LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

If the 49ers want Mac Jones, should they trade back in the draft?

If the 49ers want Mac Jones, should they trade back in the draft?

• fryet
  • Veteran
If the 49ers had selected Mac Jones at pick 12, 49er fans probably would have been ok with the pick, as the top 4 QB are probably long gone. However, by trading so much draft capital to get to pick 3, they could be overpaying for a player that would have been available later in the draft, possibly at their original pick. Part of managing the draft is not just picking the right players, but spending as little draft capital as possible to acquire them. Don't draft in the third round, a player you can get in the 5th, etc. So, with that in mind do you feel that the 49ers should trade back in the draft to acquire some more draft picks if their goal is Mac Jones?
  • fryet
  • Veteran
At this point, I don't think the 49ers can fall back in the draft. They have already stated they are going for a QB. If they trade back, everyone is going to know who they want (you can't count on Justin Fields or Trey Lance falling), and the possibility of a team sniping Mac Jones one pick before them is too high.

However, I think they missed out on an opportunity to get Mac Jones cheaper. If they never traded up, their only worry was really Carolina taking him at 8. They should have stayed at 12, and waited till draft day and picked him at 7. They could have offered 3 first rounds to get to 7 if Detroit wasn't willing to budge and still spent less draft capital. Also, now that Carolina has Sam Darnold, there really isn't much risk of them drafting a QB in the first round. The 49ers probably could have stayed at 12 to grab him, as it wasn't clear that they would be targeting a QB. But now that they have tipped their hand, they are probably forced to overpay for Mac Jones as they can't afford to not get him after trading 3 first rounds.

At this point, Lynch is going to look really bad any way you slice it if they draft Mac Jones.
  • thl408
Trade back? They should trade up to #2 to make sure no other team jumps them. Can't risk it.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I am surprised so many are advocating trading back to 10. What would the 49ers say if they don't get Mac Jones at 10, and in fact don't get a QB at all? Granted you got some of your draft capital back, but probably not all you spent to get to 3 in the first place (stranger things have happened, though). It would be an obvious fail, regardless of what non-QB they drafted at 10.
What's up with all this trade back after they traded up ? They are taking Fields at 3 and there you go. It feels like a lock IMO
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Trade Kittle to Jets to jump to 2 and then trade bosa to jump to no 1 pick. Don't want to miss out on Mac.
[ Edited by 4ML on Apr 14, 2021 at 5:53 PM ]
Trade back...and then keep trading back until Mac Jones isn't on the board anymore.
Originally posted by fryet:
If the 49ers had selected Mac Jones at pick 12, 49er fans probably would have been ok with the pick, as the top 4 QB are probably long gone. However, by trading so much draft capital to get to pick 3, they could be overpaying for a player that would have been available later in the draft, possibly at their original pick. Part of managing the draft is not just picking the right players, but spending as little draft capital as possible to acquire them. Don't draft in the third round, a player you can get in the 5th, etc. So, with that in mind do you feel that the 49ers should trade back in the draft to acquire some more draft picks if their goal is Mac Jones?

I wouldn't have been. I'm on record that Mac Jones is 3rd round talent.
We didn't trade all the way up to draft frickin Mac Jones
Originally posted by ImAlwaysRight:
We didn't trade all the way up to draft frickin Mac Jones

Name checks out

they should just trade out of the first round.

Get like 15-20 picks. Then draft all OL. Try to keep Jimmy Glass Man Garappolo upright for the whole season, I guess.

Draft Davis Mills from Stanford. Hes not that much worse than what Jones can give you.
they should trade back to 4, but only if after Denver has moved up to 4, and Elway has given his word to Lynch that they're taking Lance/Fields
[ Edited by DoseOfBosa on Apr 14, 2021 at 11:40 PM ]
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Trade back...and then keep trading back until Mac Jones isn't on the board anymore.

Lol. Like it!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Stay put and take him at #3.
Was in favor of trading back from 12. I put together several really nice mocks with moving back to 16 or 17 and taking Alijah Vera Tucker and adding draft capital in what I see has a pretty deep class at several positions. Could have really bolstered the roster.

But now that we are at 3, we gotta stay and mortgage the future on a QB that has at least a 50% chance of being a bust. Funny with all the draft week trades. Darnold (former #3 pick is traded.) Bridgewater (former first round pick) is traded to a team that may no longer have confidence in Drew Lock (former 2nd round pick). Jets will reset with another QB at #2 and despite the trade, the Broncos and Panthers could both still go after a QB in this draft. Shows you the importance of the position, but also how difficult it is to get right even when you draft high.
Share 49ersWebzone