LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

Kevin Austin-WR-Notre Dame

A later round prospect that I'd like to see the 49ers take a shot at. Austin isn't particularly polished, has been injury prone as well but late in the draft, he's an intriguing option due to his intense physicality, size and athleticism. Somewhat like Jennings, Austin just plays angry football, he's a plus blocker down the field and is good at using his body to create separation. He has good size and still has a lot of room to improve was well, having played only 13 total games in his college career. Hands are a concern as he's prone to some easy drops while making some difficult catches look easy. Its something that he can and should improve over time with more snaps.

One of the big things that I like is that he showed significant improvement in this past season, he started mostly as an afterthought, a guy that was absolutely undraftable to someone that a team with good coaching can work with over time. Plus that physicality and his pitbull kind of mindset isn't always easy to find either. His effort as a blocker would also be quite appreciated by this coaching staff.

Semi serious question… should we draft Kevin Austin or just sign recently released Miles Boykin?
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Semi serious question… should we draft Kevin Austin or just sign recently released Miles Boykin?

I'd rather have the guy that hasn't yet shown himself to be an NFL disappointment.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I'd rather have the guy that hasn't yet shown himself to be an NFL disappointment.
Agreed…potential has a shelf life and Boykin is expired.
Originally posted by ltrain:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Agreed…potential has a shelf life and Boykin is expired.

I guess I'm just looking at Austin and seeing a very similar player but one that's not as well regarded. And I'm trying to figure out if the comp is fair.
Share 49ersWebzone