
True Frank Gore was the consistent hard working lone bright spot on this team for many of the 8 straight years of not making the play-offs. The NFL needs to allow a few cap exceptions so people like Frank don't get dumped in their twilight years because of salary cap constraints. Everybody here loves Frank but those that didn't see his drastic decline last year are blinded by that love. The stand out one was the 50 yard run against Seattle where he had a 5+ yard lead on the closest defender and was run down from behind. That would have been a 70 yard TD two years ago. We ended up with a field goal and had to sweat a 2 point win. I say bring him back as a third down back, but not at his current cap number.
Um no. He still had 1100 yards going against 8 men boxes. Drastic decline? You along with so many others are just assuming that there has been a big drop off in his play simply because he is now over 30 years old and so many running backs are done at that time. Frank Gore's numbers suggest otherwise. And Frank has never had breakaway speed so I don't know how you're going to say two years ago he would have scored. There was a similar play that happened two years ago against the Lions in Detroit. And you know what, he was run down by Chris Houston. That's never been his game. His game is his great vision and immediate burst through the hole. He still has both of those. His running style is very similar to Emmitt Smith, who played until he was 35 years old. If he's still going well over the 1000 yard mark against 8 men in the box, the dude is still playing at a very high level and is still a top back in the league.
I love me some Frank Gore. He is a first class guy you can see that in the way he plays. Never quits, never cries, keeps his legs moving. As much as i love his running his blocking is what has always stood out. I hope after he hangs up the jersey Harbaugh gives him a shot as an asst. coach. With him and Rathman breaking down running backs the run game will be strong for a long time.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
True Frank Gore was the consistent hard working lone bright spot on this team for many of the 8 straight years of not making the play-offs. The NFL needs to allow a few cap exceptions so people like Frank don't get dumped in their twilight years because of salary cap constraints. Everybody here loves Frank but those that didn't see his drastic decline last year are blinded by that love. The stand out one was the 50 yard run against Seattle where he had a 5+ yard lead on the closest defender and was run down from behind. That would have been a 70 yard TD two years ago. We ended up with a field goal and had to sweat a 2 point win. I say bring him back as a third down back, but not at his current cap number.
Um no. He still had 1100 yards going against 8 men boxes. Drastic decline? You along with so many others are just assuming that there has been a big drop off in his play simply because he is now over 30 years old and so many running backs are done at that time. Frank Gore's numbers suggest otherwise. And Frank has never had breakaway speed so I don't know how you're going to say two years ago he would have scored. There was a similar play that happened two years ago against the Lions in Detroit. And you know what, he was run down by Chris Houston. That's never been his game. His game is his great vision and immediate burst through the hole. He still has both of those. His running style is very similar to Emmitt Smith, who played until he was 35 years old. If he's still going well over the 1000 yard mark against 8 men in the box, the dude is still playing at a very high level and is still a top back in the league.

I think where I saw the drop off is in his explosion through the line. The old Gore explodes through the line and is decisive and hits defenders low and his momentum alone helps picks up additional yardage (and he doesn't go down right away/spirts through for another yard or two). I also saw him get tackled from behind going into the hole a lot...so explosion, quickness, burst and well, he's never had speed and Father Time are working against him and I think Harbaugh's comments right after he NFCCG re: Lattimore was his way of ushering in a new era and preparing fans for the inevitable. And b/c Gore doesn't have the lateral speed to get consistent runs off tackle, it makes it much easier for defenders to stack the box inside the T's and run blitz (and predictable play calling doesn't help at all either). So IMHO, we NEED a complete back if we're going to lean on this offensive philosophy.

TBH, some of these issues may have been d/t to nagging injuries but Gore seems to have nagging injuries every year and some may eb d/t to his style of play and age.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 17, 2014 at 10:28 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
I think where I saw the drop off is in his explosion through the line. The old Gore explodes through the line and is decisive and hits defenders low and his momentum alone helps picks up additional yardage (and he doesn't go down right away/spirts through for another yard or two). I also saw him get tackled from behind going into the hole a lot...so explosion, quickness, burst and well, he's never had speed and Father Time are working against him and I think Harbaugh's comments right after he NFCCG re: Lattimore was his way of ushering in a new era and preparing fans for the inevitable. And b/c Gore doesn't have the lateral speed to get consistent runs off tackle, it makes it much easier for defenders to stack the box inside the T's and run blitz (and predictable play calling doesn't help at all either). So IMHO, we NEED a complete back if we're going to lean on this offensive philosophy.

TBH, some of these issues may have been d/t to nagging injuries but Gore seems to have nagging injuries every year and some may eb d/t to his style of play and age.

"..a lot?" Do you have specific examples? I didn't notice that very much. I did notice Frank getting smothered behind the line a lot because teams jumped the front so often. I don't think lateral quickness would have helped a lot there. Unless you hire the Flash.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Feb 17, 2014 at 11:49 AM ]
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

"..a lot?" Do you have specific examples? I didn't notice that very much. I did notice Frank getting smothered behind the line a lot because teams jumped the front so often. I don't think lateral quickness would have helped a lot there. Unless you hire the Flash.

Often those will show up as TFL or can also go for a yard or two. But to be fair, it may have resulted from just getting worn down as we leaned on him heavily again after week 1 (really week 4 on). With our predicatble play calling on first downs and facing so many good defenses who knew our tendencies (plus all the aforementioned issus), it truly is hard to tease out a diminishing skill set and age vs. those factors playing a key role in all of this.

Is there a "Flash" on the team now? In the draft? LOL
Well, I just don't see him going down the tube the way you describe. We all agree on the speed thing. But you and your minions are describing Frank like he was Randy Moss in his last year here. I don't see that. Plenty of burst around the line, plenty of squirt.

The running game was largely ineffective except for a few chunk plays the last month and a half. Good teams shut us down because they knew what was coming. We did not show them a different hand.

Only one person can make the same offensive philosophy successful:

Well he may not have quite the same burst as he did when he was 24 years old, but the guy is far from being done. If you're still gaining over 1100 yards, over 4 yards per carry, with close to 10 touchdowns against 8 men boxes, you obviously still have the burst. I've seen it with the eye test too. He's always been north and south runner and he still has the ability to burst through the hole.
You are overblowing the 8 man box concept for his lack of burst. Sure they faced 8 man boxes but you are making it out like it was every single play.

Gore, without a doubt, is declining. I'm not saying he isn't serviceable but it is naive to say he is "far from being done." RB's lose it fast.
Originally posted by RumorHasIt:
You are overblowing the 8 man box concept for his lack of burst. Sure they faced 8 man boxes but you are making it out like it was every single play.

Gore, without a doubt, is declining. I'm not saying he isn't serviceable but it is naive to say he is "far from being done." RB's lose it fast.
The only back to face more eight man fronts is AP. Frank Gore had production this year that plenty of teams would have killed for. Also we are a conservative offense. We do stuff like milk leads running into stacked boxes. Ten point lead run twice then on third and 7 run again and punt all on stacked boxes. It really eats away at YPC but we win so who cares about the stats. Now Gore has lost a bit but even now he is a top ten back in this league. As a blocked he is the best. He has another year in him before Latt takes over fulltime

He still makes many many positive plays. So I am not sure what you are trying to assert. I don't see all the mysterious finger tackles that are bringing him down, or the 350 lb nose tackles catching Frank's limping sorry butt down the field. You guys are so exaggerated i don't get it.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Well, this year's annual discussion of Frank Gore getting old, sure has taken a nasty turn.

Look, it is not that complicated. Frank is going to run out of gas, but I am willing to wait and see when that happens. I have no projections. He might be running on solar power, or is it "souler" power.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

The only back to face more eight man fronts is AP. Frank Gore had production this year that plenty of teams would have killed for. Also we are a conservative offense. We do stuff like milk leads running into stacked boxes. Ten point lead run twice then on third and 7 run again and punt all on stacked boxes. It really eats away at YPC but we win so who cares about the stats. Now Gore has lost a bit but even now he is a top ten back in this league. As a blocked he is the best. He has another year in him before Latt takes over fulltime

Yup exactly. Do you even watch the games? The only guy who faces more 8 in the box is AP. We played the majority of the season with only one threat at the wr position.

Oh and me saying he is "far from done" is subjective. When I say far from done I mean I think he has a couple of years left where he can play at a high level compared to people who think he is done NOW. You and others seem to think he can't even be our starter anymore. Lol.

Like I said the fact that he goes against so many defenses who's goal is first and foremost is to stop the run with 8 in the box, and he still puts up top running back numbers proves that you and the others are completely wrong. And no I'm not over blowing the 8 in the box. Obviously it's not every play like you claim I'm implying. You're putting words in my mouth. But it is A LOT and a hell of a lot more than most running backs face. People have been saying he's done for the last 4 years.

Emmitt Smith still had rushed for over 1200 yards at age 31, over 1000 at age 32, and close to 1000 at age 35. Very very similar runner to Gore. Nothing has indicated that Gore is practically done like some seem to think. No duh Gore isn't in his prime, but he's still a top back in the league
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Feb 17, 2014 at 4:33 PM ]
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Well, I just don't see him going down the tube the way you describe. We all agree on the speed thing. But you and your minions are describing Frank like he was Randy Moss in his last year here. I don't see that. Plenty of burst around the line, plenty of squirt.

The running game was largely ineffective except for a few chunk plays the last month and a half. Good teams shut us down because they knew what was coming. We did not show them a different hand.

Only one person can make the same offensive philosophy successful:

BBB, you are hilarious!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

Yup exactly. Do you even watch the games? The only guy who faces more 8 in the box is AP. We played the majority of the season with only one threat at the wr position.

Oh and me saying he is "far from done" is subjective. When I say far from done I mean I think he has a couple of years left where he can play at a high level compared to people who think he is done NOW. You and others seem to think he can't even be our starter anymore. Lol.

Like I said the fact that he goes against so many defenses who's goal is first and foremost is to stop the run with 8 in the box, and he still puts up top running back numbers proves that you and the others are completely wrong. And no I'm not over blowing the 8 in the box. Obviously it's not every play like you claim I'm implying. You're putting words in my mouth. But it is A LOT and a hell of a lot more than most running backs face. People have been saying he's done for the last 4 years.

Emmitt Smith still had rushed for over 1200 yards at age 31, over 1000 at age 32, and close to 1000 at age 35. Very very similar runner to Gore. Nothing has indicated that Gore is practically done like some seem to think. No duh Gore isn't in his prime, but he's still a top back in the league

Oh and just to prove that the 8 in the box is not being overblown, check out this article analyzing the 2012 season. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/09/facing-eight-in-the-box-with-on-wideouts/ ;

Gore leads the league in facing 8 man boxes. Now of course some of it is because of the formations we run, with a lot of one wide receiver sets, but the fact is he's still running against 8 man boxes more than any other back. And even when we ran out of two or more wide out formations, he was still sixth in the league in facing 8 man boxes. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/09/facing-eight-in-the-box-with-two-or-more-wideouts/

I'm sure it was similar, if not worse in 2013, when we really only had Anquan Boldin as the only threat at receiver.
Share 49ersWebzone