There are 226 users in the forums

Frank Gore Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
No, not better than Craig.Sorry. Not even close as both a power running and pass catching disruption out of the backfield. (Of course Craig had Montana) Gore does have a quarterback with horseblinders on back there most of the time by comparison. You hit his age and it's just the way it is. He looks like he belongs in a wheelchair now compaired to any other current best in the game.Can still take a several step burst through initial holes and seams here and there. Safety's don't need to play shallow with him out there. If we had Lynch back there on last play, Crab's is prob open by several more yards at least. Gore has been a beast for us. We need a backfield that Seattle and other good teams will have to pay much more attention to by safety's, etc. With HarRoman's apparent lack of game day offensive flexibility and adjusting foresight. God, I am starting to really miss having a Walsh or a Belechik type mind on the sidelines. Obvious now that Harb's is a good to maybe very good head choach who was able to ride a titlewave of momentum into the NFL by Andrew Luck. I hope we get over the hump here with him as head coach, but getting out coached/gameplanned by most of the good teams we have faced for 3 years now is getting old
My prediction is that Gore will restructure his contract and be with the team for one or two more years. I'm hoping Lattimore becomes the primary back and Gore comes in for third down passing situations because nobody picks up the blitz like Gore and he's still able to find a hole and get yardage with a draw play here and there.
Originally posted by crake49:
My prediction is that Gore will restructure his contract and be with the team for one or two more years. I'm hoping Lattimore becomes the primary back and Gore comes in for third down passing situations because nobody picks up the blitz like Gore and he's still able to find a hole and get yardage with a draw play here and there.

i think this is years last dance to be honest. hes a stud but at that age it just isnt smart to extend him, especially with all of the guys were gonna have to extend the next two years. including kap and aldons eventual monster deals. i hope they can find a way to keep him but i dont think gore will be playing for the niners at 6+ mill
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Frank is absolutely our best blocking back and one of the best in the league. But our best "open field runner?" Come on man! I love Frank, but even though he might be able to juke me on the first move, I could probably chase Frank down from behind!

What Frank does beautifully (and usually later in the game when the defense is worn down) is make that perfect cut to break through the 2nd/3rd level for the huge gain...what he doesn't do so well is actually take it to the house, which any of our other backs could. And, talk about an open field runner, did you ever see LaMichael James play at Oregon??? Btw, Hunter was one of the better blocking backs at his Senior Bowl, constantly stoning guys in their tracks. He's got excellent technique and is a strong little dude, he just needs more opportunities to show it at this level.

Bottom line, Frank has been a special back for a very long time (in terms of RB years), but he's not the only one with skills on this team or on this planet for that matter. Much of what he does is in fact replaceable, and some of it is not. The point is, he's either leaving next year or this year, and a greater football mind than yours or mine was an advocate of letting guys go at least a year before their time. There was a reason he believed that.

By open field runner I mean being able to make people miss in the open field, not outrunning everyone.

Who does it better on our roster? I don't see LMJ being decisive enough to leverage his quickness. Hunter is a good burst/power runner. But I don't see the moves. Not yet, not this season. Crabs? Not really. Vern? Too linear. Boldin? Not his game. Vance? No reps, can't tell. Patton? No reps, can't tell.

I didn't say Frank was the only one with skills. I said he was our best open field runner (vision + moves-wise). At 30.

Who is better at this on our roster than Frank? No one. That's what I'm saying. ANd yes, he find holes too. That's a whole nother thing.

I think we can extend his shelf life by building a short passing game around him.
i just cant wait till he breaks 10k career yards. He has 16 left, right? He'll probably get it on our first game next season unless we're playing in seattle. lol.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Frank's got a big bubble butt.
The better to hall of fame with.
Originally posted by socal1632:
No, not better than Craig.Sorry. Not even close as both a power running and pass catching disruption out of the backfield. (Of course Craig had Montana) Gore does have a quarterback with horseblinders on back there most of the time by comparison. You hit his age and it's just the way it is. He looks like he belongs in a wheelchair now compaired to any other current best in the game.Can still take a several step burst through initial holes and seams here and there. Safety's don't need to play shallow with him out there. If we had Lynch back there on last play, Crab's is prob open by several more yards at least. Gore has been a beast for us. We need a backfield that Seattle and other good teams will have to pay much more attention to by safety's, etc. With HarRoman's apparent lack of game day offensive flexibility and adjusting foresight. God, I am starting to really miss having a Walsh or a Belechik type mind on the sidelines. Obvious now that Harb's is a good to maybe very good head choach who was able to ride a titlewave of momentum into the NFL by Andrew Luck. I hope we get over the hump here with him as head coach, but getting out coached/gameplanned by most of the good teams we have faced for 3 years now is getting old

Oh, yeah, sure he is a more creative and gifted runner than Roger (and of course many others).

I love Roger, he was a fabulous workaholic performer. But Frank has a gift. That's all. No other running back really quite does what he does. None of the greats like Sanders, Peterson, Dickerson, Brown, even the GOAT Payton, really did what Frank does with regard to vision and the quickness and speed responding to his vision.

This has all been hashed out in other threads, or earlier in this thread. Nothing has really changed since that discussion.

He is underutilized, and getting older. Everyone dumps on him because he gets gassed after a 40 yard run.

Well, sure, but he is making a 40 yard run, isn't he? He's smart enough to stay in bounds when he needs to, to switch hands with the ball when needed; to hold it with 2 hands at a critical juncture. People don't talk about that.

I am a very critical person, really. You can tell by what I say about Kap and the coaching staff and so on. But I honestly have nothing really bad to say about Frank. At all. When i watch him play, I look at the plusses and minuses, and I think the balance comes out way in our favor. No remarks at all about Frank. Not from me.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
The Sac Bee had an article on Frank Gore and they mentioned that he had a YPC in 2013 of 4.1 (I think Hunter was 4.7). The Bee argued that they should keep Frank Gore because he is so well loved in the locker room. However, I think that is a bad way to run a team. Walsh would get rid of players while they still had a little bit left in the tank (Montana, Lott). It is the way to field the best football team TODAY and compete for a championship. Will Gore's YPC improve in 2014? Most likely not - it will probably regress more. Will the offense stall without having a 4.1 YPC running back? Most likely not. Boldin at 6 mil per year had a much greater impact on the game than Gore will. We could ask Gore to come back for a vet minimum, however it is probably best to just part ways, and let Hunter, LMJ, and Lattimore duke it out to determine who gets the carries. The coaching staff hasn't worked out the other RB enough for us to know what they have, and it is time to rip the band-aid off now and find out. If they can't replace Gore, then we know what to draft in 2015.
Originally posted by fryet:
The Sac Bee had an article on Frank Gore and they mentioned that he had a YPC in 2013 of 4.1 (I think Hunter was 4.7). The Bee argued that they should keep Frank Gore because he is so well loved in the locker room. However, I think that is a bad way to run a team. Walsh would get rid of players while they still had a little bit left in the tank (Montana, Lott). It is the way to field the best football team TODAY and compete for a championship. Will Gore's YPC improve in 2014? Most likely not - it will probably regress more. Will the offense stall without having a 4.1 YPC running back? Most likely not. Boldin at 6 mil per year had a much greater impact on the game than Gore will. We could ask Gore to come back for a vet minimum, however it is probably best to just part ways, and let Hunter, LMJ, and Lattimore duke it out to determine who gets the carries. The coaching staff hasn't worked out the other RB enough for us to know what they have, and it is time to rip the band-aid off now and find out. If they can't replace Gore, then we know what to draft in 2015.

If Lattimore ends up being the answer though, couldn't he benefit from a mentor figure like Gore in his first year?

Originally posted by lucky_49:

If Lattimore ends up being the answer though, couldn't he benefit from a mentor figure like Gore in his first year?

• fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lucky_49:

He has already had him for a year. What the other RB need is reps. And currently Gore gets the lions share. I also think it is unwise to give up 6 million in cap space for a mentor.
Gore needs to restructure his contact. That said, he's our best pass blocking back.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socalniner:
Gore needs to restructure his contact. That said, he's our best pass blocking back.
And why is he the best? It is because he gets the most reps. The other RB won't grow if they aren't on the field.
And why is he the best? It is because he gets the most reps. The other RB won't grow if they aren't on the field.

Right.It's not as if he has any skill or anything.
Share 49ersWebzone