LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 312 users in the forums

WR class 2020

Originally posted by Scottie15:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I keep thinking when working in my mock that we might not be able to draft a WR since we drafted 2 just last year. Usually you would want to spread out positions because we would have to sign 3 WRs in 2 years to keep them.

Anyone else think that we might shy away from another WR this year even though the class is stacked?

Yes, because we have other needs, like O-line, CB, and Safety. With limited draft capital, we don't have much of a choice.

disagree. SF isn't gonna reach for position need IMO
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102658/article/jeremiah-2020-receiver-class-is-deepest-ive-seen

He rates 27 players as worthy of being picked by the third round. Recall, my post the other week saying the general average in most years is around 30 WRs TOTAL being selected. That's how insane this class is. Again, we could have 40-50 off the board. I think we legit set a record for number of WR chosen.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 21, 2020 at 12:31 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102658/article/jeremiah-2020-receiver-class-is-deepest-ive-seen

He rates 27 players as worthy of being picked by the third round. Recall, my post the other week saying the general average in most years is around 30 WRs TOTAL being selected. That's how insane this class is. Again, we could have 40-50 off the board. I think we legit set a record for number of WR chosen.

Yeah they should be looking at WR regardless. This class is too good. Honestly the only guy we can truly count on at this pt is Deebo.

Hurd/Taylor/Pettis are ??
James got like what 10 targets all yr
Bourne is a good depth WR not a game changer

At this pt that's all we got.

What do you think is more likely? That number of WRs drafted balloons past its average by that much? Or that the total number stays about the same but the quality of late round guys this year compared to other years goes up?

Personally, I think it will be some of both. But more of the later. Just my guess though...
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

What do you think is more likely? That number of WRs drafted balloons past its average by that much? Or that the total number stays about the same but the quality of late round guys this year compared to other years goes up?

Personally, I think it will be some of both. But more of the later. Just my guess though...

Too early to tell, honestly. Combine should really help set the order.
I don't like selecting a WR with the 31st overall pick given that we spent so much draft capital on WR the last three years (2 second round picks and one third), we have bigger needs at CB and OL, and we are missing picks in the rounds 2, 3, and 4.

If we can trade back then sure. But leaving this draft with a starter at CB and OL is a more important outcome IMO.
Originally posted by CardinalGold:
I don't like selecting a WR with the 31st overall pick given that we spent so much draft capital on WR the last three years (2 second round picks and one third), we have bigger needs at CB and OL, and we are missing picks in the rounds 2, 3, and 4.

If we can trade back then sure. But leaving this draft with a starter at CB and OL is a more important outcome IMO.

I agree with that. CB and OL are the 49er biggest need. The coaches mite be thinking OL is fine?
Originally posted by dlance:
The coaches mite be thinking OL is fine?

I don't think so, the center of the was weak and collapsed quickly, the depth is poor, and Staley is old
Speed for days!

• All22
  • Veteran

If someone like Shenault falls to 31 then I'd rather John and Kyle not try to get cute.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Speed for days!

It looks like someone ran that clip through a computer program, slowed everyone down and made Ruggs x2 speed lol.
Originally posted by All22:

If someone like Shenault falls to 31 then I'd rather John and Kyle not try to get cute.

I like Shenault but I think I'd rather us trade down if he's there. If we take a WR at 31 I'd like it to be Reagor or find some way to move up for Ruggs(which will be costly)
Wouldn't be upset at all if he's the pick end of the day

Not that it sets anything in stone, but John Lynch sure sounded like they aren't going to be using a draft pick on a WR. At least not early. He emphasized that multiple guys are slated to returne next year.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Share 49ersWebzone