There are 221 users in the forums

MadDog49er 2020 NFL Draft Review

Greetings to all!

Another draft came and went, and this was pretty unique. As a Niners' fan, it lacked some of the punch that previous drafts held, as the Niners only had 5 selections. However, there is still much to discuss about the picks, where they fit, how they project, and the impact on the team and league.

As a starting point, I do not evaluate the draft on traded picks for players. I only evaluate the selection of the draft selection when the team is on the clock. I thought the Trent Williams trade was a stroke of genius. You have to roll the dice on a player of Williams' honors. Even if he is not the Trent Williams of the past, but is a 80 percent version, giving up a third and fifth for a team that is built to win now is a really brilliant move. I hope Niners' fans do not hold him up as a superstar player. The recent big-named moves from last season did not match the hype (Ford, Alexander, Sanders). All contributed, but not at the level of previous years and teams. Buyer beware on big expectations for veteran players, especially guys over 30 years old! However, good luck. Mr. Williams!

So, here is my evaluation of the Niners' draft, based solely on their choices while the team was on the board:
#14- Javon Kinlaw- DT, South Carolina- I like Kinlaw as a prospect. He was ranked 21st overall on my board. Really terrific college player, and fills a void in the Niners's defense with the departure of Buckner. Looked excellent at the Senior Bowl until he was injured. I think he will be a really good player for the 49ers. These are all the positives. Here is my criticism. This is a salary cap move, and I am not sure this is the best strategy with draft capital. Is Kinlaw going to be as good as Buckner? I sincerely doubt he will play at that level. So, you are swapping DTs with a drop in play. I understand the salary cap is always going to be an issue. To me, this is a treading of water move for the team, which for some is just fine. Not for me, and here is why.....the Niners missed a golden opportunity to solve their biggest problem....the passing game. The team has lacked a star wide receiver for a LONG time, and had the opportunity to solve this issue and really help Jimmy G by selecting the best player on the board.......in Ceedee Lamb. The team did well in selecting Deebo last year, but Lamb is even better, and is a game changer. Best value in drafting is matching the best player on the board with team need. Never pass on a blue chipper to fill a need. The Cowboys played this smart, selecting Lamb at 17. He wasn't a huge need....but you can't pass on stars. In this case, for the Niners, Lamb was a blue chip player at the biggest position of need. Missed opportunity for me. I liked the trade down from #13 to #14, but we are going to toss those extra assets away in the next pick.

#25- Brandon Aiyuk- WR, Arizona State- I also like Aiyuk as a player. He was WR6 on my board, and had an excellent year with ASU this past season. He is terrific with the ball in his hands, especially in the return game. Shanahan obviously thought Aiyuk was worth trading up 6 slots and giving away two mid-rounders in the process. I think Aiyuk may have been on the board at 31 anyways, and there were more talented players chosen after him. I didn't like the move, and think we have a nice number three WR in Aiyuk. He is NOT on the same level as Lamb.

#153 - Colton McKivitz- OT/G- West Virginia- Tough, smart OT/G, McKivitz is an experienced player who is a bit older (24 years old) than most draftees. Although he performed admirably in the Big 12 Conference, his offseason was really not impressive. He struggled at the Senior Bowl, and then tested poorly at the combine. His SPARQ score was at the 17th percentile level. His shuttle time, which is about the surest sign of future success for OL at the next level, was dreadfully slow. My guess is that they hope he can be a swing tackle, but will have to shift him inside to guard at some point.

#190- Charlie Woerner- TE- Georgia- Woerner will have one job for the Niners....be the third TE. He is strictly a blocking TE, having very limited productivity in catching passes for the Bulldogs (34 career catches). He had 9 catches last year. He is a really good blocker, but the team traded up to a guy who ESPN did not even have a picture listed on their draft site. I am guessing Woerner would have completely slipped through the draft, but the Niners didn't want to take that chance. There were simply a LOT of better players on the board.

#217- Jauan Jennings- WR- Tennessee- Jennings was a highly productive WR for the Vols over his career. Big target, and good with the ball in his hands. But, this dude is slow....really slow. Ran a 4.72 at the combine, tested as an 8th percentile WR in his SPARQ score, and is...really, really slow. I just don't know where you put a slow, unathletic guy on the field in the NFL. Maybe they are going to stack 20 pounds on him and make him a move TE.

So, in retrospect, the team picked up a solid interior defender, a third WR who is good at the return game, a backup OT/G with limited athleticism, a blocking TE, and a super-slow WR. I just didn't like the draft at all. I guess the silver lining is that the best two picks were the first two picks.

Shanahan picks guys that fit his scheme. That is something to be admired. However, if defensive coordinators adjust to his schemes, the talent he has acquired is simply below average for NFL play.

My picks (always on the clock, so no cherry-picking)
#14- Ceedee Lamb-WR. Huge playmaker that changes the game.
#25- Josh Jones- OT- Terrific college OT, with superb PFF grades, was a superstar Senior Bowl performer. Might start Day One for the Cardinals.
#153- KJ Hill- WR- Stud slot WR. Another stud Senior Bowl performer. Do you see a trend here? If you shine during the Senior Bowl, the arrow has to go up.
#190- Markus Bailey- LB- This kid is a beast at LB. Captain, big-time gamer, All-Academic Star; has to overcome 2 ACLs. Love everything about him, and lives about 4 miles away from me.
#217- Eno Benjamin- RB- Someone has to explain to me why this kid was on the board in the 7th round. Can run, catch. Just a stud!

Question you might ask: How would the Niners fill the void of Buckner without selecting Kinlaw? Good question. The draft capital lost in the Aiyuk trade (which killed me) would have allowed the team to select a DT in the mid-rounds, and my bulleye target was Baylor DT Bravvion Roy, who I had graded alongside KJ Hill, and would have selected at number 156. Roy ended up selected at 184. I think Roy would have been a starting quality addition to the team, competing with DJ Jones right away.

Overall, I'd give the Niners a C grade. Kinlaw was my favorite value pick by the team. I just discounted them in bypassing Lamb at 14, and then going for a lesser talent in Aiyuk 11 picks later, having to throw in draft capital along the way (ouch!!!). Plus, we still need a young, stud OT for down the road because we have no idea how Williams is going to play out. He might be great, mediocre, or really mediocre this season. The last three picks were incredibly uninspiring to me.

I hope I am wrong! I hope that all five picks become multi-year All Pros. I just don't see much greatness from this class. We will see in a few years.

-MD
[ Edited by MadDog49er on May 4, 2020 at 7:14 AM ]
MD! I've noticed you're a big fan of SPARQ analysis in recent years. As far as SPARQ scores go, I admittedly don't factor them in at all because I just don't find them reliable indicators of future success in the NFL (Solomon Thomas a good example). Generally speaking, I feel like I can see for myself how they compare athletically on film anyway. No indictment on your evaluation as a whole though, because I know we both believe that taking what you see on film, provided one has a good understanding of what qualities will translate to winning match-ups in the NFL, is the best way to predict future success.

Ultimately, I didn't hate the majority of the picks, even if they weren't the guys I would've taken. I think they should help us somewhat maintain the level of success we had last year. My first pick would've been the same as yours, but the rest a tad different. My plan was to help maintain a well rounded roster with the following picks:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/193953-2020-49ers-draft-grade-amp-analysis/

Round 1, Pick 14: CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma
Round 1, Pick 31: Yetur Gross-Matos, DE, Penn State
Round 4, Pick 117: James Lynch, DT, Baylor
Round 5, Pick 153: Darnell Mooney, WR, Tulane
Round 6, Pick 190: Jon Runyan Jr, OL, Michigan
Round 7, Pick 217: Charlie Taumoepeau, TE, Portland State
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 4, 2020 at 7:53 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
MD! I've noticed you're a big fan of SPARQ analysis in recent years. As far as SPARQ scores go, I admittedly don't factor them in at all because I just don't find them reliable indicators of future success in the NFL (Solomon Thomas a good example). Generally speaking, I feel like I can see for myself how they compare athletically on film anyway. No indictment on your evaluation as a whole though, because I know we both believe that taking what you see on film, provided one has a good understanding of what qualities will translate to winning match-ups in the NFL, is the best way to predict future success.

Ultimately, I didn't hate the majority of the picks, even if they weren't the guys I would've taken. I think they should help us somewhat maintain the level of success we had last year. My first pick would've been the same as yours, but the rest a tad different. My plan was to help maintain a well rounded roster with the following picks:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/193953-2020-49ers-draft-grade-amp-analysis/

SPARQ is one of the many elements to consider in a player, especially as you try to match the level of athleticism with guys who are already in the game. For some players who are not very productive, SPARQ can be fools gold.

I like Lynch. Just a hard-working, lunch pail kind of guy. Super productive!

Hope you are doing well!

-MD
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

SPARQ is one of the many elements to consider in a player, especially as you try to match the level of athleticism with guys who are already in the game. For some players who are not very productive, SPARQ can be fools gold.

I like Lynch. Just a hard-working, lunch pail kind of guy. Super productive!

Hope you are doing well!

-MD

Yessir, definitely. I admittedly used to be a huge SPARQ guy, but I found myself getting more caught up in the measurables than I should've, causing me to grade players higher or lower than they truly deserved, so I started moving away from it and found it helped me personally. The one thing I consider is do they have something to offer that offsets or more than makes up for the poor scores, and/or was this also possibly a case of the measurables not matching the tape (see: Jarvis Landry, Jerry Rice, Michael Bennett, Anquan Boldin, Orlando Brown, etc.)

All in all, I am eager to see how all our alternative picks perform vs. the ones the 49ers took! Best wishes and still much respect, my friend!
Greetings to all!

Another draft came and went, and this was pretty unique. As a Niners' fan, it lacked some of the punch that previous drafts held, as the Niners only had 5 selections. However, there is still much to discuss about the picks, where they fit, how they project, and the impact on the team and league.

As a starting point, I do not evaluate the draft on traded picks for players. I only evaluate the selection of the draft selection when the team is on the clock. I thought the Trent Williams trade was a stroke of genius. You have to roll the dice on a player of Williams' honors. Even if he is not the Trent Williams of the past, but is a 80 percent version, giving up a third and fifth for a team that is built to win now is a really brilliant move. I hope Niners' fans do not hold him up as a superstar player. The recent big-named moves from last season did not match the hype (Ford, Alexander, Sanders). All contributed, but not at the level of previous years and teams. Buyer beware on big expectations for veteran players, especially guys over 30 years old! However, good luck. Mr. Williams!

So, here is my evaluation of the Niners' draft, based solely on their choices while the team was on the board:
#14- Javon Kinlaw- DT, South Carolina- I like Kinlaw as a prospect. He was ranked 21st overall on my board. Really terrific college player, and fills a void in the Niners's defense with the departure of Buckner. Looked excellent at the Senior Bowl until he was injured. I think he will be a really good player for the 49ers. These are all the positives. Here is my criticism. This is a salary cap move, and I am not sure this is the best strategy with draft capital. Is Kinlaw going to be as good as Buckner? I sincerely doubt he will play at that level. So, you are swapping DTs with a drop in play. I understand the salary cap is always going to be an issue. To me, this is a treading of water move for the team, which for some is just fine. Not for me, and here is why.....the Niners missed a golden opportunity to solve their biggest problem....the passing game. The team has lacked a star wide receiver for a LONG time, and had the opportunity to solve this issue and really help Jimmy G by selecting the best player on the board.......in Ceedee Lamb. The team did well in selecting Deebo last year, but Lamb is even better, and is a game changer. Best value in drafting is matching the best player on the board with team need. Never pass on a blue chipper to fill a need. The Cowboys played this smart, selecting Lamb at 17. He wasn't a huge need....but you can't pass on stars. In this case, for the Niners, Lamb was a blue chip player at the biggest position of need. Missed opportunity for me. I liked the trade down from #13 to #14, but we are going to toss those extra assets away in the next pick.

#25- Brandon Aiyuk- WR, Arizona State- I also like Aiyuk as a player. He was WR6 on my board, and had an excellent year with ASU this past season. He is terrific with the ball in his hands, especially in the return game. Shanahan obviously thought Aiyuk was worth trading up 6 slots and giving away two mid-rounders in the process. I think Aiyuk may have been on the board at 31 anyways, and there were more talented players chosen after him. I didn't like the move, and think we have a nice number three WR in Aiyuk. He is NOT on the same level as Lamb.

#153 - Colton McKivitz- OT/G- West Virginia- Tough, smart OT/G, McKivitz is an experienced player who is a bit older (24 years old) than most draftees. Although he performed admirably in the Big 12 Conference, his offseason was really not impressive. He struggled at the Senior Bowl, and then tested poorly at the combine. His SPARQ score was at the 17th percentile level. His shuttle time, which is about the surest sign of future success for OL at the next level, was dreadfully slow. My guess is that they hope he can be a swing tackle, but will have to shift him inside to guard at some point.

#190- Charlie Woerner- TE- Georgia- Woerner will have one job for the Niners....be the third TE. He is strictly a blocking TE, having very limited productivity in catching passes for the Bulldogs (34 career catches). He had 9 catches last year. He is a really good blocker, but the team traded up to a guy who ESPN did not even have a picture listed on their draft site. I am guessing Woerner would have completely slipped through the draft, but the Niners didn't want to take that chance. There were simply a LOT of better players on the board.

#217- Jauan Jennings- WR- Tennessee- Jennings was a highly productive WR for the Vols over his career. Big target, and good with the ball in his hands. But, this dude is slow....really slow. Ran a 4.72 at the combine, tested as an 8th percentile WR in his SPARQ score, and is...really, really slow. I just don't know where you put a slow, unathletic guy on the field in the NFL. Maybe they are going to stack 20 pounds on him and make him a move TE.

So, in retrospect, the team picked up a solid interior defender, a third WR who is good at the return game, a backup OT/G with limited athleticism, a blocking TE, and a super-slow WR. I just didn't like the draft at all. I guess the silver lining is that the best two picks were the first two picks.

Shanahan picks guys that fit his scheme. That is something to be admired. However, if defensive coordinators adjust to his schemes, the talent he has acquired is simply below average for NFL play.

#25- Josh Jones- OT- Terrific college OT, with superb PFF grades, was a superstar Senior Bowl performer. Might start Day One for the Cardinals.
#153- KJ Hill- WR- Stud slot WR. Another stud Senior Bowl performer. Do you see a trend here? If you shine during the Senior Bowl, the arrow has to go up.
#190- Markus Bailey- LB- This kid is a beast at LB. Captain, big-time gamer, All-Academic Star; has to overcome 2 ACLs. Love everything about him, and lives about 4 miles away from me.
#217- Eno Benjamin- RB- Someone has to explain to me why this kid was on the board in the 7th round. Can run, catch. Just a stud!

Question you might ask: How would the Niners fill the void of Buckner without selecting Kinlaw? Good question. The draft capital lost in the Aiyuk trade (which killed me) would have allowed the team to select a DT in the mid-rounds, and my bulleye target was Baylor DT Bravvion Roy, who I had graded alongside KJ Hill, and would have selected at number 156. Roy ended up selected at 184. I think Roy would have been a starting quality addition to the team, competing with DJ Jones right away.

Overall, I'd give the Niners a C grade. Kinlaw was my favorite value pick by the team. I just discounted them in bypassing Lamb at 14, and then going for a lesser talent in Aiyuk 11 picks later, having to throw in draft capital along the way (ouch!!!). Plus, we still need a young, stud OT for down the road because we have no idea how Williams is going to play out. He might be great, mediocre, or really mediocre this season. The last three picks were incredibly uninspiring to me.

I hope I am wrong! I hope that all five picks become multi-year All Pros. I just don't see much greatness from this class. We will see in a few years.

-MD

Thanks Maddog, always enjoy your evaluations. My crystal ball, guessing what was in the minds of Lynch/Shanahan, disagrees with your criticism but does not negate the value of your picks...which would have been much closer to my view.

1. Replacing Buckner with a stronger inside presence may have been their goal. They did not have a true plugger, which may be the first role for Kinlaw. Buckner was often moved out of holes on running plays...tall and lean as opposed to a bit shorter and heftier. Still have edge guys and Armstead, as well as some potential inside: Street, Jones, Taylor and Givens. Ford and Bosa continue to make this group first rate...even without Buckner.
2. Lamb vs Aiyuk: again...was more in line with your thinking in going for a #1 WR; but I believe Aiyuk, Samuel and Kittle will create nightmares for defenses for years. Shanahan will use their mobility, quickness and athleticism to great advantage. Adding Jennings gives them another weapon whose productivity outshines his combine duddedness. He may be really effective with the niftier WRs in a 3 WR play...if he can beat out Hurd for the big WR role. I had hopes for Hurd but...
3. Williams/Staley: this made my day as I was so anxious that they would try to draft and plug in a rookie at LT. Just hope he can stay healthy for the year.
3.b. McKivitz will compete with Shule and Coleman and that seems like a good backup situation. Can he play OG? Maybe what they had in mind if there is an injury. I trust Shanahan on the OL perhaps more than any other position. He knows what he needs and it isn't always NFL obvious. Intelligence, mobility, and tenacity may be more valuable than other attributes.

My first two picks would have been something like...
1: Lamb or Ruggs
2: OC/OG (trade down potential) I hate having a question mark at OC due to injury. Even though Garland outplayed my expectations...?

However, Kinlaw may prove to be the cog to complete a dominate DL. Just don't know if he will be the unmoveable middle piece the DL lacked. Armstead and Kinlaw may be really great in the middle...pushing the pocket and stopping the run. Will cross my fingers.

All that said...I do not spend the time you and others do on the draft so...for what it's worth.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 4, 2020 at 11:09 AM ]
Awesome MD and I agree with you on everything. I'd take both you and OTCs drafts over what we did. Hopefully we're all wrong, biggest one for me being Lamb busts and Aiyuk is the better player
I was kind of upset we passed on Lamb and Jeudy during the draft but the more I thought about it this WR class was so deep and none of the top 3 WR were locks. Superstar WR propsects don't slide out of the top 10 imo
[ Edited by Knowledge on May 4, 2020 at 1:53 PM ]
It is pretty shocking that my own personal draft has a strong overlap with the Cowboys over the past few years. Here are the common selections:
2020- Ceedee Lamb- 1st Round
2018- Leighton VanderEsch- 1st Round
2018- Connor Williams- 2nd Round
2018- Cedrick Wilson- 6th round
2017- Xavier Woods, 6th Round
I thought the 49ers played it well. Big dropoff from Kinlaw to the next group of DT's. I just don't see a big difference between Lamb and Aiyuk. Other then height Akyuk beats Lamb in all of the measurables. A guy that runs a 4.5 with a core muscle injury. It's my personal opinion that if Aiyuk was at Oklahoma and Lamb was at Arizona St the rankings would be different. Maddog tell me what Lamb does better then Aiyuk? Lambs forte is run after catch and he had less yards then Aiyuk on Yac.
[ Edited by SanFranFanfrmVa on May 4, 2020 at 2:26 PM ]
Lamb has shown more ability in contested catch situations, but I don't know that that should be weighted so heavily in our offense. I think MD had a giant crush on CeeDee Javon Kinlaw is also a bluechip prospect (maybe not according to MD) and with the loss of Buckner, at a position of need.

I thought that Lamb was a bit overrated due in part to his extra lean lower frame. Look at photos and videos of the guy, he is skinny and lacks the Junk in The Trunk element that is crucial, in my opinion, when it comes to bullying NFL secondaries and rolling up YAC. He could produce YAC in the Big-12 but I think he might struggle with that in the NFL. He does not have the frame that Aiyuk or someone like Deebo has, the lower center of gravity that lends strength and balance. Throw in Lamb's SPARQ which was 121.8 compared to Aiyuk's 130.0 and it appears that Aiyuk is the better overall athlete. Lamb is a good prospect and time will tell but in my view Lamb is not head and shoulders above Aiyuk.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Greetings to all!

-MD

Thanks Maddog, always enjoy your evaluations. My crystal ball, guessing what was in the minds of Lynch/Shanahan, disagrees with your criticism but does not negate the value of your picks...which would have been much closer to my view.

1. Replacing Buckner with a stronger inside presence may have been their goal. They did not have a true plugger, which may be the first role for Kinlaw. Buckner was often moved out of holes on running plays...tall and lean as opposed to a bit shorter and heftier. Still have edge guys and Armstead, as well as some potential inside: Street, Jones, Taylor and Givens. Ford and Bosa continue to make this group first rate...even without Buckner.
2. Lamb vs Aiyuk: again...was more in line with your thinking in going for a #1 WR; but I believe Aiyuk, Samuel and Kittle will create nightmares for defenses for years. Shanahan will use their mobility, quickness and athleticism to great advantage. Adding Jennings gives them another weapon whose productivity outshines his combine duddedness. He may be really effective with the niftier WRs in a 3 WR play...if he can beat out Hurd for the big WR role. I had hopes for Hurd but...
3. Williams/Staley: this made my day as I was so anxious that they would try to draft and plug in a rookie at LT. Just hope he can stay healthy for the year.
3.b. McKivitz will compete with Shule and Coleman and that seems like a good backup situation. Can he play OG? Maybe what they had in mind if there is an injury. I trust Shanahan on the OL perhaps more than any other position. He knows what he needs and it isn't always NFL obvious. Intelligence, mobility, and tenacity may be more valuable than other attributes.

My first two picks would have been something like...
1: Lamb or Ruggs
2: OC/OG (trade down potential) I hate having a question mark at OC due to injury. Even though Garland outplayed my expectations...?

However, Kinlaw may prove to be the cog to complete a dominate DL. Just don't know if he will be the unmoveable middle piece the DL lacked. Armstead and Kinlaw may be really great in the middle...pushing the pocket and stopping the run. Will cross my fingers.

All that said...I do not spend the time you and others do on the draft so...for what it's worth.

But remember Ruggs went 1 pik before we picked (#12). Lamb was der, but Ruggs wasn't..
I like Kinlaw and Aiyuk ... and Jennings (for a 7th) ... I think they will get a lot from those players. But they gave up a lot for Aiyuk so he better be good.

but the 49ers do have a history of over-valuing and over-drafting players rather than waiting to pick them where they are a good value. KS fell in love with Brandon Aiyuk and traded up and I hope it turns out better than his past love affairs (see below).
Also seems like they over-drafted McKivitz and Woerner about one round too high for each.

Shanahan/Lynch have a history of falling in love and over-valuing players. For example they admitted that they would have over-drafted Reuben Foster at pick #3 overall, would have taken Aiyuk with pick #13, and McKivitz in rd 4 despite all of them being projected as later picks ....

Rather than taking players where they are a good value,
KS fell in love with Reuben Foster so he traded up => bust
KS fell in love with CJ Beathard and traded up => bust
KS loved Joe Williams so he traded up => bust
KS loved QB Kirk Cousins so he passed on QB Pat Mahomes and took Solomon Thomas instead = bust
KS fell in love with Dainty Petite so he traded up to #44 => bust
Loved Kentavius Street (with torn ACL) so traded up to 4th = bust
And several others over-drafted like Tarv Moore, Jalen Hurd, Mitch Wishnowsky, etc
[ Edited by maxsmart on May 5, 2020 at 12:26 AM ]
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
I thought the 49ers played it well. Big dropoff from Kinlaw to the next group of DT's. I just don't see a big difference between Lamb and Aiyuk. Other then height Akyuk beats Lamb in all of the measurables. A guy that runs a 4.5 with a core muscle injury. It's my personal opinion that if Aiyuk was at Oklahoma and Lamb was at Arizona St the rankings would be different. Maddog tell me what Lamb does better then Aiyuk? Lambs forte is run after catch and he had less yards then Aiyuk on Yac.

Agreed. Kocurek was drooling over Kinlaw and I trust his instincts.
[ Edited by SFrush on May 5, 2020 at 12:02 AM ]
Well MadDog, you may be right or you may be wrong. What ever happens with the team and drafted players next year, your evaluations won't mean squat. The players previously selected to play for the Niners will have a lot to do with the players currently drafted. Case in point: Debo didn't start ripping secondaries apart until Sanders came along. Another one: the Dline didn't terrorize the NFL until Ford and Bosa hit the scene. There is this thing called "chemistry" which always has something to do with relationships. And I just believe that the FO has some knowledge of how chemistry affects things. Especially when it comes to Kyle's schemes. But, as always...we will see
Share 49ersWebzone