LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

49ers acquire No. 3 pick in 2021 NFL draft from Miami

Originally posted by titan:
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Originally posted by 49inchesdeep:
Y'all think Kyle and Saleh had a convo on who the jets are taking (maybe the jets don't want to trade down. ) and are now confident enough to know that at #3 their guy will be there?

Probably enough convos to have an idea. I wouldn't be surprised if Jets go Sewell or trade down for more picks this year and next. Just about every non-QB player mocked in the top 12 could be an impact player in year 1 for Saleh and Darnold.

I still think we are in a gambling spot at 3rd pick. If someone trades for the 2nd spot, I'm sure they are taking a QB. Unless KS would be satisfied with any of these QB's..Jones,Lance,Fields, or Wilson.

I wonder if there's any chance that ATL makes an offer for #3 for Fields if they're really in love with him.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I have a theory about the trade. There is a lot of talk about 49ers drafting to #3, and not knowing who they are going to pick. Of course, it could be a lie, but they had to have multiple players they liked as you couldn't trust that someone like Justin Fields would be available at #3. So here is my theory, they already did enough research on Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson, and knew that they would be happy to draft them at #3. They don't need to scout Justin Fields much as they already have extensive knowledge about him, and thought if they did no more research they would be happy to pick him at 3. When they traded up to #3, they probably had not completed their scouting of Mac Jones, as he was the 5th prospect on everyone's board. But now that they were at 3, it was time for them to do their due diligence. They had to choose between Justin's Pro day and Mac Jones'. Well, they know Justin Fields, so they started to dig in depth on Mac Jones. Those involved in the draft meetings are only hearing about the 49ers talking about Mac Jones, and praising his best traits, and they then leak to reporters that the 49ers are leaning towards Mac Jones. But what was really happening was that Mac Jones just happened to be the one they were doing an in depth evaluation at the time. Now Mac Jones evaluation is probably complete, and they are now taking a final look at Justin Fields which they already know they like, they just have to decide if they like him more than everyone else.

Trey Lance might still need more evaluation, so it wouldn't surprise me if we hear more about him in the next week.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
That's a lot to give up to draft Mac Jones.

Never forget this is the first thing I read on the day of the trade. Never forget
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
That's a lot to give up to draft Mac Jones.

Never forget this is the first thing I read on the day of the trade. Never forget

Share 49ersWebzone