LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

Darnell Washington-TE-Georgia

Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Taking a TE in the first round means your team won't be competitive for the next decade

• krizay
  • Veteran
Taking a TE in the first round means your team won't be competitive for the next decade

While I won't go that far. I would say that the ONLY way I draft a TE in round one is if I am a contending team and TE is one of the last couple holes to fill
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/gallery/nfl-draft-falcons-tight-end-kyle-pitts-hayden-hurst-atlanta/

just sayin there's a trend
Drafts to stacked with TEs to trade up for 1

At the end of the day you are still taking a collection of skills and attributes when you go after a player.

Washington is probably moving up the draft boards so I don't know how much value there is in going after him at this point.

I will say tho, it has been a LONG LONGGGG time since I have seen a TE effectively use an enormous catch radius. lots of times you see big players....play small. They really can't use their size effectively. Washington at times has looked like a grown man playing against 12 year olds. The dude uses his size and his length very well.

In the NFL, I think teams will put him outside, and CBs are going to get abused. A 6 foot CB can't play him in tight coverage, the dude is way to large, and has routinely snatch the football out of the air with one hand. The dude can palm a basketball. It would be like an average size guy catching a softball with one hand. In one of those highlight reals you will see the guy catch a ball with one hand (like most of us would a softball) and tuck the ball in his arm....never using his off hand or body to secure the ball. He has done that twice in games. Just a monstrous sized human.

On top of that he can block like a beast. Phoenix referred to him like an offensive lineman. The dude will move people in the run game.

I think he is a player worth trading up for, but he is likely out of our range.

Mel has him going in the first round now....so getting him is a pipe dream.

On the flip side, I don't think his feet are really fast, and I don't think he runs with any momentum. So its not like I think he is a kittle level weapon...but I would love the dude on the 49ers.
I like Washington a lot but he's going to get overdrafted. I think he's the absolute perfect #2 TE where he can block his ass off and make a catch for you when you need it but some team is going to draft him expecting him to be a premiere TE rather than a complementary piece and as a result he'll be seen as a disappointment.
The guy is an animal, but yeah it's highly unlikely he's there at #99 and a #2 TE isn't worth moving that far up for.

My guy Sam LaPorta may be there at #99 though. If he is I'd be surprised if he's not the pick.
Hanson Reddick would have a very difficult time trying to get around him.

Me likey TE's from Iowa
Originally posted by btthepunk:
The guy is an animal, but yeah it's highly unlikely he's there at #99 and a #2 TE isn't worth moving that far up for.

My guy Sam LaPorta may be there at #99 though. If he is I'd be surprised if he's not the pick.

Last year I counted 8 TEs in the first four rounds. LaPorta is probably not top 3 so he could be in range at 99. I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between the TEs slated rounds 3/4.
I like Washington a lot but he's going to get overdrafted. I think he's the absolute perfect #2 TE where he can block his ass off and make a catch for you when you need it but some team is going to draft him expecting him to be a premiere TE rather than a complementary piece and as a result he'll be seen as a disappointment.

Yeah, I think I agree with you on that.

He is not that slippery guy who just finds an open spot and seems to be a 3rd down king, and he really does not appear to have the foot speed to make short yardage space at will.

He does however have those massive mits/ strength and arm length to make catches in a large area. I could see him doing some of the things Michael Irving use to do, by using his sheer size and body to make space.

In a best case scenario his size alone makes him a walking miss-match on linebackers and secondary. The fact he can catch makes that more then an idle threat too.

The problem of course is there is best case scenario and then there is actual reality...and his feet do seem slow.

I wish we had the spare draft capital to find out how good he could be.

Something about the way he runs with his knees flying everywhere, think he will get hit there a bunch and constantly be beat up. Kinda like Gronk
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Why trade up for one in a stacked draft?

OR why draft a TE high ??

They say RB should never be drafted in the 1st round, I say TE should never be drafted in the 1st round.. period !!

Instead, we should draft Jake Bobo of UCLA, allow him to bulk up for another 15 lbs w/in a year or two, and watch him be the BEST TE in the NFL..

Holy s**t I agree with 9moon

Im not all the way there, but when I see these mock drafts with TEs drafted in the top 10, top 15, and all I can think is really- a team drafting that high, that didn't make the playoffs, taking a TE? Not that these guys aren't good, but going back to 2013 (and we probably can go back further),I just don't see the value. And the best in the game in the last 15 years were not first round picks (Gronk, Kelce, Kittle).

We got lucky because we certainly weren't on that path for 5 years, in spite of some really good seasons by Vernon Davis in 2009 and 2010. Wish we could get a TE with that kind of speed, but those TEs will only be available in the first lol.
Yeah, this dude seems to have it all...huge, moves very well, awesome blocker and somewhat surprisingly good hands (which are huge, BTW). I don't put as much stock in the combine as some do, but he definitely had a monster showing. He's going to make some NFL QB very happy.
he looks really cool. I like him
Share 49ersWebzone