There are 145 users in the forums

Jaelan Phillips-EDGE-Miami

Originally posted by btthepunk:
There's a big difference between his 2 month retirement and Joe Williams'. Williams retired because of depression and his heart wasn't in it. Phillips was worried about permanent brain damage leading to a short life. His love for the game brought him back. My only concern with him is if he's over the concussion issues. If he's there at 43 and we didn't get a pass rusher in the 1st then they better run up to the podium to pick him.

I totally disagree. First, quitting is quitting--period. Second, Joe Williams arguably has a more justified reason for quitting given his reason is external. His reason for quitting wasn't caused by the game itself. This dude quit because he got concussions.

Worried about your health?! You're in the wrong sport, dude. Concussions are coming aplenty.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 12, 2021 at 11:16 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
There's a big difference between his 2 month retirement and Joe Williams'. Williams retired because of depression and his heart wasn't in it. Phillips was worried about permanent brain damage leading to a short life. His love for the game brought him back. My only concern with him is if he's over the concussion issues. If he's there at 43 and we didn't get a pass rusher in the 1st then they better run up to the podium to pick him.

I totally disagree. First, quitting is quitting--period. Second, Joe Williams arguably has a more justified reason for quitting given his reason is external. His reason for quitting wasn't caused by the game itself. This dude quit because he got a concussion.

Worried about your health?! You're in the wrong sport, dude. Concussions are coming aplenty.

He's obviously not worried about it anymore, he dealt with his issue and probably realized it wasn't as bad as he thought. He probably was getting bad (or good really) advice . His heart is in the game. Joe never dealt with his issues.
He's obviously not worried about it anymore, he dealt with his issue and probably realized it wasn't as bad as he thought. He probably was getting bad (or good really) advice . His heart is in the game. Joe never dealt with his issues.

I don't buy it. And I highly doubt the 49ers will. Dude probably came back for a quick payday after realizing the real world sucks.
Once a quitter, Always a quitter

I don't buy it. And I highly doubt the 49ers will. Dude probably came back for a quick payday after realizing the real world sucks.

Chris Borland type sh*t.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Chris Borland type sh*t.

The kid is talented, but he's a quitter. And maybe he works out for someone else, but he's a risk this team can't afford to take. We have waaaay too many holes to gambling with picks.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 12, 2021 at 11:52 PM ]
I have him as ER2 when based on talent alone, but I agree he is undraftable in the top 64. It's more likely he came back for an NFL pay check than it is for his love of the game, imo

I quit a job before, also quit smoking. Am I a quitter?
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
I have him as ER2 when based on talent alone, but I agree he is undraftable in the top 64. It's more likely he came back for an NFL pay check than it is for his love of the game, imo

I don't think coming back a from a 2 month retirement then having to sit out a season sounds like a guy who only wants a paycheck. Even if that was the case, he knows if he plays well he can sign a $100M+ contract after his 3rd season.

I saw an article a while back that showed professional athletes who temporarily retire come back and are successful.

I don't see it as being any different than players who opted out this season.
[ Edited by btthepunk on Feb 13, 2021 at 7:28 AM ]
I don't thinking coming back a from a 2 month retirement then having to sit out a season sounds like a guy who only wants a paycheck. Even if that was the case, he knows if he plays well he can sign a $100M+ contract after his 3rd season.

I saw an article a while back that showed professional athletes who temporarily retire come back and are successful.

I don't see it as being any different than players who opted out this season.

Everything to me seems as if his transfer had more to do with wanting to study music and be a producer than it did concussions

Shows a lack of dedication, otherwise you'd have upped your game to even more packs a day. Definitely undraftable.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Shows a lack of dedication, otherwise you'd have upped your game to even more packs a day. Definitely undraftable.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Overkill:
This guy medically retired from football at one point. Given what we just went through, I have to wonder if Lynch would be too shell shocked to spend a top 50 pick on him.

It's tough to watch these highlights and not envision pairing him with Bosa, though.

And that is the major risk, especially considering this team's track record with injury prone players. In terms of technical ability, Phillips is the most complete edge rusher in the draft. If he could stay healthy he'd be a perfect running mate with Bosa but that is a giant IF.

Frank Gore was a big risk too. Gotta take chances sometimes, nobody wins playing it safe every time.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Frank Gore was a big risk too. Gotta take chances sometimes, nobody wins playing it safe every time.

Frank Gore was a 3rd rounder. In the 3rd it makes more sense to swing for the fences on a guy with major injury issues.
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Chris Borland type sh*t.

The kid is talented, but he's a quitter. And maybe he works out for someone else, but he's a risk this team can't afford to take. We have waaaay too many holes to gambling with picks.

This. I can't even look at that until day 3. Like round 6. Plus there's always Olujari.
Share 49ersWebzone