There are 221 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Tom Brady is not an athletic freak. If you think he can be Tom or Peyton, you still pick the guy.

if people think that's who he's gonna be he should be going #1 overall. Period.

I'm of the opinion he might get drafted over Fields or Wilson due to his consistency.

Sorry Phoenix. He's certainly going top 15 overall.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
What do you mean? You think if he didn't have the best OL in the country, multiple 1st rd WRs (one who won the Heisman), an absolute unit at the run running back position and coaching that's overall on another level...he'd be doing what he's doing? You don't think Zach Wilson in Bama would play better with all that around him? Really any QB for that matter?

Eleven Units Earn Semifinalist Honor Through Tough, Physical O-Line Play

NEW YORK, New York – December 14, 2020 — The Foundation for Teamwork announced today eleven semifinalists for the 2020 Joe Moore Award, given to the top offensive line unit in college football. The Joe Moore Award has annually presented the unique award since 2015.

The eleven semifinalists include (in alphabetical order): #1 Alabama, #23 Buffalo, #14 BYU, #9 Coastal Carolina, #18 Iowa, #8 Iowa State, Kentucky, #17 Louisiana, #2 Notre Dame, #3 Ohio State, and #5 Texas A&M.

I know I'm 🚫, oh well.

BYU had a top 11 OL versus worse competition
If Zach Wilson is there you take him for sure. Otherwise draft Mac and beef up your OL, re sign Trent and Fred and sign some FAs to replenish the secondary. In either case you keep Jimmy for one more year only.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
If Zach Wilson is there you take him for sure. Otherwise draft Mac and beef up your OL, re sign Trent and Fred and sign some FAs to replenish the secondary. In either case you keep Jimmy for one more year only.

Jones and Wilson only 2 guys I want. Just wouldn't trade farm for Wilson
Originally posted by krizay:

Yup I'm pretty anti trading up for anyone. And even if we could trade for Watson, I wouldn't give up more than Jimmy plus 2 firsts.

This...and I'm the only one in the Trask bandwagon.

If the team wants to trade up for Wilson, they may as well hit up Houston for Watson.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I'm of the opinion he might get drafted over Fields or Wilson due to his consistency.

WB you can't be serious, over Fields or Wilson? And zero certainty that he goes top 15. I'm of the opinion that your opinions will be wrong
Tom Brady is not an athletic freak. If you think he can be Tom or Peyton, you still pick the guy.

if people think that's who he's gonna be he should be going #1 overall. Period.

Or similar to Drew Brees as well. I guess I should've said similar. I know what I meant as far as the point lol. But yeah, if you look at the guy and see he has all the intangibles, all the mental tools, and all the physical tools outside of running ability, why wouldn't he go high? Supporting cast didn't hurt Tua. It didn't hurt Burrows obviously. It won't hurt Lawrence. I doubt it impacts Jones' evaluations much. Size is adequate at 6-3 215. He can make all the throws, just doesn't have a Rodgers/Mahomes cannon to flick it 65-70 yards. Overall, looks like a top 15 guy to me.
Originally posted by 49ers808:

WB you can't be serious, over Fields or Wilson? And zero certainty that he goes top 15. I'm of the opinion that your opinions will be wrong

Several weeks ago I agreed with you. But he's been flawless in all his games since then.

Just look at the board. Do you really think the highest graded QB in college history is going to get past New England at 15? Especially with how much Belichick loves players from Bama.

There's no doubt in my mind he's going too 15 now and I think one of those other two players could slip down the draft.
Or similar to Drew Brees as well. I guess I should've said similar. I know what I meant as far as the point lol. But yeah, if you look at the guy and see he has all the intangibles, all the mental tools, and all the physical tools outside of running ability, why wouldn't he go high? Supporting cast didn't hurt Tua. It didn't hurt Burrows obviously. It won't hurt Lawrence. I doubt it impacts Jones' evaluations much. Size is adequate at 6-3 215. He can make all the throws, just doesn't have a Rodgers/Mahomes cannon to flick it 65-70 yards. Overall, looks like a top 15 guy to me.

It's funny we say his size is fine, yet he's damn near identical as far as size goes with Wilson (who people say his size is a issue). Difference is Wilson can move around and protect himself. Jones is at mercy to his OL much much more. Like Miller said the physical ability between Burrow and Jones aren't the same and I agree.

I will disagree he's a top 15 guy, which is fine we all can't agree on everything

Originally posted by genus49:
Is it though? How can you possibly know what he would do on another team?

IMO you can do a lot worse than Jones.

What do you mean? You think if he didn't have the best OL in the country, multiple 1st rd WRs (one who won the Heisman), an absolute unit at the run running back position and coaching that's overall on another level...he'd be doing what he's doing? You don't think Zach Wilson in Bama would play better with all that around him? Really any QB for that matter?

It absolutely is a discussion worth talking about...that's why skill set matters in the evaluation of a player, more than stats. You can teach a player coverages, reads, progressions, protection calls etc...God given ability isn't something you can teach.

As for your last statement, I don't think Jones blows, I do think there's a ceiling there and it's already at its max...when you say we could do worse then him, that's not what I'm looking for at 12th overall and wanting to make him my FQB for the next decade seem like that's been the M.O for QBs in SF for the past 2 decades.

I mean it's hypothetical. We automatically assume that someone like Lance or Wilson play even better with Bama's roster but Jones doesn't get the benefit of the doubt that on a weaker roster(and vs weaker competition he couldn't play well like those guys)

Hell I responded to your post just seeing the first part and you included the Zach Wilson in Bama would play better.

And you watched Kap right? God given ability for days...never developed as a passer or learned all those things you mention.

Some guys have the tools and develop - Mahomes, Allen. Some don't. Just because you hand someone a physics book doesn't mean they can grasp all the concepts and learn physics.

That's why getting a guy who has the things that have made QBs successful for years already down isn't a bad thing...even if the ceiling is low and he cannot do things some of these stud QBs can do when plays break down.

We have a pretty good roster and we have Kyle Shanahan. Having one of the elites would be awesome but it's not a necessity. The plus of having Kyle.
I know I'm 🚫, oh well.

BYU had a top 11 OL versus worse competition

Just for the record. BYU often has good O lines since many of their players are often older and are more physically mature. They have that mission that the Mormons do and that keeps them in school longer. They also get a lot of big Pacific Islanders that often make really good O linemen because there are a lot of Mormons in Tahiti, Samoa and Hawaii.
Originally posted by genus49:
I mean it's hypothetical. We automatically assume that someone like Lance or Wilson play even better with Bama's roster but Jones doesn't get the benefit of the doubt that on a weaker roster(and vs weaker competition he couldn't play well like those guys)

Hell I responded to your post just seeing the first part and you included the Zach Wilson in Bama would play better.

And you watched Kap right? God given ability for days...never developed as a passer or learned all those things you mention.

Some guys have the tools and develop - Mahomes, Allen. Some don't. Just because you hand someone a physics book doesn't mean they can grasp all the concepts and learn physics.

That's why getting a guy who has the things that have made QBs successful for years already down isn't a bad thing...even if the ceiling is low and he cannot do things some of these stud QBs can do when plays break down.

We have a pretty good roster and we have Kyle Shanahan. Having one of the elites would be awesome but it's not a necessity. The plus of having Kyle.

Well, they played outstanding surrounded by a 10th of the talent Jones had (coaching as well). Do you think Jones skill set on a team with a much worse OL would help or hurt him? IF he was throwing to WRs that weren't gonna even get drafted would that help or hurt him? playmakers that can't separate at will?

I mean come one dude.

Kap was never a good QB not even at Nevada, he was a pure athlete. He wasn't a natural thrower and had horrible mechanics. I think we can safely say Harbs is not some QB whisper who can develop QBs.

Clearly you interview this guys and SEE what they know and can learn. Get them on the white board, have conversations. Talk to their coaches etc etc etc. One of the main reasons these top end QBs fail, isn't because they're not talented or can't learn the difference between coverages or pickup a blitz...it's because the coaching staff is f**king awful. It's because the roster is f**king awful. Teams don't give these players the proper tools to be successful. They don't get the proper time to develop. My god we have people actually saying Miami should move off Tua? I mean give me a break.

Why not give Kyle the best possible QB with the most upside? For once give the man a legit stud QB...instead of "well we could do worse"

I mean the way people are talking about him in here...he should be the 2nd overall pick in the draft.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 13, 2021 at 1:11 PM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Just for the record. BYU often has good O lines since many of their players are often older and are more physically mature. They have that mission that the Mormons do and that keeps them in school longer. They also get a lot of big Pacific Islanders that often make really good O linemen because there are a lot of Mormons in Tahiti, Samoa and Hawaii.

Very true.

They had 1 all American and another guy that was finalist for his positions award for top player.

So Wilson had a top OL against s**ttier competition
Share 49ersWebzone