LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 199 users in the forums

Antonio Gibson-WR/RB/KR/STUD-Memphis

Big, physical WR/RB hybrid that is a threat to run or catch and with the speed to take it to the house from anywhere on the field. He had a hell of a game against SMU and his combination of versatility and athleticism could make him very intriguing to Shanahan. He had 700+ yards receiving and 300+ yards rushing this past season.

Thought about including him in a recent mock actually, but went with Lynn Bowden instead. Gibson is another hybrid guy I could see Shanahan being interested in.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
We could use another Deebo. Powerful yet fast.
My guy

Bigger and faster Deebo. Perfect fit for KS's system. Great with the ball after catch. Very underrated, so we should be able to get him in the later rounds.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
My guy

Bigger and faster Deebo. Perfect fit for KS's system. Great with the ball after catch. Very underrated, so we should be able to get him in the later rounds.

Looks good to me. Would not be upset adding this kid to the Niners.
He's a unique weapon that I feel is being greatly overlooked. He won't work in every system but Shanahan could definitely utilize him to his full potential. I think he could be a souped up version of what Shanahan was hoping for from McKinnon.

Imagine trotting out a personnel group of Gibson, Samuel, Hurd, Kittle and Juice and having the defense trying to decipher who is going where and if its actually a run or pass.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He's a unique weapon that I feel is being greatly overlooked. He won't work in every system but Shanahan could definitely utilize him to his full potential. I think he could be a souped up version of what Shanahan was hoping for from McKinnon.

Imagine trotting out a personnel group of Gibson, Samuel, Hurd, Kittle and Juice and having the defense trying to decipher who is going where and if its actually a run or pass.

Forget McKinnon, he could be another version of Jalen Hurd. No, I kid, because Hurd proved he could legitimately be a #1 back OR receiver. Gibson has so much raw ability, it's going to be interesting to see what happens with him. I don't think he's masterful in any one area just yet, but he's got so much potential.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Forget McKinnon, he could be another version of Jalen Hurd. No, I kid, because Hurd proved he could legitimately be a #1 back OR receiver. Gibson has so much raw ability, it's going to be interesting to see what happens with him. I don't think he's masterful in any one area just yet, but he's got so much potential.

I actually think he's a better RB coming out of college than Hurd was. I think if a team wanted to limit him to just playing from out of the backfield, that he'd still be good value. I saw comments from one team scout raving about his pass blocking ability. You know Shanahan loves hearing that. Plus Memphis runs a crap ton of outside zone so right off the bat you could get a ton of value out of him just for his ability as a RB but then you throw in his skills as a receiver and returner and he's a tantalizing chess piece for Shanahan to play with.
6'2" 221 lbs. If he runs fast he will probably go pretty high. Productive and a play maker. Fast and strong.
From the eye test, he looks like he runs a mid to low 4.4 in the 40s. Rarely gets caught from behind and usually breaks away from defenders when he hits that high gear. Would love for this kid to be a Niner.

His game against SMU was sick. I saw a couple of his games, he would definitely fit on the niners.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
6'2" 221 lbs. If he runs fast he will probably go pretty high. Productive and a play maker. Fast and strong.

He actually came in a hair over 6 foot at the SB. FWIW
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

He actually came in a hair over 6 foot at the SB. FWIW

I was going to say he would probably fill the same roll they envisioned for Jalen Hurd before he got injured and that Deebo appears to be filling.Unless they've decided to give up on him already, it's unlikely they'll draft the likes of Gibson, though I'd love to have him.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I actually think he's a better RB coming out of college than Hurd was. I think if a team wanted to limit him to just playing from out of the backfield, that he'd still be good value. I saw comments from one team scout raving about his pass blocking ability. You know Shanahan loves hearing that. Plus Memphis runs a crap ton of outside zone so right off the bat you could get a ton of value out of him just for his ability as a RB but then you throw in his skills as a receiver and returner and he's a tantalizing chess piece for Shanahan to play with.

I could see the argument for that. I do feel like Hurd is a better fit at WR than RB, and Gibson I'm not so sure. Gibson seems like the perfect all-purpose player our team could use. A true hybrid RB/WR who can also return kicks. I like Breida, don't get me wrong, but if we had to trade one runner, he would be the one. I still really like Jeff Wilson and feel like we'd have a great blend of speed and power with a 4-man backfield of Mostert, Coleman, Wilson, and Gibson if we landed him. And that's not including if McKinnon took a massive paycut and managed to return to form and make the team instead over, say, Wilson.
Share 49ersWebzone