LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 366 users in the forums

With all pre-draft activities complete, who will the Niners take?

With all pre-draft activities complete, who will the Niners take?

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Schrager and Peter King think it's either Lance or Jones with Fields as a distant 3rd...

It's Fields. Boy am I relieved
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Schrager and Peter King think it's either Lance or Jones with Fields as a distant 3rd...

Add Schefter to the conversation....
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

And if you're wrong?

Originally posted by FL9er:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

And if you're wrong?

that's also Jaires reaction when he gets to play against Mac Jones.
All this talk the jets might take Fields.. I like Lance would aid our run attach more and has the strongest arm... idk man just get it over with
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Mac Jones because I do not believe that the 49ers will be drafting a franchise QB in my lifetime.

If it's any consolation, the 49ers have really only ever drafted two franchise QB's...ever...
Originally posted by Costanza:
Is it too late to undo the trade? Wilson is the only guy I want for the price the Niners are paying.

Exactly
My dream scenario is Niners draft Fields, then trade Jimmy and their 2nd to the Pats for the 15th Pick. With Jones still available at 15 the Niners play the WFT,Bears, and Saints against eachother and trade back with one of those teams and get all their draft picks back, plus some. I think the Saints brass would love Jones because he could remind them of Brees. Niners trade the #15 pick to the Saints for their #28, 2022 1st, 2022 3rd, 2023 1st, and 2021 2nd. Then Niners trade that 2nd they got from the Saints and MM to the Colts for their #21. With that pick they draft Harris, and then with the #28 pick they draft Elijah Moore. Again this is just a dream scenario and not realistic.
I feel like my opinion of who we actually will take keeps bouncing between all three.

If we ignore all the noise and only look at reality, we're left with:
  • Shanahan and Lynch traded away serious value to get a QB
  • The trade to 3 means that they would conceivably take at minimum 3 QBs (presumably Lawrence and Wilson among them)
  • Staying at 12 presented them with two hurdles to securing a starting QB in the draft: 1) their involvement in the pro-days would be conspicuous, and 2) the chance of getting one of their guys at 12 was definitely not certain
  • The fact that the Eagles and Dolphins pulled off their trade means that all three teams were aware of the trade and no leaks occurred
  • The Niners have been active participants in Fields and Lance's 2nd pro-day and in attendance for Mac Jones' and Wilson's

If you include some "group think" perspectives:
  • Lawrence is -100,000 to go #1 (as sure of a lock as there is in the betting world)
  • Wilson is -5000 to go #2 (that means it's 50-1 odds that he won't go #2)
  • Betting lines have a tied plurality for Fields and Jones, with Lance as the third (implied probabilities: 40% for both Jones and Fields with 20% for Lance)
  • Mac Jones was not considered a top-5 QB before the Niners trade
  • The majority of the scouting community put Fields ahead of Jones. The opinions on Lance vary greatly.
  • The 49ers fan base is strongly against Mac Jones

QB perceived strengths & weaknesses:
  • Wilson - arm talent, accuracy, improvisational ability // size, durability
  • Fields - durability, deep accuracy, athletic ability // decision-making, processing-speed
  • Lance - size, durability, athletic ability, arm strength, decision-making // accuracy, experience
  • Jones - short/intermediate accuracy, processing-speed // arm strength, athletic ability, experience, improvisational ability

• Jimmy - quick release, good short/intermediate accuracy // durability, decision-making, processing speed, deep accuracy
Originally posted by JTB1974:
My dream scenario is Niners draft Fields, then trade Jimmy and their 2nd to the Pats for the 15th Pick. With Jones still available at 15 the Niners play the WFT,Bears, and Saints against eachother and trade back with one of those teams and get all their draft picks back, plus some. I think the Saints brass would love Jones because he could remind them of Brees. Niners trade the #15 pick to the Saints for their #28, 2022 1st, 2022 3rd, 2023 1st, and 2021 2nd. Then Niners trade that 2nd they got from the Saints and MM to the Colts for their #21. With that pick they draft Harris, and then with the #28 pick they draft Elijah Moore. Again this is just a dream scenario and not realistic.

Its 4/20 still right

Fields with Lance a close second
Anyone think when they do decide who they wanna take it'll get actually reported before the draft? I mean no point in a smokescreen at that point if you already know who the first 2 picks are and you figured out who you want.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Anyone think when they do decide who they wanna take it'll get actually reported before the draft? I mean no point in a smokescreen at that point if you already know who the first 2 picks are and you figured out who you want.

No. And it has nothing to do with smoke.

What if Lawrence or Wilson die in a car accident tomorrow? Scary thought right, but would make us look stupid and have to "scramble" from our announced pick with two teams ahead of us etc. Take away everything else we can imagine and it's simply for the the crazy s**t we can't imagine. There's no benefit to showing your hand.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by gold49digger:

No. And it has nothing to do with smoke.

What if Lawrence or Wilson die in a car accident tomorrow? Scary thought right, but would make us look stupid and have to "scramble" from our announced pick with two teams ahead of us etc. Take away everything else we can imagine and it's simply for the the crazy s**t we can't imagine. There's no benefit to showing your hand.

Good point I didn't consider that part. Sometimes I forget we aren't living in Madden and that life can happen
Mac Back to favorite
Share 49ersWebzone