LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

Zach Wilson, QB BYU

Shop 49ers game tickets

Zach Wilson, QB BYU

Originally posted by JoseCortez:
He sucked sophomore year. What happened?

He had shoulder and thumb surgeries.

Worrisome I know.
Originally posted by PuckFarag10:
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
We definitely want WFT to win the division

Yup. Puts them way outside of the running for Wilson and gives us an opportunity. Just need Shanahan to draft him and not have his head in the sand.

Our BOY Alex Smith can help us out with situation. GO ALEX SMITH!!!!!
[ Edited by MileHigh49 on Nov 27, 2020 at 9:11 PM ]
Originally posted by MileHigh49:

Yup. Puts them way outside of the running for Wilson and gives us an opportunity. Just need Shanahan to draft him and not have his head in the sand.

This. Alex helped turn KC around so please take Wash to a division title so we can grab a qb before them
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Heroism:
The kid is special.

Maybe? But you aren't going to learn much watching Texas State game film.

Sure you are. He's still gotta make the throws.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by MileHigh49:

This. Alex helped turn KC around so please take Wash to a division title so we can grab a qb before them

Alex did help KC but they had a decent team already.

But for sure Alex has been professional at screwing us out of a better draft position late in the season. I hope he continues this in Washington
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Alex did help KC but they had a decent team already.

But for sure Alex has been professional at screwing us out of a better draft position late in the season. I hope he continues this in Washington

Oh, is not this the truth? It is time for Alex to shine.
Originally posted by pdfortune:
Originally posted by Gabberwocky:
Originally posted by raywm3:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by raywm3:
So, I waited all week to actually watch the BYU game. I wanted to see for myself. I saw one throw that I really liked but I don't know about you all but I just wasn't wowed. And I WANTED to be wowed. I saw a number of plays where if he were playing against real competition, it would have ended badly for him. And when I watch his highlight films, I see a lot of chucking it up to covered receivers that come down with the catch. It pains me cuz I want to love him.

I actually came away with a bigger impression of their TE Isaac Rex. He looks like a beast to me.

Cool story bro. You watch one game and highlights to evaluate a prospect

No, you're right. I'm sure you've watched several BYU games as well.

Seriously, they act like BYU is playing teams with future pro players. Also, they act like they are breaking down film. He has been great, but it's a bit hard to evaluate when the competition is so weak. Plenty of QBs can make these throws if the competition is not good. If he can make these throws against good teams then he may be gold. Right now he is like the first girl a prisoner sees after getting out. He is going to think she is way hotter until he sees some competition.

He is listed as basically the same size as Steve Young, but he looks a lot thinner to me. He has also had some injuries: shoulder surgery and a broken thumb last year.

To the guy that said he has never been this hard before watching the low definition channel BYU vs North Alabama game you may need to see a Urologist and/or Psychiatrist.
Scout the traits, not the scheme and not the competition. If you don't do that, you end up thinking guys like Mahomes aren't first round qbs.

I doubt anybody believed Mahomes would be this incredible. I also don't remember anybody claiming he wasn't 1st round talent, or wouldn't get drafted in the first round. Furthermore, he threw for over 700 yards and had nearly 100 yards rushing against Oklahoma with about 90 passes. I thought this guy in the right system is going to be damn good. The main thing used against him is he was feasting on weak Big 12 defenses. Big 12 defense was lacking, but the offense wasn't and many shootouts occurred. BYU is feasting on weak offense and defense no shootouts for Wilson. They aren't playing healthy good teams they are playing very weak competition. I think the Bowl game will really be his chance to blow minds.

You scout everything not just some traits, or you get Jeff George that had skills galore. A lot of QBs can do some amazing things if the defense isn't good. Only a fool would ignore other factors like competition and scheme. Just evaluating traits you get Jim Druckenmiller.

Wilson may turn out to be excellent. He has done what he should, and dominated the games. COVID f'ed up their original solid schedule. I'm just hoping if the 49ers get him he isn't fools gold.
Lol I did. It's an shame the Official 49ers board (forums.49ers.com) was shut down by the team, because my proof of arguing with guys like the coach on the forum about how Mahomes will win MVP by year 3 is now gone (of course I was off by one year, as he won it in year 2).

Anyway, this is why I knew he'd be great: yes, he had the tools, but he also had that calm, always in control ability to manipulate the defense in the heat of the moment. I saw him looking off defenders and adjusting his arm angle, pump fake passed the line so he could gain five more yards when running (like Steve Young would do), and little things like that. It all appeared extremely natural for him. That, to me indicated he had an very fast processing ability, because with live bullets lesser QBs forget all the little subtle things that Mahomes always displayed.

Those, too, are traits to me. Does he use his eyes to manipulate defenses? Does he pump fake when he's BEYOND the line of scrimmage to open up running lanes? All these little things that take an very quick mind which takes in all information.

In addition, his support system and character topped it off. An well known professional athlete dad and another professional athlete godfather.

There was far too much to overwhelm competition and scheme weaknesses.

That said maybe I got lucky My first glimpse I thought he was an slower Kaepernick with an faster release and more arc. Then I watched more, and over time I became convinced he was Brett Favre reincarnated.

But this is past.

Wilson is who we love now, and I don't feel the same way, but I see few weaknesses with him. I FIRMLY believe he could do everything Garoppolo is currently doing, except better, and I'd put money on it, allowing for an little bit of time to adjust to the NFL game and learn the system.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
I doubt anybody believed Mahomes would be this incredible. I also don't remember anybody claiming he wasn't 1st round talent, or wouldn't get drafted in the first round. Furthermore, he threw for over 700 yards and had nearly 100 yards rushing against Oklahoma with about 90 passes. I thought this guy in the right system is going to be damn good. The main thing used against him is he was feasting on weak Big 12 defenses. Big 12 defense was lacking, but the offense wasn't and many shootouts occurred. BYU is feasting on weak offense and defense no shootouts for Wilson. They aren't playing healthy good teams they are playing very weak competition. I think the Bowl game will really be his chance to blow minds.

You scout everything not just some traits, or you get Jeff George that had skills galore. A lot of QBs can do some amazing things if the defense isn't good. Only a fool would ignore other factors like competition and scheme. Just evaluating traits you get Jim Druckenmiller.

Wilson may turn out to be excellent. He has done what he should, and dominated the games. COVID f'ed up their original solid schedule. I'm just hoping if Can you keep a secret 49ers get him he isn't fools gold.

Many posters here thought he could be this incredible . His mechanics needed work, and everyone was still scared of air raid QBs at the time. Dude had never even dropped back lmao. But some of us are on record being absolutely blown away by his arm, accuracy and touch. Wasnt your typical situation of a QB prospect with a rocket arm. This kid was absolutely special as a thrower.

There was a group of guys that even wanted mahomes picked, we were trying to look into any Kyle interview hoping mahomes was the guy. One interview specifically I was hyped and posted about where Kyle said the number one trait is being a gold thrower.

And yes there was a lot of talk of Mahomes in the second , end of the first mostly. Thanks to
The scouts and mock drafts that put him there.

Mahomes is off the charts good. He is on pace to be the best ever. I call BS on your claim many posters thought he could be this incredible. Just like nobody thought Jordan would turn out to be so much better as a pro to be considered the best ever by most. Thinking someone could be a Hall of Famer is one thing, but predicting a legend is totally different. I definitely thought he could be amazing, but couldn't fathom he would be this good. I thought he would have a ton of picks in the pros even if he was a constant pro bowler. It's a surprise when he throws one in a month now.

It will be interesting to see BYU against a good team in a Bowl game. I'm extremely intrigued by Trey Lance and Wilson. Lance is more of a mystery, but may have the highest ceiling of all the QBs especially considering how the Jets ruin players. Fields I'm hoping is gone before they pick.

I didn't mean that there were posters here banging the drums that Mahomes would be a hall of famer. You're right that nobody said that. But there were posters here that saw the unlimited potential. And upset when he wasn't taken. But there was absolutely an understanding that it comes with the risk of him having a low floor considering his mechanics and offense in college.

Agreed on Wilson and Lance. Both drop dimes but so much more needs to be seen from Lance, sucks that this is the season he's had
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
I didn't mean that there were posters here banging the drums that Mahomes would be a hall of famer. You're right that nobody said that. But there were posters here that saw the unlimited potential. And upset when he wasn't taken. But there was absolutely an understanding that it comes with the risk of him having a low floor considering his mechanics and offense in college.

Agreed on Wilson and Lance. Both drop dimes but so much more needs to be seen from Lance, sucks that this is the season he's had

This is why Lance scares me. With Wilson you can st least clearly see him doing all the things our offense does, and doing them well, competition notwithstanding. Although Lance didn't exactly have the competition either.

But how many games has Lance even played?
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
He sucked sophomore year. What happened?

He had shoulder and thumb surgeries.

Worrisome I know.

Oh nooo

Where ever Wilson goes now, good luck to him
Well, it was a nice dream lol...

Not happening
Share 49ersWebzone