LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 290 users in the forums

Have the 49ers leaked who they are drafting at #3 (i.e. Mac Jones)

Have the 49ers leaked who they are drafting at #3 (i.e. Mac Jones)

Originally posted by thl408:
I posted this in the "4-way QB thread" but it speaks to your thought of SF not needing to put up a smokescreen. Let me know what you think, how feasible it is.

Here's my hypothesis on why we are seeing all this smoke about Mac. The Jets are about to implement the same offensive system as the 49ers and they also select before the 49ers. You might say, "who cares they are taking Wilson, what do they want with Fields?".

The 49ers do not want to show their interest in Fields because it could cause the Jets to re-consider. "Hell yeah, then we get ZWilson!". Here's the kicker, the 49ers prefer Fields.

Interesting take, by keeping everything close to the vest that leads to speculation. Why is Fields getting such bad press? Some of the stories I've heard are that he is the last one in and the first one out. With all that said he ran a 4.4 forty.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
There's no need to put up smokescreens unless they are looking to trade down and get some more capital. They have 3 choices at pick 3, it appears as though the guy they want is going to the Jets. If someone 4-10 thinks they can get their guy and trade with the Niners that's ok. I can't see teams trading with the Niners to draft Mac Jones at 3. Maybe the Niners thought they could get Zach when they made the move with the Fins. However, things changed quickly and the BYU QB kept rising. I would not be surprised if the Niners trade down a few pegs and still get Mac.

The 49ers haven't been creating the smokescreen. National media has gone with the notion that Kyle has a type and ran with it. Some are pot committed at this point

Also, the 9ers may like fields/lance/Jones more than Wilson and if Kyle's protégés hear how much Kyle loves said quarterback for the next month maybe they reconsider Wilson and take the guy Kyle really wants. Wilson is a great prospect but there isn't much argument that there are 2 others with higher ceilings. No point in showing your hand unless you're the jags with the #1 pick.
I posted this in the "4-way QB thread" but it speaks to your thought of SF not needing to put up a smokescreen. Let me know what you think, how feasible it is.

Here's my hypothesis on why we are seeing all this smoke about Mac. The Jets are about to implement the same offensive system as the 49ers and they also select before the 49ers. You might say, "who cares they are taking Wilson, what do they want with Fields?".

The 49ers do not want to show their interest in Fields because it could cause the Jets to re-consider. "Hell yeah, then we get ZWilson!". Here's the kicker, the 49ers prefer Fields.

Interesting take, by keeping everything close to the vest that leads to speculation. Why is Fields getting such bad press? Some of the stories I've heard are that he is the last one in and the first one out. With all that said he ran a 4.4 forty.

i like all three qbs

they all have their own set of strength and weaknesses. I didnt see Fields getting overtly bad press though and certainly i didnt see anyone questioning his work ethic. All three of these Qbs seem to be smart and hard working im not too worried about the intelligence of any of these qbs and their ability to pick up the offense
  • thl408

I'm not sure what Fields getting bad press has to do with what we are discussing above. What do you think about my idea that the reason the 49ers have not made it public that they like Fields is because they don't want the Jets to have a change of heart and take Fields. Kyle doesn't want Mike LaFleur (Jets offensive coordinator that came from SF) to copy him.

this doesnt make sense to me. The Jets are above the niners and are going to take their QB i doubt any team will take a different QB so the team 1 spot behind them doesnt get their QB
  • jcs
  • Veteran
There's no need to put up smokescreens unless they are looking to trade down and get some more capital. They have 3 choices at pick 3, it appears as though the guy they want is going to the Jets. If someone 4-10 thinks they can get their guy and trade with the Niners that's ok. I can't see teams trading with the Niners to draft Mac Jones at 3. Maybe the Niners thought they could get Zach when they made the move with the Fins. However, things changed quickly and the BYU QB kept rising. I would not be surprised if the Niners trade down a few pegs and still get Mac.

This is assuming the 49ers even want Fields.
[ Edited by jcs on Apr 7, 2021 at 10:24 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by ritz126:

this doesnt make sense to me. The Jets are above the niners and are going to take their QB i doubt any team will take a different QB so the team 1 spot behind them doesnt get their QB

I didn't mean to say the Jets will take Fields just to spite the 49ers. I'm saying both teams will run the same system. If the 49ers say "we like Fields", then the Jets will say "should we do more homework on Fields and consider Fields instead?".
Kyle wants to avoid that.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Originally posted by fryet:
I want to give a story about the drafting of Alex Smith. The 49ers, leading up to the draft were talking about drafting Aaron Rodgers. So the rest of the league was talking about trading up to #2 to get Alex Smith. The 49ers noticed the way the rest of the league was thinking, and switched to Alex Smith first to get someone to trade for the pick, and then they opted to actually select him #1 overall.

The funny thing would be if Kyle/Lynch are doing the Mac Jones whisper campaign to keep everyone in the dark on who they plan to pick, and the Jets then convince themselves that they should be picking Mac instead of Zach Wilson.

Not even the feeble Jets are that dumb. Wilson>>>>>>>>>>>>Jones

I don't know about that but it would not be beyond reality to see the Jets take Fields. I doubt it but it would make for fun times in NT.

I wondered this same exact thing. At the presser when they mentioned Fields. I just felt like Shanahan was hiding something lol could just be my bias projecting itself, but I just felt there was something there.
The Niners are super secretive, yet everyone, and their mother, knows immediately who the Niners are going to draft after the trade. Seems a bit fishy, given that Kyle is the kind of guy who wants to get the edge in every possible way. They gain nothing from teams knowing who they want to pick. Just smells like a smoke-screen and won't believe who they are picking until they make their pick.
[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Apr 7, 2021 at 10:31 AM ]

• jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
The Niners are super secretive, yet everyone, and their mother, knows immediately who the Niners are going to draft after the trade. Seems a bit fishy, given that Kyle is the kind of guy who wants to get the edge in every possible way. They gain nothing from teams knowing who they want to pick. Just smells like a smoke-screen and won't believe who they are picking until they make their pick.

We knew Solomon was the pick as soon as it was reported that he was classmates with Lynch, months before the draft.
Unfortunately, Yes.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Can we edit the poll question to say "Have the 49ers leaked who they are drafting at #3 (i.e. Mac Jones)"?
Using all that draft capital to move up and take Jones would be like going to Peter Luger's steakhouse in NY and ordering a cheeseburger and fries for $25. It might taste good but is it worth that much? Why would you go to a great steakhouse and order a cheeseburger when you have great steaks sitting there?
  • thl408
Originally posted by fryet:
Can we edit the poll question to say "Have the 49ers leaked who they are drafting at #3 (i.e. Mac Jones)"?

Go for it. You're the author of the thread. Just Edit post #1 of this thread.
[ Edited by thl408 on Apr 7, 2021 at 11:17 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone