LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 397 users in the forums

Jay Cutler?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by redmanc07:
The funny thing is people sit on here and say he didnt have a running game and you want to trade the 10th pick for him yet the Broncos had a better running team then we had And stop giving him praise for taking them to 8-8 he had his hands in the losses as well as the wins. Why do you think they had so many blow out losses? The D takes some blame but give some to good ol #6 because Cutler put them in bad situations early in the game and is far from a clutch performance QB. Go watch the SF v Den game and I believe the QB that got his team into winning field position was Alex Smith with the Broncos getting the ball first.

Exactly. It is baffling to me how many people are sold on this guy. He hasn't proven anything. He has a horrible attitude. And look at the way he is handling this incident. Alex Smith is not only the better player, he has a way better attitude and shows a lot more class.
cutler had asked for a trade way before this, when his qb coach left

-peter king
NO to Jay Cutler, the funny thing is we argue on here like we are the one making the decision, but when it comes down to it the 49ers are my team obviously, and if Coach singletary and the powers that be think that Jay Cutler or Kurt Warner are the way to go than i will stand behind my team and root them on like I always do, Even though im opposed to Cutler and Warner. Go 9ers
Originally posted by valrod33:
NO to Jay Cutler, the funny thing is we argue on here like we are the one making the decision, but when it comes down to it the 49ers are my team obviously, and if Coach singletary and the powers that be think that Jay Cutler or Kurt Warner are the way to go than i will stand behind my team and root them on like I always do, Even though im opposed to Cutler and Warner. Go 9ers

Where do you draw the line? Lets say that management decides the 49ers team logo should be a swastika. Are you behind the decision 100%?
Originally posted by ads_2006:

-peter king

Tom Brady asked to be traded to the 49ers---Chris Mortensen

See i can make things up to.. wheres the link?
Originally posted by 49erLifer:

Where do you draw the line? Lets say that management decides the 49ers team logo should be a swastika. Are you behind the decision 100%?

Like i said im totally opposed to Warner and Cutler but what choice do we have as fans if they were to bring one of those nimrods to the team we would have to support them, and just pray that hill or smith out perform them and take the job from them
Yeah, but , he has the damn,diabeetus.

Exactly. It is baffling to me how many people are sold on this guy. He hasn't proven anything. He has a horrible attitude. And look at the way he is handling this incident. Alex Smith is not only the better player, he has a way better attitude and shows a lot more class.

I want to know why you think Alex is a better player. I want you to evaluate Smith's strengths and weaknesses (if you think he has any weaknesses), and Cutler's.

-peter king

Could you make logical s**t up?

here is the link lazy

I can't speak for him but I draw the line at holocaust.

-peter king

Could you make logical s**t up?

here is the link lazy

lol
PWNED
Originally posted by ghostrider:

I can't speak for him but I draw the line at holocaust.

man if the niners changed there logo to that of course not i wouldnt support them
Originally posted by NolanMustDie:

I want to know why you think Alex is a better player. I want you to evaluate Smith's strengths and weaknesses (if you think he has any weaknesses), and Cutler's.

The 49ers are turning into the type of team that we see in the Ravens and Titans. We're not going to be exciting, but we're going to play solid defense and fundamental football when it comes to offense. We're going to grind out games and win by controlling the clock and tempo of the game. Minimizing turnovers will be key to our success.

Alex Smith is a smart football player that can win games by making intelligent decisions at crucial points in the game. Think of that late game drive against Arizona in 2007.

His biggest strengths are his mobility, his decision making ability and his arm. (He does need to work on his accuracy but as it stands, he is better than average in this department)

His weaknesses largely stem from his lack of success thus far. You can tell he is timid in the pocket and is sometimes unwilling to make the throw down the field that should be made. But with protection and success, these things will change.

As for Cutler, he has all the tools. But the guy has a terrible attitude and is a poor decision maker. Have you ever seen his reaction when one of his receivers drops a pass? He goes on a tirade. And look at the charade he is putting on currently. He is a loser.

Meanwhile, look at the way Alex Smith has handled his adversity. Like a professional.
His biggest strengths are his mobility, his decision making ability and his arm. (He does need to work on his accuracy but as it stands, he is better than average in this department)

His weaknesses largely stem from his lack of success thus far. You can tell he is timid in the pocket and is sometimes unwilling to make the throw down the field that should be made. But with protection and success, these things will change.

I want to go into what I bolded a little more. I know that Smith has been quite hesitant to make some throws, but not only that, it seems that he's still not used to playing from under center, because even as recently as last preseason, Smith fell into his tendancy to roll to the right, whether there is pressure or not (and in 06, he was rather notorious for doing that, and in 1 instance, his rolling to the right CAUSED a sack from Darnell Dockett because Smith [with no backside pressure on the play] ran out of the pocket and outside right tackle (ironically, Harris, who for once managed to do something decent), and basically into Dockett (who then disengaged Harris because Smith was no longer in the pocket behind Harris). Usually, unless you feel backside pressure, you don't want to outright leave the pocket, since you cut down your receiving options in half, or sometimes pretty much to none. That's why Smith has a horrible tendancy to run right only to throw the ball away. It contributed to Smith being horrible sustaining drives on 3rd down in 2006. ( http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=118425&start=270 )

Also, I'm still not so sure that Smith is comfortable in running an NFL offense that has progression reads (under Urban Meyer, Smith ran an offense that more or less had only 1 receiving target, a dump option sometimes, or Smith simply running the ball if his primary isn't open). As of last preseason, Smith was late in locating open receivers downfield (Keena Turner commented on Smith finding Battle open a little too late (safety over the top converged towards Battle and a CB playing zone adjusted to Battle, Battle was wide open underneath coverage before then). So as for his hesitancy weakness you mentioned, I think it may be that coupled with the game not slowing down enough for him, and I don't think that can be pinned down to his OC situation because not everything he has to get hinges on the OC or the system.
Originally posted by NolanMustDie:

I want to go into what I bolded a little more. I know that Smith has been quite hesitant to make some throws, but not only that, it seems that he's still not used to playing from under center, because even as recently as last preseason, Smith fell into his tendancy to roll to the right, whether there is pressure or not (and in 06, he was rather notorious for doing that, and in 1 instance, his rolling to the right CAUSED a sack from Darnell Dockett because Smith [with no backside pressure on the play] ran out of the pocket and outside right tackle (ironically, Harris, who for once managed to do something decent), and basically into Dockett (who then disengaged Harris because Smith was no longer in the pocket behind Harris). Usually, unless you feel backside pressure, you don't want to outright leave the pocket, since you cut down your receiving options in half, or sometimes pretty much to none. That's why Smith has a horrible tendancy to run right only to throw the ball away. It contributed to Smith being horrible sustaining drives on 3rd down in 2006. ( http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=118425&start=270 )

Also, I'm still not so sure that Smith is comfortable in running an NFL offense that has progression reads (under Urban Meyer, Smith ran an offense that more or less had only 1 receiving target, a dump option sometimes, or Smith simply running the ball if his primary isn't open). As of last preseason, Smith was late in locating open receivers downfield (Keena Turner commented on Smith finding Battle open a little too late (safety over the top converged towards Battle and a CB playing zone adjusted to Battle, Battle was wide open underneath coverage before then). So as for his hesitancy weakness you mentioned, I think it may be that coupled with the game not slowing down enough for him, and I don't think that can be pinned down to his OC situation because not everything he has to get hinges on the OC or the system.

All true. But listen to athletes talk about their progression in any sport. They all talk about the game slowing down with more experience. The same thing will happen with Alex. Alex has the tools. He just needs more experience and the confidence that will come with it.

We've never seen what the guy can do without being constantly under pressure. That will change this year should he get the opportunity to be the QB.
Share 49ersWebzone