LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 140 users in the forums

Not sold on 49ers picking a WR with 13th Pick

Originally posted by NYniner85:
If we're looking at visits then they don't plan on drafting anyone in the 1st rd lol

Haha, true true.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yup. And targets in FA too.

If we're looking at visits then they don't plan on drafting anyone in the 1st rd lol

We we're talking types. not players per se.

So "types" are all day 3 players

They talked to big WRs, fast WRs, routing running WRs. Guys they can play inside or outside etc.

One thing that's remained that same is what they like at OL.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 6, 2020 at 3:36 PM ]
And this is why my gut tells me we trade back and select blacklock. The optics automatically changes. It becomes we got Blacklock plus (whomever with those extra picks) for Buckner. And if Blacklock turns out to be anything close to Buckner it turns out to be a HUGE win.

Right, wrong or indifferent that's just what my gut tells me.

It's a sound take esp. with the inactivity in FA. They need more picks. THIS is John's off-season.

Or Blacklock falls to 31 and you get a WR at 13. THat would not be a bad haul. Pretend 31 is a high 2nd rounder and Denver's 5th is a low 4th rounder and essentially just means we didn't have a 3rd round pick this year. Difference in our 4th rounder we gave to Denver and their 5th they gave us is what? 10-15 slots?

I'll be happy with Jeudy/Ruggs and Blacklock as our first two picks with no trades.

Gonna be so fun to watch what Shanalynch does. I just want them to select the right players that are actually gonna live up to their draft slot, regardless of the positions and order they decide to pick them in.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by dlance:
Not really. The clear two biggest reasons we lost the Superbowl was OL and CB...two positions that are very close to losing their anchors in Staley and Sherman.

The XWR you're focused on had 3 catches for 38 yards. We were up 10 points with 7 minutes to go until the OL s**t the bed and the defense gave up 21 points in 5 minutes.

Even the incompletions were to open Y's (Kittle/Bourne) & Z's (Deebo)...just passes knocked down, or thrown too high d/t being rushed, defenders making diving PD's, etc.

Sanders at X was virtually non existent in the game plan and even he was in position to catch that bomb.

I 100% agree. A WR would be great to have, but if one of the OL fall or if there is a CB that is rated high at pick 13 they should probably go that way. This draft is all about valve in my eyes. They can used help or depth all over that team. They need help at DB, OL WR depth at Edge, LB and DL.

THESE

The failure rate is too high for 1st round WRs. OLs taken in the 1st are far more likely to be starters and make the Pro Bowl than Wrs. As stated above, there is a lot more depth a WR this year than at OL. Any one of the 2nd or even 3rd round receivers could end up being stars on a team like SF. I won't be upset if they pick one of the top 3 receivers but OL might be the better way to go if one of the top guys is sitting there at #13. Staley won't be easy to replace so it would be wise to start grooming someone now.

This is a fact, but one needs to look at the players drafted. More often than not, receivers are drafted lacking quality skills to make them viable pros. This is perhaps the number one reason for such a high bust rate for receivers. Drafting guys simply because they run fast in a straight line or guys that are big receivers that run fast in a straight line thinking they are the next Julio Jones. Show a list at the WR busts and you generally could've predicted the majority of them. If Ruggs is gone, trade back and try to pick up 3 or 4 starters using those two first round picks (a trade back with both should net us a couple day 2 picks).
I wouldn't be bummed if we went OT w/#13.

AND hopefully get Mims later somehow.
Ok, here is some food for thought. I think the top WRs will drop in the draft. If Lynch and Shanahan want a top 3 WR at 13, one will be there for them. But I still don't think they will pick a WR.

The problem is that its likely there will be no training camp, or a very abbreviated one, That means less time or almost no time to learn Shanahan's offensive playbook, which by all accounts is a complicated one. For a rookie WR to absorb it in a short time, would be extremely hard. Not to mention the lack of a training camp will result in little chemistry with JG nor timing. Its not like all rookies are coming in veteran-like Sanders, and being able to pick up the offence right away and contribute. If a team is going to draft a WR that high, they would want him to contribute right away. Not likely to happen for this year's top WRs.

OTs and DTs don't have the same learning curve as a WR, and could conceivably start, even with little or no training camp. Just my 2 cents.
[ Edited by Vancouver49er on Apr 7, 2020 at 10:08 AM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Vancouver49er:
Ok, here is some food for thought. I think the top WRs will drop in the draft. If Lynch and Shanahan want a top 3 WR at 13, one will be there for them. But I still don't think they will pick a WR.

The problem is that its likely there will be no training camp, or a very abbreviated one, That means less time or almost no time to learn Shanahan's offensive playbook, which by all accounts is a complicated one. For a rookie WR to absorb it in a short time, would be extremely hard. Not to mention the lack of a training camp will result in little chemistry with JG nor timing. Its not like all rookies are coming in veteran-like Sanders, and being able to pick up the offence right away and contribute. If a team is going to draft a WR that high, they would want him to contribute right away. Not likely to happen for this year's top WRs.

OTs and DTs don't have the same earning curve as a WR, and could conceivably start, even with little or no training camp. Just my 2 cents.

I'm not in the WR at 13 or bust camp. Unlike some folks on this board, ShanaLynch ain't just drafting for the outcome of 2020.

The base of your argument is spot on. I don't think that in and of itself will deter them from picking one position or another.
i'm predicting kinlaw, makes the most sense
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

It would not suck to get Defo's replacement at that point.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Yup, gotta keep the line strong

• mayo49
  • Veteran

No, Ruggs at #13, then Ruiz at #31.
  • All22
  • Veteran

Draft edge, move Armstead inside. Problem Solved.

Would be pretty underwhelming for me to swap DT for DT at #13. That's one place we're fairly deep. Strengthen the WR, OL or CB is the play hopefully imo
Originally posted by illinois9er:
Would be pretty underwhelming for me to swap DT for DT at #13. That's one place we're fairly deep. Strengthen the WR, OL or CB is the play hopefully imo

I'd rather trade down then draft one of the two top DTs.
I'm starting to hope for a trade down, even a couple times from #13 now. As much as I want to get Ruggs or Jeudy, if we could add a few 2nd round picks (also trading down from #31) and get a good DL/ER and a guy like Justin Jefferson or Pittman and a DB and OG in the 2nd that would be even sweeter.
Share 49ersWebzone