LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 313 users in the forums

2021 OL prospects

Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Wirfs had a much more rare set of tools than slater, and didn't have any technique red flags

Agreed. Wirfs is probably 20 lbs heavier, as or more athletic, and longer than Slater. I like Slater, but I liked Wirfs a lot more.

Wirfs was the better prospect at tackle but his technique was not as advanced as Slater. Slater also gives you position flexibility which is huge.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Wirfs was the better prospect at tackle but his technique was not as advanced as Slater. Slater also gives you position flexibility which is huge.

Perceived/assumed position flexibility.

Plus, if Wirfs was thought of as a potential move to guard despite grading out so well as a true OT, I'm not sure a lack of perceived versatility affected Wirfs grade as a prospect.

Plus, Wirfs was still an advanced college OT, and not just a HWS esque prospect. In the QB thread were talking ad nauseum about floor vs ceiling. Wirfs clearly had the significantly higher ceiling as a prospect.

Perceived/assumed position flexibility.

Plus, if Wirfs was thought of as a potential move to guard despite grading out so well as a true OT, I'm not sure a lack of perceived versatility affected Wirfs grade as a prospect.

Plus, Wirfs was still an advanced college OT, and not just a HWS esque prospect. In the QB thread were talking ad nauseum about floor vs ceiling. Wirfs clearly had the significantly higher ceiling as a prospect.

I'm fully admitting that Wirfs has more upside and he's the better prospect due to his high upside at tackle and run blocking ability.

I'm not sure how it's perceived flexibility when he's played different positions, right?

I don't remember Wirfs playing other positions and even if he did he's not the size of a guard like Slater is.
I'm fully admitting that Wirfs has more upside and he's the better prospect due to his high upside at tackle and run blocking ability.

I'm not sure how it's perceived flexibility when he's played different positions, right?

I don't remember Wirfs playing other positions and even if he did he's not the size of a guard like Slater is.

Slater is more technical advanced then Wirfs.

wirfs was a straight athlete, but had issues as a PP coming out of Iowa. Thing is Slater isn't a bad athlete either.

I won't be shocked if he's graded out higher.
Pick Faelele in the first round and then tell him ALL defensive payers are lava-lava. Few will be standing by the time the whistle blows
This is a case of rumor "becoming" fact. Slater played two years of RT and one year of LT. He did not play along the interior in college. Sure, he played guard in highschool if you want to count that (I wouldn't). As far as I know, he's never played center.

Slater is good in space, yes. I don't want to detract from that. But he is not the freak athlete that Wirfs is, and that's BEFORE the disclaimer of "for his size". The dude ran a 4.85 with a vert of 36.5" (combine record) and a broad of 10'1" (tied for record) at 320 lbs - he set the twitter world on fire with his combine performance, and his athletic testing and weight room numbers easily translated to game film. He was not a perfect pass protector, but it should not be even remotely implied that he was not a good pass protector. He was very advanced technically, not quite to the level of Slater, but had the length to make up for the majority of his technical or mental missteps. There were also scouts who actually preferred him at guard, and projected him as an elite level guard prospect, somewhere between Scherf and Q. Nelson.

Slater is a great prospect, and a first rounder. But he is , imo, a tad overrated because of his - what was it, all of ten direct snaps? - versus Chase Young. Yes, he held his own versus Young, and looked wildly impressive and in control in their matchup. But he also gave up pressure in that same game to other edge rushers. IIRC, Tyreke Smith beat him inside when he was too quick to shoot his hands. Ironically enough, I view him as an OZ Guard, and OG2 in the draft behind Vera Tucker. Top 25 talent. Recent comp would be Jonah Williams. Jury is still out on his ability to succeed at tackle.

Edit: Daniel Jeremiah is apparently very high on Slater. Has him as OL1, and he does in fact have a higher grade on him than he did Wirfs (6.77 vs 6.48). I can't find his grade on Wills, but I'm pretty sure he had Becton as OL1 last year. If so, both Slater and Penei would have been OL1 and OL2 respectively in last year's class.
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Feb 27, 2021 at 9:33 PM ]
I didn't watch a lot of Bearcat games this past season (probably why I wasn't a big fan of Ridder lol), but can someone give me an honest summary on James Hudson?
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I knew Thorn was a little lower on Slater, but interesting to see him have Jenkins ahead.
I knew Thorn was a little lower on Slater, but interesting to see him have Jenkins ahead.

I haven't watched much of anything of OK State. Now I'm curious.

Interesting. Zach Wilson's LT ranked ahead of the one for Bama.
Originally posted by AsianJeff:
I didn't watch a lot of Bearcat games this past season (probably why I wasn't a big fan of Ridder lol), but can someone give me an honest summary on James Hudson?

Was recruited as a DE. He leaves no questions athletically, but he is raw as sushi. Not precise with his punches or his drops. Good grip strength, but not a powerhouse. OZ prospect, can hopefully replace McGlinchey in a year
Originally posted by AsianJeff:

Was recruited as a DE. He leaves no questions athletically, but he is raw as sushi. Not precise with his punches or his drops. Good grip strength, but not a powerhouse. OZ prospect, can hopefully replace McGlinchey in a year

made me chuckle
Also, after last year's draft, Shanahan said that if the trade with Washington for T. Williams hadn't gone through, he planned to pick McKivitz in the 4th round (got him in the 5th round), and not any OL before that. Talk about which OL the Niners will pick in the first round (or second? or third? or . . .?) is irrelevant. Even if they don't re-sign Williams.
Share 49ersWebzone