LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

"Hog Molly" OL prospects 2020

Add Nick Harris to the list. He's on the shorter side, but he is a great zone scheme fit. He would be a trade down candidate.

Originally posted by saniner:
Add Nick Harris to the list. He's on the shorter side, but he is a great zone scheme fit. He would be a trade down candidate.

Yes sir...probably a top 100 pick mostly zone blocking scheme.

Move down grab some extra picks and get a guy like this is a typical Kyle move.
I think we need to start looking for a replacement for Staley and Richburg. Staley is obviously at the tail end of his career and Richburg is a huge ? due to injury.

We only have 1 pick in the first 4 rounds though, so we better make it count. The 49ers seem to be as cursed at drafting interior lineman in the early rounds as they are at receiver.
[ Edited by IrishCrnjo on Dec 10, 2019 at 7:03 AM ]
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
I think we need to start looking for a replacement for Staley and Richburg. Staley is obviously at the tail end of his career and Richburg is a huge ? due to injury.

We only have 1 pick in the first 4 rounds though, so we better make it count. The 49ers seem to be as cursed at drafting interior lineman in the early rounds as they are at receiver.

Trade back a couple times. Add another three or four picks. The talent in most draft classes goes flat between 25 and 40 anyways. There however are always teams looking to move up for a specific player and especially QBs. If the 49ers played it right, they could turn that late 1st into an early to mid 2nd, a 3rd, another 4th and a few later picks. Perfect for a team with an established core just needing to fill in around the edges.

Agreed, with a couple of provisos.

I think Brunskill may well be Staley's replacement. Skule will surely be worked on as a future OT and Shon Coleman is probably, when he returns from I/R, the swing tackle. Happy to pick up another OT for development.

I do not agree that Richburg is injury prone. A torn tendon last year. Getting his leg bent underneath him this year. These are happenstance, they do not indicate any kind of tendency towards injury. I would like to see Ben Garland play a few times before I judge the need for drafting another center, but also bear in mind that Brunskill can play center.

Your comment about being cursed at drafting interior linemen in the early rounds puzzles me. The only O linemen that the current management have drafted are Skule and McGlinchey, neither obviously interior and both, I would suggest, successes. Garnett was a failed pick in 2016 with a 1st, Martin likewise in 2014 with a 3rd and before that, Looney in 2012 and Iupati in 2010 neither of whom were disastrous. Bearing in mind that no pick is guaranteed, I don't think that this is a bad record and certainly the track record for current management is fine.

Regarding being cursed at early rounds drafting at receiver, I do not think that this is easy to justify, either. Deebo looks like a terrific pick. Hard to judge Hurd but I thought he looked really good in the pre-seasons. Early days to write off Pettis but things could look better here. The only other receiver taken by current management is Trent Taylor in the 5th and I think he looks like good value for a 5th rounder. Previous management took Smelter in the 4th, Ellington in the 4th, Patton in the 4th and A J Jenkins in the 1st. I don't think 4th round picks can be classified as the early rounds but Jenkins was undeniably a bust. But A J Jenkins and the possibility of having to dump Pettis does not justify being cursed. Drafting is a lottery and expectations need to be realistic.

That all being said, I would like to see activity on the O line next draft. I totally believe that you start with the two lines. Having built them, you need to upkeep them.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Trade back a couple times. Add another three or four picks. The talent in most draft classes goes flat between 25 and 40 anyways. There however are always teams looking to move up for a specific player and especially QBs. If the 49ers played it right, they could turn that late 1st into an early to mid 2nd, a 3rd, another 4th and a few later picks. Perfect for a team with an established core just needing to fill in around the edges.

Well said. At the minimum, the Niners should be able to net an early 2nd round pick in the low 40's and a late 3rd for their first round pick. The Seahawks started the 2019 draft with ONLY 4 picks, but ended up with 11 selections, so anything is possible. This post has all the top candidates listed, but I'm sure we will have a much bigger list of prospects the closer we get to the offseason.

I think they should focus on IOL. Joe played pretty damn good on Sunday vs one of the best pass rushers in football. That Saints DL overall is no joke. Joe will be the LT for as long as he wants to be (wouldn't shock me if he finishes out his contract which is good thru 2021). I don't see them going tackle early with Skule and Brunskill on the team either.

I would have never said we needed to find a replacement for Richburg because he's relatively young and signed for like 3 more yrs. That injury he got could be the end for him as a upper echelon center (hope I'm wrong). He was playing good ball this yr.

IOL could be upgraded and depth could be had. I hope they go in that direction at some point in the draft.

Also what do you mean cursed? One of the reason this team is as good as it is right now is because we invested in DL early.

Bosa/Buck/AA are studs. Solly not so much, but you can't hit on everything.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Well said. At the minimum, the Niners should be able to net an early 2nd round pick in the low 40's and a late 3rd for their first round pick. The Seahawks started the 2019 draft with ONLY 4 picks, but ended up with 11 selections, so anything is possible. This post has all the top candidates listed, but I'm sure we will have a much bigger list of prospects the closer we get to the offseason.

yup those were just some off the top of my head.

Nick Harris is another name brought up by saniner
Here is an updated prospect list from Bleacher Report for the Interior Offensive Linemen:

Best Run-Blocker: Trey Smith, Tennessee

Best Pass-Blocker: Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma

Best Center: Tyler Biadasz, Wisconsin

Best Guard: John Simpson, Clemson

Best Day 1 Starter: Biadasz

Biggest Riser: Nick Harris, Washington

1. Tyler Biadasz, Wisconsin

2. Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma

3. John Simpson, Clemson

4. Ben Bredeson, Michigan

5. Nick Harris, Washington

6. Mekhi Becton, Louisville

7. Shane Lemieux, Oregon

8. Trey Smith, Tennessee

9. Tommy Kraemer, Notre Dame

10. Darryl Williams, Mississippi State

11. Lloyd Cushenberry III, LSU

12. Trystan Colon-Castillo, Missouri

13. Jake Hanson, Oregon

14. Logan Stenberg, Kentucky

15. Zach Shackelford, Texas
And the Offensive Tackles:

Best Run-Blocker: Andrew Thomas, Georgia

Best Pass-Blocker: Jedrick Wills Jr., Alabama

Best Day 1 Starter: Tristan Wirfs, Iowa

Biggest Riser: Josh Jones, Houston

Biggest Sleeper: Calvin Throckmorton, Oregon

1. Andrew Thomas, Georgia

2. Tristan Wirfs, Iowa

3. Jedrick Wills Jr., Alabama

4. Austin Jackson, USC

5. Alex Leatherwood, Alabama

6. Matt Peart, UConn

7. Josh Jones, Houston

8. Walker Little, Stanford

9. Alaric Jackson, Iowa

10. Prince Tega Wanogho, Auburn

11. Lucas Niang, TCU

12. Trey Adams, Washington

13. Liam Eichenberg, Notre Dame

14. Jack Driscoll, Auburn

15. Calvin Throckmorton, Oregon

We need to re-up on the interior.
Shanahan loves this

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Netane Muti.

I was gonna add him...how is his health though?

Not just this year either...I think he's had 3 of his 4 college seasons cut short due to a leg/foot injury. Love the guy, but seems way too risky.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Not just this year either...I think he's had 3 of his 4 college seasons cut short due to a leg/foot injury. Love the guy, but seems way too risky.

2 Achilles and a linsfrac, but damn, can be so special.

[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Dec 11, 2019 at 4:18 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Shanahan loves this

the Senior Bowl will be big for him
Share 49ersWebzone