There are 162 users in the forums

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Originally posted by NCommand:
Perfect for Greg Roman for 2 years.

Nah, the footwork alone is far too good for this take.

If you told me he couldn't run I'd still tell you he had 1st round potential.
I think Lance is perfect for the Bears. We know Nagy runs the RPO a lot and for playing in Chicago you better have a very strong arm.
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
I think Lance is perfect for the Bears. We know Nagy runs the RPO a lot and for playing in Chicago you better have a very strong arm.

Yeah that would work, to be honest I think he'll work for anyone who gives him time.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Perfect for Greg Roman for 2 years.

Not even close NC.

You should be in the OL prospect thread anyway.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Nah, the footwork alone is far too good for this take.

If you told me he couldn't run I'd still tell you he had 1st round potential.

Agreed. It's a lazy comp (much like another prospect) black super athletic with a great arm. Must be Kap

His footwork is worlds better. Kap wasn't a pure thrower of the football. He just had a strong ass arm. Should have been a closer in the MLB.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 22, 2021 at 6:15 PM ]
There appears to be a lot of mixed feelings with this guy but let's review the options, shall we?

1) Just go with Jimmy G for the next 5 years
2) Trade for a veteran like Stafford and then try to groom a prospect
3) Draft a QB with the high pick this year and then go with Jimmy for the next year or so.
4) Trade 5 first round picks for Watson (and make no mistake, that is what it would take if you want to keep Bosa, Kittle, and Warner).

Given the choice of these options, I would actually go with the fourth one first because Watson is an absolute stud and the Niners have proven they can draft well after the first round. However, I doubt Houston will actually trade their QB unless their new coach (yet to be determined) is an absolute moron (not out of the realm of possibility) so.. the much more likely scenario is the third one.

If that is the case, then Lance is probably the best possibility. He has the raw talent, leadership ability, and he appears to be working on his game (big improvement between first and second years in college). The Niners may even have to trade up a bit to get him but, I think it would be worth the risk...unless of course, the guy isn't very intelligent, doesn't work hard enough, and/or has substance issues.

All of this is yet to be determined of course but at this moment, I for one, hope the Niners and Shanny can get their hands on him. He has all of the physical tools to be great...and that is a great start.

Cheers!
[ Edited by longterm9erfan on Jan 22, 2021 at 6:46 PM ]
It's all going to plan, Mac Jones killed the season, and is killing the offseason. He goes ahead of Lance IMO.

If that happens I really do think he'll be available to us.

My plan is to stick with Jimmy, and groom Lance, if Jimmy smashes it out of the park we can look at a Love situation, ideally Lance develops significantly next year and takes over.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
It's all going to plan, Mac Jones killed the season, and is killing the offseason. He goes ahead of Lance IMO.

If that happens I really do think he'll be available to us.

My plan is to stick with Jimmy, and groom Lance, if Jimmy smashes it out of the park we can look at a Love situation, ideally Lance develops significantly next year and takes over.

Their plan I'm willing to bet looks completely different than this particular plan you came up with.
Originally posted by krizay:
Their plan I'm willing to bet looks completely different than this particular plan you came up with.

I would as well, but this way I can come back in 2-3 years and say I told you so!
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Jan 28, 2021 at 3:20 PM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
I would as well, but this way I can come back in 2-3 years and say I told you so!

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
I think his ceiling can be a poor man's Patrick Mahomes. But like 'BigMac said, there isnt 2-3 years of tape on him like most QBs and his tape is against D2 schools. But even Shanny said he whiffed on drafting Mahomes because it was too hard to evaluate him. Sometimes you just got to take the risk. If we keep Jimmy on board or have some other veteran like Stafford/Cousins/Ryan, its well worth the risk.

I don't know man. Wasted a 1st on solly, rueben possibly mcglinchey. People wanting to gamble on a project. A project that even his supporters are saying could be 2 years.

#12 pick on 2 year project wouldn't sit well with me.

I know I'm in the minority but it is what is. End of the day, don't see Shanny drafting him so really doesn't matter.

Agree. I'll just add that because of Rosen being on the team, maybe ShanaLynch might not even pick a QB till late.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
I think his ceiling can be a poor man's Patrick Mahomes. But like 'BigMac said, there isnt 2-3 years of tape on him like most QBs and his tape is against D2 schools. But even Shanny said he whiffed on drafting Mahomes because it was too hard to evaluate him. Sometimes you just got to take the risk. If we keep Jimmy on board or have some other veteran like Stafford/Cousins/Ryan, its well worth the risk.

I don't know man. Wasted a 1st on solly, rueben possibly mcglinchey. People wanting to gamble on a project. A project that even his supporters are saying could be 2 years.

I know I'm in the minority but it is what is. End of the day, don't see Shanny drafting him so really doesn't matter.

Agree. I'll just add that because of Rosen being on the team, maybe ShanaLynch might not even pick a QB till late.

Josh Rosen shouldn't be the reason why we make any decisions regarding the QB position.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

Josh Rosen shouldn't be the reason why we make any decisions regarding the QB position.

Kyle supposedly liked Josh coming out of college in 2017. Except he didn't and stayed in school, hence he got BeatHard instead. Assuming he still likes Josh as much as he did back then, I can see him not picking a QB till much later in the draft if at all. As for Trey, I have to rely on the college experts here because I don't have the time to watch those games unfortunately.
Kyle supposedly liked Josh coming out of college in 2017. Except he didn't and stayed in school, hence he got BeatHard instead. Assuming he still likes Josh as much as he did back then, I can see him not picking a QB till much later in the draft if at all. As for Trey, I have to rely on the college experts here because I don't have the time to watch those games unfortunately.

Kyle liked Josh Allen, not Rosen.
Josh Rosen will be lucky to be on the week 1 roster. I wouldn't factor him in anything.
Share 49ersWebzone