LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 142 users in the forums

The Ones That Got Away

Before we turn the page to the 2021 NFL draft, who were the top 2 or 3 prospects that you still can't get over not being a 49er, whether it be because of an unwarranted draft crush, the thought they will be an absolute steal where they were taken, etc. I have a feeling this thread will be filled with Ruggs/Jeudy/Lamb, but let's air it out one last time before rooting for who we did draft, and falling in love with new players who will break our hearts at this time next year.
CD Lamb is a big one, but when we traded up in the 5th I was hoping it was for Bryce Hall.
I like this idea of a thread lol. It's good to vent out any frustrations we may have. Every year we have a collective draft crush and more often than not we don't get him (except Bosa). For me that guy is Ceedee Lamb. the more i saw about the big 3 receivers the more I thought that Ceedee would be Shanahans guy cause of his insane yac ability. Looks like my hunch was right cause Kyle said that was his number 2 guy.
For me, there are a few standouts:

Jaylon Johnson, CB
My number one CB target. Didn't expect him to get major playing time in year one, but would open up the draft for us big time next year.

Bryce Hall, CB
While I like the player, I'm not nearly as bummed about missing the player (like Johnson), so much as I am about the manner in which it happened. I woke up early to see if there is any early trade action to get the niners in the mix, especially with a player like Hall dropping. I finally gave up hope and decided to take my dogs for a walk. Literally, the moment I get back and sit on couch, the niners have traded and are on the clock! Holy s**t, were getting Bryce Hall, LFG!!!! Wait, who the @#$& is Colton Mcs**tvitz?!??

Bryan Edwards, WR
This takes the cake for me. The number one heartbreak, the one that got away. Dude had a <18 breakout age, and is going to be a stud in the NFL. This one, I think, is going to hurt for a long time.
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Apr 26, 2020 at 6:00 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Aiyuk's selection is basically an example of GETTING THE GUY YOU REALLY LIKE !
I'm ok with the way things panned out, if Kinlaw was there when we selected it was a no-brainer.
I think all three of these actual Niners picks would have been available as UDFA. I would have much rather drafted the Vs. picks first.

7 (153)Colton McKivitz West Virginia OT
Vs.
Bradlee Anae, Utah, DE

11 (190) Charlie Woerner, Georgia, TE
Vs
31 (210) Prince Tega Wanogho, Auburn, OT

3 (217) Jauan Jennings, Tennessee WR
Vs.
40 (254) Derrek Tuszka, North Dakota State
OLB
[ Edited by Butter on Apr 26, 2020 at 6:46 PM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Colton McKivitz West Virginia OT
Vs.
Nic Harris, C/OG Washington

Juaun Jennings
Vs
Kenny Willekes, DE Mich. St.
1. Antonio Gibson - RB/WR - Memphis

If there was any player in this draft that fit the KS mold... it was Gibson. I believed in this offense he could have been as important as Aiyuk or any other skill position player we drafted. So much so that I wouldn't have been mad if we drafted him at 31. He's basically Percy Harvin without the attitude but a better runningback.

2. Damien Lewis - G - LSU

This one hurts more that the Seahawks got him tbh. I thought his tape proved he was clearly the second best interior lineman in the class and could have played in our zone scheme even though he has enough strength to play in a power scheme. Fantastic awareness and he's a finisher. Sucks that he's gone to a division rival but we didn't have any picks this year so I understand.

3. Lynn Bowden Jr. - RB/WR - Kentucky

Similar to Gibson in that he can do a number of things. I just thought KS could have made Gibson or Bowden into a star. I understand drafting Aiyuk means he's probably our return guy but I kinda hoped we would draft one of these do it all weapons to take over the return duties so Aiyuk could focus on offense.

Those are my three guys. I'm good with the draft I just wish we had more picks.
Colby Parkinson TE- Stanford
6-8" 251

This kid is a freak and Wilson might utilize his ball skills and versatility and length. I like what Schneider has done for the cheat birds we just need to keep pace.

Really wanted Bradlee Anae and Kenny Robinson in the later rounds.
Originally posted by WestCoastO:
6-8" 251

This kid is a freak and Wilson might utilize his ball skills and versatility and length. I like what Schneider has done for the cheat birds we just need to keep pace.

Shanahan prefers tight ends who can block.
I was really hoping for Bryce Hall and Dalton Keene. Both seem to fit what we're trying to do on those respective sides of the ball.

Beware of the Pats: They snagged Keene and Asiasi.
I'd like to say Bryce Hall but the need at O Line was greater. Hope they got Mckivitz right.
Originally posted by WestCoastO:
6-8" 251

As PFF said 9ers best pick was the Hawks taking a run stopping Lb who can't cover.
Share 49ersWebzone