LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

Have the 49ers leaked who they are drafting at #3 (i.e. Mac Jones)

Have the 49ers leaked who they are drafting at #3 (i.e. Mac Jones)

• fryet
  • Veteran
I would be ok with eating a cheeseburger at a steak house, but if the price is the same for a cheese burger and filet mignon, I am choosing the filet mignon.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Here is a counter argument that would be concerning. Lynch and Shanahan don't create their draft board alone. They have a variety of scouts that they consult and work with to create that final board. Those scouts, in meetings, might have an idea on which way Shanahan/Lynch are leaning. They sit in a meeting where Lynch is extolling the virtues of Lance, and Shanahan is talking about how Mac Jones is better, and then they whisper to reporters that the pick is Mac Jones.

The above highlights the challenges in any organization on keeping things secret. There are reasons, though, why it is believable that they may be successful in keeping it a secret. Primarily, because they have done it before in the past. The only exception, though, was Solomon Thomas (also at #3) which was linked to the 49ers well before the draft. Secondarily, in theory it is possible to discuss with your scouts in great details the pros and cons of the top 5 QB, and not tell them which ones you are favoring. Maybe you can get a sense based on which ones have more negative comments/questions, but the spy would still just be guessing.
Originally posted by fryet:
I would be ok with eating a cheeseburger at a steak house, but if the price is the same for a cheese burger and filet mignon, I am choosing the filet mignon.

I'm sure the filet would cost a lot more but the point is why spend that much when you don't have to. A burger can only be so good. After that you're paying for atmosphere.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I'm sure the filet would cost a lot more but the point is why spend that much when you don't have to. A burger can only be so good. After that you're paying for atmosphere.

But that is the issue. The 49ers are paying for filet mignon and supposedly ordering a cheese burger. If the 49ers had waited till draft day, and then traded up to #6 overall for Mac Jones spending an extra first and second round pick to get there, I wouldn't complain that much. But no one else is going to draft Mac Jones at #3 overall, so why are you spending so much draft capital to get that high? Kyle and Lynch aren't stupid, so I assume that is why they aren't drafting Mac.
But that is the issue. The 49ers are paying for filet mignon and supposedly ordering a cheese burger. If the 49ers had waited till draft day, and then traded up to #6 overall for Mac Jones spending an extra first and second round pick to get there, I wouldn't complain that much. But no one else is going to draft Mac Jones at #3 overall, so why are you spending so much draft capital to get that high? Kyle and Lynch aren't stupid, so I assume that is why they aren't drafting Mac.

I think we're saying the same thing. If they wanted the cheeseburger they could have gone to Applebees or some corner bar and paid a lot less. If they want Jones, they didn't need to trade that much and move up that high. I haven't heard a lot of other teams buzzing about the possibility of getting Jones. I think this would be a monumental overspend if they draft him at #3
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
The Niners are super secretive, yet everyone, and their mother, knows immediately who the Niners are going to draft after the trade. Seems a bit fishy, given that Kyle is the kind of guy who wants to get the edge in every possible way. They gain nothing from teams knowing who they want to pick. Just smells like a smoke-screen and won't believe who they are picking until they make their pick.

This. It's just not their M.O. to let something of this magnitude leak out. People outside of the building will speculate and the media will run with whatever narrative gets the most eyeballs.

PS. Maiocco and Schefter don't know sh*t about who the 49ers are taking. They're guessing just as much as the rest of us.

I think we're saying the same thing. If they wanted the cheeseburger they could have gone to Applebees or some corner bar and paid a lot less. If they want Jones, they didn't need to trade that much and move up that high. I haven't heard a lot of other teams buzzing about the possibility of getting Jones. I think this would be a monumental overspend if they draft him at #3

Yeah it is like they have reservations at a 5 star Michelin restaurant. and then they go there and ask the server if they have any hot dogs, because they don't want to try anything new and fancy and feel more comfortable with the old, boring standard they always have at the stadium.
Wow, the switcheroo with the thread title question. My answer is now no, the 49ers likely haven't leaked that they want Mac Jones. They don't need to, tho. Kyle's type is so damn obvious. I've been saying it from the day I started watching Mac Jones.
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 7, 2021 at 12:44 PM ]
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
Atlantas shopping now for a reason when they weren't before.

right and they wanted Lance according to all reports...so Lance to SF then

Originally posted by Heroism:
Wow, the switcheroo with the thread title question. My answer is now no, the 49ers likely haven't leaked that they want Mac Jones. They don't need to, tho. Kyle's type is so damn obvious. I've been saying it from the day I started watching Mac Jones.

why they going to Fields pro day on the 14th now then? If the pick is in and we all know who it is....there's no point.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Heroism:

why they going to Fields pro day on the 14th now then? If the pick is in and we all know who it is....there's no point.

In case of a trade down to 4.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Due diligence?

Just for clarification: me believing something=/=me wanting something.
LOL but the media knows all and SF doesn't lie

oops
The answer to the OP is no, but Mike Shanahan did.
Share 49ersWebzone