LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 222 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

I'd hate to be the Jets GM right now. Do you pick your QB or trade down and accumulate more picks since your roster has holes everywhere?

I guess if i had any faith in Sam Darnold i'd trade down and get the picks. If i didnt have faith in Sam or was on the fence i'd go ahead and pick Fields and maybe trade Sam or let them compete.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by miked1978:
I'd hate to be the Jets GM right now. Do you pick your QB or trade down and accumulate more picks since your roster has holes everywhere?

I guess if i had any faith in Sam Darnold i'd trade down and get the picks. If i didnt have faith in Sam or was on the fence i'd go ahead and pick Fields and maybe trade Sam or let them compete.

You leverage your new ties to the 49ers and trade back for a boat load of picks. Grab the best defensive player available and build a monster D that can stop Buffalo and Miami and that virtually any FitzMagic-level QB can walk into and win games with.

Letting your top QB getting murdered with no help for several years is just a bad decision. It's not like Saleh is going to be developing a QB anyway.
I think you build up the rest of the team around Darnold, and if you tank this year youre in position to get another QB while not burning up your good faith, and you set that guy up for the future. Maybe we can fleece them in a trade up!
I'm definitely letting Darnold clear his head and actually get offensive coaching, Lafleur can't be as bad as Gase and that system would suit him real well. They have so many holes on that roster
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Outside of Becton and Quinnen Williams the Jets need an entire roster of players. They need all the picks they can get.
Easy call. Trade down. It could blow up in your face but I think Saleh sticks with Darnold.
Saleh was here for our rebuild. I think he starts with the trenches. We'll see how he attacks it in FA.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Outside of Becton and Quinnen Williams the Jets need an entire roster of players. They need all the picks they can get.

Mims, Mosley, Mayes, Crowder, just a few more players off the top of my head. They aren't anywhere as talent poor as they looked under Gase, they just need a head coach that can earn the respect of a locker room and gameplan along with filling in gaps at crucial areas such as edge rusher, CB, RB and the interior OL.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Mims, Mosley, Mayes, Crowder, just a few more players off the top of my head. They aren't anywhere as talent poor as they looked under Gase, they just need a head coach that can earn the respect of a locker room and gameplan along with filling in gaps at crucial areas such as edge rusher, CB, RB and the interior OL.

Mosley has played in 2 games in 2 years. I will give you Mayes as a solid safety and Crowder at his best is a solid #2. Mims is still a question mark as to what he will become. They have issues everywhere.
Originally posted by miked1978:

I think you pick your QB if any of them look like they can be their franchise QB.

I haven't watched him super closely . But based off the games I've seen and plays I've seen. Darnold has been pretty damn bad in his third year. I understand there is an issue with talent and coaching.

But damn... when you're good, you're just good. Watson lost his two best receivers. Was even worse off when it came to coaching since he lost his early on and had nothing but interim coaching the rest of the way vs a very tough schedule . And dude still played with greatness . Of course the situation matters , but to a certain extent. Great QBs find a way to succeed. Darnold has hardly shown anything worth skipping one of the number 2-5 QB prospects in this draft.
[ Edited by GhostOfBaalke on Jan 16, 2021 at 9:57 PM ]

Originally posted by MrNineSeven:
If Urban takes the Jags job he will draft Fields

L O L
Mosley has played in 2 games in 2 years. I will give you Mayes as a solid safety and Crowder at his best is a solid #2. Mims is still a question mark as to what he will become. They have issues everywhere.

He's a four time Pro Bowler and is only 28 years old. After opting out the season, he'll be healthy and well rested.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

He's a four time Pro Bowler and is only 28 years old. After opting out the season, he'll be healthy and well rested.

29 when the season starts, but who knows how he will do. We haven't seen him play in a long time. My initial point being the Jets have a ton of holes to fill and maybe trading down and seeing what the new regime can get out of Darnold might be the way to go. They will have so much Draft capital in 2022 they could basically do anything they want next year.

Mims did a bunch of nothing this yr, Mosely has played 2 games in 2 yrs, Marcus Maye is a FA, and crowder is in his last yr of his deal (and can't stay healthy either).

They have nothing on the OL outside of Becton, they have zero edge rushers, they have no CBs. I mean that's one of the worst rosters in football. They have "gaps" at every position lol. It's a straight up rebuild, that will require picks. Glad Saleh at least got a 5 yr deal.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 18, 2021 at 6:40 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Mims did a bunch of nothing this yr, Mosely has played 2 games in 2 yrs, Marcus Maye is a FA, and crowder is in his last yr of his deal (and can't stay healthy either).

They have nothing on the OL outside of Becton, they have zero edge rushers, they have no CBs. I mean that's one of the worst rosters in football. They have "gaps" at every position lol. It's a straight up rebuild, that will require picks. Glad Saleh at least got a 5 yr deal.

Teams turn around quick in the NFL all the time, Saleh could very well have them respectable at least in year one, especially if they draft right. A winning team? Yeah, true. Probably not happening until at minimum year 2. But they have the resources to rebuild that roster much faster than other teams could.
Share 49ersWebzone