LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

2020 draft rumors

GM Kevin Colbert suggests adding three rounds to this year's NFL draft. honestly, I don't think it's a bad idea at all. Just under three weeks away, would they even consider doing this?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by saniner:
GM Kevin Colbert suggests adding three rounds to this year's NFL draft. honestly, I don't think it's a bad idea at all. Just under three weeks away, would they even consider doing this?

I wouldn't mind 3 more rounds - just more draft fun.

As a team that has done pretty damn good in the UDFA market I say "no thanks"
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

As a team that has done pretty damn good in the UDFA market I say "no thanks"

Yeah f that! It means we picking next to last of the undrafted guys too
Originally posted by leonbanton:
Lamb will look nothing like he does on the professional level. A few side steps and a spin move will not break tackles in the nfl. I personally think he is starting to get a little over rated. Never saw him pressed and he never looks fast!

Maybe I'm wrong! I can accept that. I just don't want the Niners be the team to take on a bust at 13!
I also think Lamb is overrated. He does have some extremely good things about him though. He has amazing hands, Locates and attacks the ball well when its in the air. He was very good at YAC, but I agree a lot of that was just very poor tackling and I am not sure he will be as successful at that at the NFL level. My biggest concern though is his speed and his ability to create separation for a WR of his size. I wouldn't take Lamb at #13.If Jeudy/Ruggs are gone then I would much rather draft another position or trade down then take Lamb at 13. Then I would address The WR position with a later pick. It is a very deep class after all.
Originally posted by Bloodless:
Originally posted by leonbanton:
Lamb will look nothing like he does on the professional level. A few side steps and a spin move will not break tackles in the nfl. I personally think he is starting to get a little over rated. Never saw him pressed and he never looks fast!

Maybe I'm wrong! I can accept that. I just don't want the Niners be the team to take on a bust at 13!
I also think Lamb is overrated. He does have some extremely good things about him though. He has amazing hands, Locates and attacks the ball well when its in the air. He was very good at YAC, but I agree a lot of that was just very poor tackling and I am not sure he will be as successful at that at the NFL level. My biggest concern though is his speed and his ability to create separation for a WR of his size. I wouldn't take Lamb at #13.If Jeudy/Ruggs are gone then I would much rather draft another position or trade down then take Lamb at 13. Then I would address The WR position with a later pick. It is a very deep class after all.

I am with you on that. I have about 3 player I would sit pay for, after that trade down and get into the bottom half of the first and target maybe Mims. I think he gives you the deep Ball threat option in a bigger body. And he can ru routes !!!
Originally posted by SD49er:
Originally posted by longterm9erfan:
I actually think the Niners should trade down from both number one picks.

This draft is very deep at a number of positions. The Niners could actually find a number one WR in the second round this year. There are 16 WRs rated "A+" or "A" according to Draft Scout. Getting one of the top 3 would be nice but when one considers the recent track record of WRs drafted in the first round and the other needs the team has (L OT, OG, CB, DT, Edge rusher, and backup TE just to name a few), taking a wide-out in the first round is a luxury the team cannot afford.

With that 13th pick, the Niners could conceivably get 3-4 picks in the top 4 rounds out of it,, fill a number of needs with those choices, and then the Buck trade starts to look pretty good. If they trade out of both picks, you are talking 5-6 picks in the first 4 rounds...and again, this is a deep draft. If the team plays its cards right, they could really stock up.

Cheers!

I agree with this strategy depending on the available trades. If the team could pick up a 2 and 3 to move back from 13 to a spot in the late teens or early 20s, plus an extra 3 or 4 (plus the 2) to move off 31, we would end up with 1, 2, 2, 3, 3/4, 5, 5, 6, 7, 7. This front office has done a good job over the last couple drafts picking up talent outside of the first round. From what the "experts" say it appears this is a deep draft. The more picks we have the more opportunity we have to pick up starters/contributors.

You....are correct, sir!
Just say no. 49ers get pick #31 at end of each round and many UDFA would want to come to 49ers over many other teams to play in KS offense and play on superbowl team so we would do better in UDFA
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Just say no. 49ers get pick #31 at end of each round and many UDFA would want to come to 49ers over many other teams to play in KS offense and play on superbowl team so we would do better in UDFA

How many of the top UDFA have signed with the Patriots recently? Undrafted players want to sign with teams that give them the best opportunities to make a roster or at least a practice squad.
Originally posted by Nastastical:
How many of the top UDFA have signed with the Patriots recently? Undrafted players want to sign with teams that give them the best opportunities to make a roster or at least a practice squad.

Agree, I will say it's also about how you court them throughout the draft process as well. SF spends a crap load of time interviewing/scouting late rd players. I think they also look at what past UDFAs have done here and factor in that in as well.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 8, 2020 at 7:09 AM ]

Raiders would have to use that 19th pick to get him.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
From B/R:

Teams aren't crazy about trading up for Tua because of the medicals (could be lying)

Tua compared to Brunell

Teams worried about hacking when it comes to online draft (that is very interesting)

A lot of people in the league still high on Cam Newton as a viable starter.

From an unnamed AFC assistant coach:

Dolphins: "They'll probably pick [Tagovailoa], and that would be a smart choice, but they should give strong consideration to Newton. He still has three or four really good years left."

Bears: "[Acquiring Nick] Foles over Newton was a terrible mistake."

Rams: "Same as Jameis. He'd be an instant upgrade."

Patriots: "I wouldn't be stunned if this happened."

Raiders: "They'd make the playoffs with him at quarterback."

Colts: "He'd beat both of them [Philip Rivers and Jacoby Brissett] out. He's significantly better than both."
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Originally posted by maxsmart:

Belichick plays the best players regardless of where they were drafted. If you believe in yourself

• FL9er
  • Veteran
Claypool, Aiyuk are Polarizing ProspectsUpdated April 8, 2020

By Charlie Campbell. Follow Charlie on Twitter @draftcampbell.

In every NFL draft, there are players who go in the first round or lower in the mid-rounds, shocking other teams around the league. Some teams can have a player graded in the first round who other teams have multiple rounds lower. This year, two prospects who are very polarizing in that conversation are Notre Dame wide receiver Chase Claypool and Arizona State wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk. Sources from some teams say they have them in consideration for their first-round picks while others have them graded well into the second day of the 2020 NFL Draft.

Claypool ran fast times at the combine, but some teams have questions about his playing speed. Those who are believers in Claypool feel he could be a Vincent Jackson-like receiver in the NFL. Multiple teams said they had a second-round grade on Claypool.

One team said they had Aiyuk graded as a late third-round/early fourth-round pick, while others feel he is a second-rounder. Here's how one college director described Aiyuk, "I think Aiyuk is a third-round pick. That's what his film and workout [say]. However, someone might reach and overdraft him."

Thus, Claypool and Aiyuk could be in store for a long wait in the 2020 NFL Draft or they might go on the opening night. Across the league, they are polarizing players. While multiple teams say they have graded Claypool and Aiyuk on the second day of the 2020 NFL Draft, I know a team that has each in contention for their first-round pick.

https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Claypool,-Aiyuk-are-Polarizing-Prospects

We quoting walterfootball now? lol
Originally posted by FL9er:
From B/R:

Teams aren't crazy about trading up for Tua because of the medicals (could be lying)

Tua compared to Brunell

Teams worried about hacking when it comes to online draft (that is very interesting)

A lot of people in the league still high on Cam Newton as a viable starter.

From an unnamed AFC assistant coach:

Dolphins: "They'll probably pick [Tagovailoa], and that would be a smart choice, but they should give strong consideration to Newton. He still has three or four really good years left."

Bears: "[Acquiring Nick] Foles over Newton was a terrible mistake."

Rams: "Same as Jameis. He'd be an instant upgrade."

Patriots: "I wouldn't be stunned if this happened."

Raiders: "They'd make the playoffs with him at quarterback."

Colts: "He'd beat both of them [Philip Rivers and Jacoby Brissett] out. He's significantly better than both."

Holy s**t Jared Goff just got absolutely destroyed
Share 49ersWebzone