LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

To me its basically Matt Ryan at BC all over again. Similar strengths and weaknesses. High level processing, quick release, can throw accurately to all levels of the field, good pocket presence and can stand in and make the tough throws with pressure in his face.

If he continues his high level of play, I think he can solidify himself as a Top 4 QB in this class.

Thank you.

It's funny how people can be so critical of Mac Jones just because he doesn't have the same fastball that Zach Wilson has. You mentioned right here what others are seeing when watching his games: he's cerebral. Can't understand how some on here can misconstrue that as a bad thing. A QB doesn't have to be as athletic as Mahomes/Watson/Lamar to succeed in the NFL. Processing all his reads, his release, his accuracy....against high level competition and doing so in a pro-style offense with new weapons.

He may not have the potential of Zach Wilson, but looking as far as a fit on Shanahan's offense, I think Mac would be a great pick. And no, folks, that doesn't mean I hate Zach Wilson or would pass on him for Mac
What I don't like of Jones is what they say about him on Draft network:

Pros (+): As a junior, Jones was called upon after serving in a backup role to Tua Tagovailoa. He is always on balance and keeps his knees bent combined with a firm base as a thrower. As a result, his ball placement is highly consistent when throwing to the short-to-intermediate areas of the field. Jones contains a squeaky clean deliver, which enables him to be on time and anticipate during quick throws. Knowing his overall arm strength limitations, Jones is a smart and cerebral player that knows how to get through each option on his progressions. He doesn't shy away from dumping the ball to his final option prematurely in order to get the ball out of his hand quickly. The Tide QB understands how to operate the offense cleanly and in his own way, which is as efficient as possible. Jones is accurate and makes safe decisions within the scheme. Jones isn't an overly athletic player that create outside of the pocket, but he is sufficient at working slight moves within the pocket to place his vision into new avenues in order to make throws from a new surface. He is also unafraid to hang tough in a murky pocket as he keeps his eyes up and ahead to deliver cloudy throws in his sightline.

Cons (–): The biggest concerns with Jones is with his lack of mobility outside of structure and average arm strength, which makes protection in front of him vital to his success. Jones doesn't always have a good feel for deep throws and the touch necessary to connect with targets down the field. There's a significant drop off on his ability to place the ball on attempts downfield. He routinely over/under throws targets that have created separation against matchups. As with Alabama, he will have to have a near perfect surrounding setup in order to see his full potential.

Basically is 2017 Jimmy Garoppolo. Besides, Never trust any quarterback who comes from Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC, Texas, Florida or Florida State.
Originally posted by NIMV4683:

Pros (+): As a junior, Jones was called upon after serving in a backup role to Tua Tagovailoa. He is always on balance and keeps his knees bent combined with a firm base as a thrower. As a result, his ball placement is highly consistent when throwing to the short-to-intermediate areas of the field. Jones contains a squeaky clean deliver, which enables him to be on time and anticipate during quick throws. Knowing his overall arm strength limitations, Jones is a smart and cerebral player that knows how to get through each option on his progressions. He doesn't shy away from dumping the ball to his final option prematurely in order to get the ball out of his hand quickly. The Tide QB understands how to operate the offense cleanly and in his own way, which is as efficient as possible. Jones is accurate and makes safe decisions within the scheme. Jones isn't an overly athletic player that create outside of the pocket, but he is sufficient at working slight moves within the pocket to place his vision into new avenues in order to make throws from a new surface. He is also unafraid to hang tough in a murky pocket as he keeps his eyes up and ahead to deliver cloudy throws in his sightline.

Cons (–): The biggest concerns with Jones is with his lack of mobility outside of structure and average arm strength, which makes protection in front of him vital to his success. Jones doesn't always have a good feel for deep throws and the touch necessary to connect with targets down the field. There's a significant drop off on his ability to place the ball on attempts downfield. He routinely over/under throws targets that have created separation against matchups. As with Alabama, he will have to have a near perfect surrounding setup in order to see his full potential.

Basically is 2017 Jimmy Garoppolo. Besides, Never trust any quarterback who comes from Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC, Texas, Florida or Florida State.

Pretty sure that is old and based off of his 2019 tape. This year, he has been probably the most accurate deep ball thrower in college football.

Yeah, you lost me in that statement right there.....it doesn't matter what school they are coming from. If they have the tools, NFL coaches will count on their coaching to develop those skills.

The scouting report, I believe, was posted prior to the start of the CFB season....where Mac Jones wasn't a full time starter yet. There are a ton of clips from this season alone where Mac gets absolutely destroyed because a defender gets past the line, and he throws it in a basket for his receiver. This season has proved something real important for Mac, he continues to grow each game. Last year, taking over for Tua, he struggled at points due to his lack of experience and getting used to his starters. Then, he dominated Michigan in the bowl game. COVID hit and limited his offseason training. He also lost a ton of starters on offense. Lost Jaylen Waddle due to injury, and he's still performing at a HEISMAN level.
He looks good from what I've seen but I have to say that DeVonta Smith looks better. He plays like a big guy but he's only 6'1: and about 175 lbs. His route running and separation are top notch. He also is very good at coming back and fighting for the ball.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
He looks good from what I've seen but I have to say that DeVonta Smith looks better. He plays like a big guy but he's only 6'1: and about 175 lbs. His route running and separation are top notch. He also is very good at coming back and fighting for the ball.

Just need some clarification....are you saying that Mac Jones looks good because DeVonta Smith is playing at an elite level?
The more i look at his tape the more i think Shanahan would prefer this guy over Zac Wilson if he is looking at qbs. Wouldnt hate the pick but we need to start scaring defenses in the secondary if we are gonna take the next step and i think Wilson would be better at that
Originally posted by MoeJontana84:
The more i look at his tape the more i think Shanahan would prefer this guy over Zac Wilson if he is looking at qbs. Wouldnt hate the pick but we need to start scaring defenses in the secondary if we are gonna take the next step and i think Wilson would be better at that

Wilson can probably do everything Jones can, and a whole lot more. Wilson really reminds me of Mahomes with some of the throws he makes, as well as the way he moves in and out of the pocket.

Exactly. Mac Jones could be a decent QB with the right coach and roster around him but as already said, he's a game manager at best as Garoppolo but nothing threatening like Mahomes or Russell are. Reading Maiocco's latest article saying Shanahan being picky of taking QBs who FITS his system is a gamble because while they can execute when playbook is running successfully but they struggle when they're asked to put the team over their shoulders which is why Shanahan would never find success because is reluctant to develop AND FLEX HIS GAME PLAN around a skilled and physically gifted QB who came from a non pro offensive scheme.

Bringing safe blankets as Cousins or Ryan won't be a difference of keeping Garoppolo as starter.
[ Edited by NIMV4683 on Nov 3, 2020 at 10:29 AM ]
Exactly. Mac Jones could be a decent QB with the right coach and roster around him but as already said, he's a game manager at best as Garoppolo but nothing threatening like Mahomes or Russell are. Reading Maiocco's latest article saying Shanahan being picky of taking QBs who FITS his system is a gamble because while they can execute when playbook is running successfully but they struggle when they're asked to put the team over their shoulders which is why Shanahan would never find success because is reluctant to develop AND FLEX HIS GAME PLAN around a skilled and physically gifted QB who came from a non pro offensive scheme.

Bringing safe blankets as Cousins or Ryan won't be a difference of keeping Garoppolo as starter.

Ryan was an MVP under Shanahan and carried the Falcons to the Superbowl. Only thing that can hold him back as a QB for the 49ers would be his age. He knows how to get the best out of the weapons under Shanahan's offensive scheme.

Cousins and Jimmy G are probably in that same tier, but Ryan was a level above them.

Who has Zach Wilson played that makes people think he could do well versus good teams? He wasn't special in 2019. I wouldn't anoint Wilson until he plays some good teams.

One thing I would look for in a QB is background in other sports especially baseball. These guys get some creative arm angles with baseball backgrounds: Russell Wilson, Mahomes, Kyler Murray, Brady, (some old timers Marino. Elway, Archie Manning, Stabler, etc...)

Wilson can probably do everything Jones can, and a whole lot more. Wilson really reminds me of Mahomes with some of the throws he makes, as well as the way he moves in and out of the pocket.
Originally posted by jb49ers80:

Pretty sure that is old and based off of his 2019 tape. This year, he has been probably the most accurate deep ball thrower in college football.

His touch and accuracy on his deep ball is truly a thing of beauty. People try to knock him because he's not exceptionally gifted, but that hasn't limited guys like Brees, Brady, Ryan, and countless others who were strictly pocket passers and excelled at playing within a system, having great mechanics, and the ability to quickly read a defense and make good decisions with the football.

Everyone is just envious seeing young guys like Mahomes, Murray, Watson, Allen, and Jackson, so now they think this is the direction the league is heading. You can still win with a natural pocket passer.
Originally posted by Nastastical:
His touch and accuracy on his deep ball is truly a thing of beauty. People try to knock him because he's not exceptionally gifted, but that hasn't limited guys like Brees, Brady, Ryan, and countless others who were strictly pocket passers and excelled at playing within a system, having great mechanics, and the ability to quickly read a defense and make good decisions with the football.

Everyone is just envious seeing young guys like Mahomes, Murray, Watson, Allen, and Jackson, so now they think this is the direction the league is heading. You can still win with a natural pocket passer.

Hit it on the nail. Everyone is enamored looking for the next Russell Wilson and Patrick Mahomes. The athleticism is always enticing, but there's a reason Mac Jones is receiving Heisman hype. In a ton of articles/posts about him, one constant is that he throws the best deep ball in college football.
Originally posted by AsianJeff:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

To me its basically Matt Ryan at BC all over again. Similar strengths and weaknesses. High level processing, quick release, can throw accurately to all levels of the field, good pocket presence and can stand in and make the tough throws with pressure in his face.

If he continues his high level of play, I think he can solidify himself as a Top 4 QB in this class.

Thank you.

It's funny how people can be so critical of Mac Jones just because he doesn't have the same fastball that Zach Wilson has. You mentioned right here what others are seeing when watching his games: he's cerebral. Can't understand how some on here can misconstrue that as a bad thing. A QB doesn't have to be as athletic as Mahomes/Watson/Lamar to succeed in the NFL. Processing all his reads, his release, his accuracy....against high level competition and doing so in a pro-style offense with new weapons.

He may not have the potential of Zach Wilson, but looking as far as a fit on Shanahan's offense, I think Mac would be a great pick. And no, folks, that doesn't mean I hate Zach Wilson or would pass on him for Mac

Matt Ryan has a strong arm IMO. Does his OL and WRs come with him too?

I'd be disappointed if he was the QB of the future for this team. At some point potential and upside with elite traits should matter at the most important position in sports. I don't need Kyle to think he can just throw whomever back there and scheme it all up. At some point he's gotta realize his QB needs to make plays on his own and when everything isn't perfect.
Matt Ryan's arm is definitely good, but he's another full-body thrower, albeit a high-level one. There's nothing wrong with that, but those types of QBs are heavily dependent on having a clean pocket.

This is how I qualify a strong arm: Can they throw the ball on a rope with mainly just their upper body? This is important because a QB is going to have to deal with pressure, and they're not always going to be able to set up their throwing platform or step into their throw; A throw on the move or across their body; Or they'll have a defender hanging on them and can only throw with their upper body; a lower-body injury(cough*Jimmy); etc.

Mac Jones is 100% a full-body thrower. If his OL isn't doing their job, he's not going to be nearly as effective. And this may sound like common sense, but there are QBs in the league that can function even without their OL doing its job because in large part due to their arm talent.
[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 4, 2020 at 2:25 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone