LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 316 users in the forums

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Originally posted by Vai5684:
He will gone at 12

I honestly don't think so, I think the Lions, Panthers and Broncos all should, but I think they pass.

It's difficult to take someone in the top 10 and sit them a year or two.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
He will gone at 12

I honestly don't think so, I think the Lions, Panthers and Broncos all should, but I think they pass.

Worked out well for the Chiefs with Mahomes.
Originally posted by Butter:
He will gone at 12

Worked out well for the Chiefs with Mahomes.

Exactly what I've been saying in the Mac Jones thread
Gotta go get Lance and let him develop and take over JG - even if it's mid season

kid has a qb rating of 117 under pressure...not too shabby.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 12, 2021 at 1:06 PM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

kid has a qb rating of 117 under pressure...not too shabby.

What are the other top QBs under pressure?
Watching the Waldman video, it really does look like they give him a ton of half field reads. I know Kyle has done that in the past but it leads to a ton of missed opportunities.

Thing we won't know is, was this the coaches deciding that was their best chance, or could Lance not handle the whole field?

I have absolutely no doubt that this guy is not ready to play in the NFL as a rookie.

I'd still draft him, love the footwork, love the mechanics, the accuracy is there and the arm talent is otherworldly.

They dialled up a lot of stuff that we do so that helps the transition.

I'm doubling down, this is my guy.
Watched the game this year Vs Central Arkansas.

1st half

First off 3rd down recognises blitz and makes a line check, nice, blitz comes anyway and one comes free, Lance hangs in throws downfield defender slips and. Overthrow. Looked very much like the play Jimmy missed Sanders, for sure wants that one back.

Next two throws are big time NFL sideline throws under pressure, one caught (just) one dropped. Absolutely no doubting the arm.

He then goes through some tough times under pressure, gives up a fumble, gets sacked, harassed, no run game not looking good, definitely rattled.

They come out with some simple throws get some run game and he leads a nice drive culminating in a Shanahan style playaction, easy throw TD to TE, footwork is beautiful though and bodes well.

Then they finally let him run (clear and obvious that they knew this was his only game and didn't want him hurt) runs like a shiftier Josh Allen or faster Cam Newton, would be the 3rd best running QB in the league.

Last drive 2min drill, 1st down climbs pocket plenty of running room but keeps his eyes downfield, guy has a step but underthrown an CB recovers, possibly due to the earlier overthrows, but definitely another he'll want back.

3rd down had a crosser, thrown behind and broken up, disappointing.

Numbers are poor, but was under duress and there was a drop and knockdown in there. Not the half he'd have liked, but the talent is evident.
Hit back button and lost nearly a quarter of a write up, gutted, may come back to it, but can't for now
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Watched the game this year Vs Central Arkansas.

1st half

First off 3rd down recognises blitz and makes a line check, nice, blitz comes anyway and one comes free, Lance hangs in throws downfield defender slips and. Overthrow. Looked very much like the play Jimmy missed Sanders, for sure wants that one back.

Next two throws are big time NFL sideline throws under pressure, one caught (just) one dropped. Absolutely no doubting the arm.

He then goes through some tough times under pressure, gives up a fumble, gets sacked, harassed, no run game not looking good, definitely rattled.

They come out with some simple throws get some run game and he leads a nice drive culminating in a Shanahan style playaction, easy throw TD to TE, footwork is beautiful though and bodes well.

Then they finally let him run (clear and obvious that they knew this was his only game and didn't want him hurt) runs like a shiftier Josh Allen or faster Cam Newton, would be the 3rd best running QB in the league.

Last drive 2min drill, 1st down climbs pocket plenty of running room but keeps his eyes downfield, guy has a step but underthrown an CB recovers, possibly due to the earlier overthrows, but definitely another he'll want back.

3rd down had a crosser, thrown behind and broken up, disappointing.

Numbers are poor, but was under duress and there was a drop and knockdown in there. Not the half he'd have liked, but the talent is evident.

I can see the Mahomes comparison.

Originally posted by krizay:

It's not so much a comp, I think Mahomes' arm is a tad better and has the arm angles.

It's more of what I think he could do, come in on a decent team, wait a year and get a good offense down, and then take the league by storm.

I'd need to lock him in a room with Kyle, and ensure he has the capacity to learn it all, but he looks like he could be special.

If you only used his athleticism in the pocket and you forget the running ability he's a top 10 pick, you add that he's just less of a runner than Lamar, the sky is the limit.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Jan 13, 2021 at 4:54 AM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
It's not so much a comp, I think Mahomes' arm is a tad better and has the arm angles.

It's more of what I think he could do, come in on a decent team, wait a year and get a good offense down, and then take the league by storm.

I'd need to lock him in a room with Kyle, and ensure he has the capacity to learn it all, but he looks like he could be special.

If you only used his athleticism in the pocket and you forget the running ability he's a top 10 pick, you add that he's just less of a runner than Lamar, the sky is the limit.

This and your above analysis is the hypocrisy I don't get. In your analysis above you say...

Part of the reason for wanting a mobile QB was for the times they are under pressure. But your whole analysis he seemed to struggle when pressured.

You then state
come in on a decent team,
So he needs a supporting cast? just like a "statue" QB? Again, I thought that was the reason for the mobile QB.

It sounds like to me that this particular mobile QB (and Fields from the excuses i've read) also need both an OL and weapons(or running game as you state in your analysis).
Originally posted by krizay:

after watching/reading more on Lance, I have to agree with Phoenix...he's not a day 1 starter for sure. His ideal scenario is to go to a good coaching staff/roster and sit for a yr...At the very least half a season.

His upside however is Josh Allen level IMO. We as fan would have to be patient with him, if he was the pick. Everyone is screaming for a Super Bowl in a yr, but that just might not be reasonable with the turnover we're expecting. In this scenario Jimmy is probably still the starter and they restructure his deal.

I do however think you can use him in certain packages day one to get his feet wet, I wouldn't be overly shocked if he could come in and run something like Jimmy did in 2017 (when he didn't know the offense). Ideally he needs to learn the system and be able to understand coverages though. Everything I've read says he's all football and smart as s**t.

we will see, I wish they would make an exception this yr for Senior Bowl invitees because of COVID. The draft process is gonna be big for him.
Wow NY, I like it when we're on the same page, I was literally going to write the Jimmy in 2017 line. Also could see him work in a Ravens or Cardinals style system, but for me he sits.
Kriz, I'm not contradicting myself I'm analyzing his games, but projecting to the pro's.

Projection isn't an exact science, but if you only analyze you get nowhere.

To be fair if you only project you won't get much further.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Jan 13, 2021 at 6:25 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone