LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

WR class 2020

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Just draft one of the WRs at #13 and Ruiz at #31 and I'm a happy camper.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 7, 2020 at 8:12 AM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
OK, so that's two, compared to how many successful 1st round WR's. So let me get this straight, you guys don't wanna draft a WR in the 1st round cause you don't feel good about them or whatever the reason, yet you can only name me two OT's that successfully made the transitions to Guard in the NFL. OK make sense.

FWIW, i'm not in the "you guys" category (as far as wanting an OT). I do prefer Fulton to any of these WRs. Also think it would be a waste to draft a top OT to play G at 13. Though I understand wanting to get one this year with anticipation of Joe retiring and not being in position to be this close again to a top OT. You know, kind of the same reasoning some of the WR folks are giving.

I was merely just answering your question.
[ Edited by krizay on Apr 7, 2020 at 8:15 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:

I can't argue this. Would be solid. We have a chance to add two starters for sure. I wish we could get some middle round picks back, but we have a talented team as is.

The only thing is CB.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

I can't argue this. Would be solid. We have a chance to add two starters for sure. I wish we could get some middle round picks back, but we have a talented team as is.

The only thing is CB.

Trade the rest of our draft picks for a 2nd or 3rd.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

LMAO! so go all in for 2020? Future be damn! recipe for failure over the course of the long haul
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:

LMAO! so go all in for 2020? Future be damn! recipe for failure over the course of the long haul

Remaining picks probably aren't going to amount for much. I'd do it for a 2nd and or 3rd.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
OK, so that's two, compared to how many successful 1st round WR's. So let me get this straight, you guys don't wanna draft a WR in the 1st round cause you don't feel good about them or whatever the reason, yet you can only name me two OT's that successfully made the transitions to Guard in the NFL. OK make sense.

It's not just transitioning to guard...its taking a OT that will transition to guard, play guard for a couple yrs, then transition back to playing tackle and left tackle at that.

So when scouting you have to be able to say with 100% certain that this tackle can play guard at a high enough level to be the pick at 13 anyway, then play the position at a high enough level to be the pick at LT....It's not like this is some normal thing when using a top 15 pick only guys that comes to mind recently is Tunsil (who was looked at as the best prospect in his draft, if not for a bong mask lol) he played guard for a yr and was below avg.

Those examples were guys that where scouted as guards at the next level. They weren't going to play tackle...it's not the same.

Remaining picks probably aren't going to amount for much. I'd do it for a 2nd and or 3rd.

good point. I was thinking we would see a few trades for middle/late rounds picks. (Goodwin, Thomas etc)
  • krizay
  • Veteran
good point. I was thinking we would see a few trades for middle/late rounds picks. (Goodwin, Thomas etc)

I'm all for packaging picks and players we dont plan on keeping (breida, goodwin & possibly pettis) but not giving them away entirely.

Kittle, Greenlaw, DJ Jones, Julian Taylor will all be major contributors this year that were 5th-7th picks.

While Trent Taylor & Marcell Harris added needed depth at different points over the last few years.

Honestly if we can leave this draft with 3-4 prospects with most being drafted in the top 100, I'm fine. They've been very good at scouting UDFAs as well. As we see more names come out of players they've "met" you'll see more guys that are late day 3 prospects/UDFAs.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 7, 2020 at 8:47 AM ]

There are some interesting linemen slated to come off the board maybe as late as the 5th and 6th.

I really like Driscoll and Taylor.

I'm all for packaging picks and players we dont plan on keeping (breida, goodwin & possibly pettis) but not giving them away entirely.

Kittle, Greenlaw, DJ Jones, Julian Taylor will all be major contributors this year that were 5th-7th picks.

While Trent Taylor & Marcell Harris added needed depth at different points over the last few years.

Yes its a crap shoot, but we have a playoff roster now and that could change FAST. I would rather sacrifice later picks for a higher one at this point.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dshearn:

There are some interesting linemen slated to come off the board maybe as late as the 5th and 6th.

I really like Driscoll and Taylor.

I agree - it'd be a tough choice. I can see both sides of the argument.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Yes its a crap shoot, but we have a playoff roster now and that could change FAST. I would rather sacrifice later picks for a higher one at this point.

The only way it changes fast is going in to win now mode.
I can see most teams looking to trade this years 4-7 round picks for picks next year. With the uncertainty in this years draft process.
Teams don't want to take players they don't know everything about.

There is going to be a mad dash for udfa's this year.
Share 49ersWebzone