LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

49ers need a 5'10" running QB. With a great arm and accuracy.

Originally posted by Monsterniner:
Zach WIison is taller but with the right development can be as good as the midgets.

Maybe a possibility.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Why not a 6'3" 224 lb QB who can run (Trey Lance)? I would be happy with him as the QB of the future as well.

That could be one of the possible guys.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Russell Wilson's height is one of his most exploitable weaknesses. It sometimes interferes with his in rhythm throwing and allows teams who do a contain mushrush to cause him problems from time to time.

It doesn't seem to prevent him from being a top 5 QB.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
If everything else was equal, I'd prefer a taller QB but most of the taller guys don't move around like the smaller guys. The thing that amazes me about Murray and Wilson is their arm strength. It's amazing how far and accurately they can throw the deep ball. I love watching Wilson's passes. He spins the ball so well that there is barely a wobble.

Both have amazing arm strength for their size. Both have an absolutely incredible deep ball.

The bigger guys don't move around with the shiftiness, quickness or change of direction that they have.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 21, 2020 at 8:29 PM ]
The 49ers don't really need any mold or type of QB....they, like every NFL team, need a good QB. Mobility is nice and all, but given the choice of a Russell or a Kyler vs. so-called statues like P. Manning or Marino.....I'm taking the latter every day and twice on game days.
Originally posted by RickyRoma:
The 49ers don't really need any mold or type of QB....they, like every NFL team, need a good QB. Mobility is nice and all, but given the choice of a Russell or a Kyler vs. so-called statues like P. Manning or Marino.....I'm taking the latter every day and twice on game days.

Agree. The notion that any team "Needs" a short running QB is laughable.
Wilson is an amazing QB but with all his mobility he is one of the most often sacked quarterbacks. Both Wilson and Murray have thrown a fair amount of interceptions this year. Murray is incredibly elusive. Jackson was dominant running last year and has been somewhat figured out this year. Murray will likely see his running yardage go down. Also, I think Murray and Wilson are towards the top of the league in blocked passes.

There are many reasons sub six foot quarterbacks rarely succeed in the NFL. Having to throw over offensive and defensive lineman that are nearly a foot taller with long arms is a major limitation. These two are the exception to the rule. Also, what sub 6 foot QB is worth drafting? The top 20 draft hopefuls are 6 feet and over.

The Cardinals are a pathetic 49er second half and a Hail Mary away from having the 49ers record.

What we need is a QB that can make reads quick enough to not look like they are always under pressure like 49ers current group. One that can move in the pocket to buy some extra time. A QB that can get some yards rushing once in a while. We need a Steve Young type. Zach Wilson has a lot of those traits, and I hope in spite of his joke schedule this year he is the real deal. The BYU bowl game will likely be his first real test of the season.

Trey Lance is very intriguing. I'm not into most QBs from football factories (USC, Alabama, Ohio State, Florida schools) so another Ohio State QB isn't worth mortgaging the future. Clemson is a new factory that is on the verge of producing incredible QBs with Watson, Lawrence, and DJ Uiagalelei (in a few years).

I wouldn't pass on an incredible QB prospect based on size, but it is a joke to say you need a 5 10 QB. Also, would Shanahan tailor his offense to suit QB like The Ravens or Cardinals?
Ian book is a midget but i don't know if he has it.
Tyler Shough is another prospect to watch out of Oregon. High mobility, strong arm, deep accuracy is good but can improve, and if he continues to progress he'll probably end up as a 1st round pick.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Ian book is a midget but i don't know if he has it.

He doesn't.

Originally posted by PuckFarag10:
Tyler Shough is another prospect to watch out of Oregon. High mobility, strong arm, deep accuracy is good but can improve, and if he continues to progress he'll probably end up as a 1st round pick.

If the 49ers are in position to draft him then rest assured that both Lynch and Shanahan have been fired. They can get away with struggling this year due to COVID and the injury issues but if they're in the running for a top QB prospect next season, patience will rapidly start running out.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
My lord these guys are so much better than what we see it's not even funny. Our QB situation is horrific. This is what real NFL QB play looks like. We need a new QB. Or 3 of them. Maybe keep Mullens as a backup. The rest can go.

When you roster 3 QBs you really have none

But but but Shannys a QB whisperer! An offensive genius! Don't make me mention the WRs who don't win downfield or the OL who can't block

[ Edited by Big_Daddy on Nov 22, 2020 at 1:16 PM ]
[ Edited by Big_Daddy on Nov 22, 2020 at 1:16 PM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by kujon11:
since when did russell wilson 1.0/2.0 throw great from the pocket.

Russell Wilson 1.0 is actually pretty accurate there. Russell Wison 2.0 is not really bad from there IMO. But why do you even care how they get it done? If they get it done they get it done right. You just want a QB to throw touchdowns and win games. I don't care how. It bothers you if they throw touchdowns and win games outside the pocket? Why?

R.Wilson doesn't throw from the pocket very often. He's constantly on the move or he takes deep drop backs in order to see down field.
Originally posted by kujon11:
since when did russell wilson 1.0/2.0 throw great from the pocket.

Wilson is a great pocket passer.
Share 49ersWebzone