LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

Frank Gore Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We're not cutting our bell cow. There's more to be milked.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Even if he doesn't he's not going anywhere. He has meant too much to this organization

I don't know if Baalke will see it that way. We've dealt away niner HOFers in the past that were at the end of their careers, Gore may be added to the list. I think Baalke has a price on every player. That being said I hope Gore stays...
[ Edited by Mertonschickendance on Jan 27, 2014 at 7:47 PM ]
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
He not going nowhere but if anyone is willing to take a pay cut its Frank Gore he is after one thing and that is a ring for him and for the Team
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
I don't know if Baalke will see it that way. We've dealt away niner HOFers in the past that were at the end of their careers, Gore may be added to the list. I think Baalke has a price on every player. That being said I hope Gore stays...

That was in the days where NFL players were actually dealt/traded. These days trades almost never happen and when they do 9 times out of 10 it is a QB for a draft pick(s).

No one is trading for a 30 yo RB. The only way he's not going to be on the team is if they cut him outright (or, god forbid, some sort of act of god happens to him).
I hope they keep Gore. Unlike most NFL franchises, the Niners have always been wise about using Gore, which is to say they give him the ball like crazy. I know that doesn't sound very clever, but if you have guy who can run, run him. If he's old, but he can still run, keep running him. The great RBs of yesteryear wouldn't do so well today because most teams invent reasons not to give them the ball. They alternate stud RBs with lesser RBs. They ration carries. And they cut the RBs loose as 30 nears. Seriously, if Walter Payton were in the NFL these days, he might retire with less than 9,000 rushing yards because coaches would be wringing their hands about an undersized back. Gore played well last year. I expect him to play next year. Sure, if Mark Ingram were 30, I'd cut him. If Joseph Addai were 30, I'd cut him. But this is Frank Gore. This isn't some randomly selected RB from the middle of the NFL's player distribution. Frank Gore is an outlier. Treat him accordingly. I think the Niners as a franchise and Harbaugh as a coach will do the right thing.
LOL @ these people saying we need to phase Gore out and he has nothing left in the tank. People have been saying that for like 3-4 years now. The dude just ran for over 1100 yards, and that was going once again against a lot of 7-8 men in the box. Gore's game has never revolved around speed after those knee injuries in college. It has always revolved around his great vision and terrific acceleration. He also has always played very low and underneath his pads and thus hasn't taken too many big hits and the type of pounding say an Adrian Peterson takes. Dude is so comparable to Emmitt Smith in their running styles and Emmitt played until he was 35. Gore will be 31 next year. He very well still could have another couple 1000-1200 yard seasons in him. Emmitt did at his age.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
LOL @ these people saying we need to phase Gore out and he has nothing left in the tank. People have been saying that for like 3-4 years now. The dude just ran for over 1100 yards, and that was going once again against a lot of 7-8 men in the box. Gore's game has never revolved around speed after those knee injuries in college. It has always revolved around his great vision and terrific acceleration. He also has always played very low and underneath his pads and thus hasn't taken too many big hits and the type of pounding say an Adrian Peterson takes. Dude is so comparable to Emmitt Smith in their running styles and Emmitt played until he was 35. Gore will be 31 next year. He very well still could have another couple 1000-1200 yard seasons in him. Emmitt did at his age.

Imagine what Gore would do if we had a more advanced passing attack. I'd love to see Gore running against a defense that was forced to defend the run and pass equally. People talk about how well Eddie Lacy did against us in the Green Bay game, but he was running against a nickel defense and still didn't manage to gain 4 yards a carry. Frank Gore running against a nickel defense would get nearly 5 yards a carry, even at age 31.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Imagine what Gore would do if we had a more advanced passing attack. I'd love to see Gore running against a defense that was forced to defend the run and pass equally. People talk about how well Eddie Lacy did against us in the Green Bay game, but he was running against a nickel defense and still didn't manage to gain 4 yards a carry. Frank Gore running against a nickel defense would get nearly 5 yards a carry, even at age 31.

Exactly. Gores been going up against 8 man fronts his whole career.
I Voted for Gore.
i'm open to sharing the load a bit more next season. at 30 he got more playing time than he had in many seasons in terms of total snaps played. hes earned the right to play in the new stadium and the ability to go over 10, 000 career yards in it.

Our backs have run the ball approx 25x per game under Roman. If we assume 5-7 carries to Hunter and LMJ as a change of pace, that leaves around 18-20 carries to split between Gore and Lattimore (with Boobie not re-signed).
As someone who watched great 49ers move on usually before their time was through (e.g., Joe, Jerry, Ronnie, Roger, Woody, etc.), I strongly believe we'll be releasing Gore, freeing up $6.4M worth of needed cap room and going with Hunter, James, Lattimore and a rookie RB. I suspect the front office feels the same way. Yes, fans will go nuts wondering/fretting how we'll replace Gore's production and leadership, but this won't be the first time in professional football an aging veteran gets replaced, and it won't be the last. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Gore's contract was set up for just this moment (huge roster bonus and $3M+ salary for a 31 year-old RB is code for "Goodbye").

This team (as most teams almost always do at the RB position) will find a way to cover what Gore brings to the table, whether it's with the RBs on the existing roster, one that's drafted or signed via free agency. One will either emerge as the main starter or it will be a RB by committee like most teams these days...bottom line, this team will be fine. And to paraphrase Coach Walsh, it's better to let a veteran go a year too soon than a year too late.

Let me be clear, I wouldn't be happy about it nor do I even want it to happen. I just think it will given all the variables here.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 29, 2014 at 3:44 PM ]
Of course, I was the same person who thought we would and should release Whitner before last season, so WTF do I know?
  • thl408
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
As someone who watched great 49ers move on usually before their time was through (e.g., Joe, Jerry, Ronnie, Roger, Woody, etc.), I strongly believe we'll be releasing Gore, freeing up $6.4M worth of needed cap room and going with Hunter, James, Lattimore and a rookie RB. I suspect the front office feels the same way. Yes, fans will go nuts wondering/fretting how we'll replace Gore's production and leadership, but this won't be the first time in professional football an aging veteran gets replaced, and it won't be the last. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Gore's contract was set up for just this moment (huge roster bonus and $3M+ salary for a 31 year-old RB is code for "Goodbye").

This team (as most teams almost always do at the RB position) will find a way to cover what Gore brings to the table, whether it's with the RBs on the existing roster, one that's drafted or signed via free agency. One will either emerge as the main starter or it will be a RB by committee like most teams these days...bottom line, this team will be fine. And to paraphrase Coach Walsh, it's better to let a veteran go a year too soon than a year too late.

Let me be clear, I wouldn't be happy about it nor do I even want it to happen. I just think it will given all the variables here.

I hate this scenario, but you raise excellent points.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

And that is why he is Ghost, he brings it every time, even when he doesn't want to deliver the message.

Share 49ersWebzone