LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 314 users in the forums

Zach Wilson, QB BYU

Shop 49ers game tickets

Zach Wilson, QB BYU

Originally posted by raywm3:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
So, I waited all week to actually watch the BYU game. I wanted to see for myself. I saw one throw that I really liked but I don't know about you all but I just wasn't wowed. And I WANTED to be wowed. I saw a number of plays where if he were playing against real competition, it would have ended badly for him. And when I watch his highlight films, I see a lot of chucking it up to covered receivers that come down with the catch. It pains me cuz I want to love him.

I actually came away with a bigger impression of their TE Isaac Rex. He looks like a beast to me.

Cool story bro. You watch one game and highlights to evaluate a prospect

No, you're right. I'm sure you've watched several BYU games as well.

Seriously, they act like BYU is playing teams with future pro players. Also, they act like they are breaking down film. He has been great, but it's a bit hard to evaluate when the competition is so weak. Plenty of QBs can make these throws if the competition is not good. If he can make these throws against good teams then he may be gold. Right now he is like the first girl a prisoner sees after getting out. He is going to think she is way hotter until he sees some competition.

He is listed as basically the same size as Steve Young, but he looks a lot thinner to me. He has also had some injuries: shoulder surgery and a broken thumb last year.

To the guy that said he has never been this hard before watching the low definition channel BYU vs North Alabama game you may need to see a Urologist and/or Psychiatrist.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Weak

Punk s**t ! Don't you want to prove your team is legit ???
Originally posted by pdfortune:
Seriously, they act like BYU is playing teams with future pro players. Also, they act like they are breaking down film. He has been great, but it's a bit hard to evaluate when the competition is so weak. Plenty of QBs can make these throws if the competition is not good. If he can make these throws against good teams then he may be gold. Right now he is like the first girl a prisoner sees after getting out. He is going to think she is way hotter until he sees some competition.

He is listed as basically the same size as Steve Young, but he looks a lot thinner to me. He has also had some injuries: shoulder surgery and a broken thumb last year.

To the guy that said he has never been this hard before watching the low definition channel BYU vs North Alabama game you may need to see a Urologist and/or Psychiatrist.

It's not just about who he's playing against...he's still gotta make the throws end of the day.

You can't objectively watch him this yr and come away saying he hasn't made a f**k ton of high end NFL caliber throws
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I wouldn't get too caught up with players being a good fit for Shanahan's system. I thought the same with Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs and Calvin Ridley. I just would hate to go through the same disappointment with Zach Wilson, especially if he's on the board and Shanahan passes him up.

Ruggs would be dynamite in this system with his speed. He would take some slants today the house than only 2 or 3 guys in the league could. Just not sure how he'd hold up as he has a much slighter build than Deebo and Yuk. Ridley and Jeudy would be fine but are more suited for traditional offenses with their route running chops.
Waddle would be fun here as would Rondale Moore....elite agility and body control
A more athletic Derrick Carr has been my comp for Wilson.

Wilson imo has a bigger arm as well.
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Weak

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Weak

Weak

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Weak

Weak

It's because of money.

[ Edited by NYniner85 on Nov 22, 2020 at 6:19 PM ]
Weak

Weak

It's because of money.

He should change his head band to... we play if you pay our expenses
He should change his head band to... we play if you pay our expenses

Not up to him buzzy....but you know this. College football is about the $$

• okdkid
  • Veteran
It's because of money.

lol BYU is NOT hurting for money. What a cop out.
  • titan
  • Veteran

It's not just about who he's playing against...he's still gotta make the throws end of the day.

You can't objectively watch him this yr and come away saying he hasn't made a f**k ton of high end NFL caliber throws

I'd say we've had some good players from BYU even though according to some that you can't properly evaluate them because of competition level. I'd say Bart Oats was a solid OLineman, Warner is doing ok tackling NFL caliber players despite tackling nobodies in Mountain West and of course the all time BYU GOAT Steve Young who seems to think this kid is for real.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
So, I waited all week to actually watch the BYU game. I wanted to see for myself. I saw one throw that I really liked but I don't know about you all but I just wasn't wowed. And I WANTED to be wowed. I saw a number of plays where if he were playing against real competition, it would have ended badly for him. And when I watch his highlight films, I see a lot of chucking it up to covered receivers that come down with the catch. It pains me cuz I want to love him.

I actually came away with a bigger impression of their TE Isaac Rex. He looks like a beast to me.

Cool story bro. You watch one game and highlights to evaluate a prospect

No, you're right. I'm sure you've watched several BYU games as well.

Yeah, you're no better off with your judgement. There's a reason he's rising up in the draft boards. There are professionals out there who's job is to evaluate talent and they like what they see regardless of the competition they played. End of the day, he'll likely be a first round pick. And thank you for mentioning my hard on, seems like you're an expert on how to handle that situation does the pd in your name stand for penile dysfunction?
[ Edited by Alfienator on Nov 22, 2020 at 7:26 PM ]

And our chances of drafting him got slightly better with Washington's win today. It pushed them to 5, and currently Cincinnati holds the 3 spot, Dallas 4, with the Chargers at 6. If the draft were today, I think Dallas would be the most optimal trade partner (Cincy probably wants Sewell after Burrows ACL tear today). Lynch could pull off that trade imo, and Z. Wilson wears red and gold forever.
[ Edited by PuckFarag10 on Nov 22, 2020 at 7:26 PM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PuckFarag10:

And our chances of drafting him got slightly better with Washington's win today. It pushed them to 5, and currently Cincinnati holds the 3 spot, Dallas 4, with the Chargers at 6. If the draft were today, I think Dallas would be the most optimal trade partner (Cincy probably wants Sewell after Burrows ACL tear today). Lynch could pull off that trade imo, and Z. Wilson wears red and gold forever.

If they want him they will get him. Lynch has never held back on making moves to get a player he "covets". Hard to believe if he truly believes a QB is a franchise player he would say "no, that price is too high". It will get done.
[ Edited by okdkid on Nov 22, 2020 at 7:44 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone