There are 226 users in the forums

MadDog49er draft big board?

Hi, everyone!
I really miss being on the board this year. For the second year, I have been investing all of my spare time with my boys and their hockey development. They are both elite level players, and we are on the road a lot traveling across the country to play other teams. I will be in the road from Columbus to Chicago tonight during the draft coverage, including when the Niners pick, but will be following and dropping my thoughts from our hotel room throughout the week. I wish you all a great weekend. Have fun!

When I go all in on a typical year, my evals go 500 players or more and I don't feel comfortable without watching at least 7 games from the year before. I can say that I have been only able to completely hit one position alone this year with those goals, and that is QB (of course, Lance didn't quite hit that benchmark of games played).

My thoughts on number 3?
I think the Niners HAVE to select Fields. He is mobile, accurate, proven over numerous season, played against solid competition, and has a good arm. He is a tough kid. I am not afraid to criticize OSU players (I live in the Columbus area) who I don't believe are solid pro prospects (Damon Arnette, Billy Price, Devin Smith are a few of the many I gave lower grades than the "experts"). I think Fields is going to be really good in the NFL.

I have Fields as my number 2 QB in this class, after Lawrence. I have Wilson, Lance, and Jones as the 3-5 QBs.

If the Niners are swinging for the fences, they HAVE to pick Lance, who I believe has the highest ceiling of any of the QBs. He is just so damn raw, and is going to need at least two years to sit before he is ready to go. He is the biggest wildcard in this draft. Smart, huge arm, and the best running ability of any of the QB. Right now, he is a one-read and get the hell out here prospect, with accuracy issues. I am simply not the gambler, as a missed pick here will damage the team for a half-decade, and think Fields is the best choice for the team because the window for winning the Super Bowl is closing fast, and I don't think Lance will be ready to lift this team to that level until year three at the earliest.

The conservative route of Jones is NOT the correct selection. He might be the most QB ready to play right away, along with Lawrence. But....the upside is way too low. The other top tier QBs have a MUCH higher ceiling. His arm strength and mobility is the weakest of the group. He worked in a QB-friendly system with an NFL offensive line and NFL WRs everywhere against inferior competition. I just don't think he has the ability to carry his team to an elite level.

As for the second round and beyond, someone is going to slip out of the first round that has way too much value and will be a terrific option. Guys on my radar are: Elijah Moore (we don't need the position, but he is a helluva player and is probably a 1st rounder); Asante Samuel, Jr. (short but plays big); Zaven Collins (another low need, but long, and smooth...stud); and Azeez Ojulari (who is the best pure pass rusher in the draft, but might fall due to medicals).

My best overall player in the draft is Kyle Pitts, followed by Sewell, Lawrence, Chase and Fields.

I hope you all enjoy the weekend.

Cheers

-MD
Originally posted by FL9er:
He'll be back to give the 49ers an F draft grade when they pick Mac Jones.

Can't wait
MD IS BACK!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Hi, everyone!
I really miss being on the board this year. For the second year, I have been investing all of my spare time with my boys and their hockey development. They are both elite level players, and we are on the road a lot traveling across the country to play other teams. I will be in the road from Columbus to Chicago tonight during the draft coverage, including when the Niners pick, but will be following and dropping my thoughts from our hotel room throughout the week. I wish you all a great weekend. Have fun!

When I go all in on a typical year, my evals go 500 players or more and I don't feel comfortable without watching at least 7 games from the year before. I can say that I have been only able to completely hit one position alone this year with those goals, and that is QB (of course, Lance didn't quite hit that benchmark of games played).

My thoughts on number 3?
I think the Niners HAVE to select Fields. He is mobile, accurate, proven over numerous season, played against solid competition, and has a good arm. He is a tough kid. I am not afraid to criticize OSU players (I live in the Columbus area) who I don't believe are solid pro prospects (Damon Arnette, Billy Price, Devin Smith are a few of the many I gave lower grades than the "experts"). I think Fields is going to be really good in the NFL.

I have Fields as my number 2 QB in this class, after Lawrence. I have Wilson, Lance, and Jones as the 3-5 QBs.

If the Niners are swinging for the fences, they HAVE to pick Lance, who I believe has the highest ceiling of any of the QBs. He is just so damn raw, and is going to need at least two years to sit before he is ready to go. He is the biggest wildcard in this draft. Smart, huge arm, and the best running ability of any of the QB. Right now, he is a one-read and get the hell out here prospect, with accuracy issues. I am simply not the gambler, as a missed pick here will damage the team for a half-decade, and think Fields is the best choice for the team because the window for winning the Super Bowl is closing fast, and I don't think Lance will be ready to lift this team to that level until year three at the earliest.

The conservative route of Jones is NOT the correct selection. He might be the most QB ready to play right away, along with Lawrence. But....the upside is way too low. The other top tier QBs have a MUCH higher ceiling. His arm strength and mobility is the weakest of the group. He worked in a QB-friendly system with an NFL offensive line and NFL WRs everywhere against inferior competition. I just don't think he has the ability to carry his team to an elite level.

As for the second round and beyond, someone is going to slip out of the first round that has way too much value and will be a terrific option. Guys on my radar are: Elijah Moore (we don't need the position, but he is a helluva player and is probably a 1st rounder); Asante Samuel, Jr. (short but plays big); Zaven Collins (another low need, but long, and smooth...stud); and Azeez Ojulari (who is the best pure pass rusher in the draft, but might fall due to medicals).

My best overall player in the draft is Kyle Pitts, followed by Sewell, Lawrence, Chase and Fields.

Cheers

-MD

Hi, everyone!

My thoughts on number 3?

Cheers

-MD

Great stuff. I initially thought 2 years for Lance as well. I guess Kyle could accelerate that, but given Fields will be there and the roster etc, completely agree. Good luck with your boys.
Good to hear from you, best of luck with your kids.
Hi, everyone!

My thoughts on number 3?

Cheers

-MD

Appreciate your insight as always. Excellent reasons to limit your time here. I hope all goes well for you and your boys.

We'll be eagerly awaiting your insights when you have the time to share them.
MD
Originally posted by Zachary:
MD
this
Hi, everyone!

My thoughts on number 3?

Cheers

-MD

Thanks MD! We've been missing you this year!

MD is da man, thanks for the fly over
Hi, everyone!
‣ I really miss being on the board this year. For the second year ‣ I have been investing all of my spare time with my boys and their hockey development ...
‣ I think the Niners HAVE to select Fields. He is mobile, accurate, proven over numerous season, played against solid competition, and has a good arm. He is a tough kid ... ‣ The conservative route of Jones is NOT the correct selection ...
‣ My best overall player in the draft is Kyle Pitts, followed by Sewell, Lawrence, Chase and Fields.

Cheers
-MD

‣ Your insight is missed as well ...
‣ That's good to hear, best of luck with their development moving forward ...
‣ Would it surprise you if they don't draft fields, or for that fact, not take a QB in the until the 2nd round ??
‣ Social Media suggests the fanbase literally HATES Jones. If picked, expect more backlash than Nolan' AS over AR @ #1 in '05
‣ It wouldn't shock me at all, if Pitts is the pick. Then Sewell, and lastly Chase ... thoughts

The 49ers are poised to win sooner than later, and history shows even the greatest of Rookie QB's haven't/don't get to, let alone win SB's ...
Tonight will be interesting … and personally, I'm glad it's here. I'm beyond tired of the speculation. Mine included
[ Edited by FlayvaMeister on Apr 29, 2021 at 11:12 AM ]
I hope your boys kick ass on the ice!!
I like fields but his release is too damn slow and I just don't see him as a fit.

Lance is too raw and his designation should be qb/rb/wr/lb

Jones is too shanahany.

I'm out i hate this draft.
Hi, everyone!

My thoughts on number 3?

Cheers

-MD

When are the boys are going to be ready? The Sharks are going to have high draft picks for half a decade at least.
Share 49ersWebzone