LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

WR class 2020

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Quartney Davis is one I forgot to list. See this draft is so WR rich, would love to let Bourne go in free agency and trade Pettis for a 6th round pick. I really have doubts about Jalen Hurd and Trent Taylor, I don't think they make it out of training camp healthy. Would love to see the 9ers kinda wipe out the WR depth chart and start over with just Samuel and Sanders at the top then add maybe two or three through the draft like Arizona did.

Deebo Samuel
Emmanuel Sanders
Jalen Hurd
Trent Taylor
Ritchie James
Draft pick
Draft pick
Draft pick

I don't get this. I've all but given up on Pettis, but do I think a 6th round draft pick can outperform him? Not likely enough to justify giving up on him after 2 seasons. And then you have Bourne, who is literally the ideal WR4; he gets open, and he moves the chains. Is a decent RZ option, and fires up the team. He should cost pennies on the dollar. We don't have the draft capital to draft 3 WR, and if we aren't drafting a talent that either brings something different to the table (game breaking speed for example), or something the same but definitively better, we should not be wasting what limited capital we have on back of the roster WR gambles. Plus, yes, AZ drafted a ton of WR, but what production did they have to show for it? I agree that we can't count on Trent Taylor's health, but what reason do we have to believe that Hurd can't get healthy?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Quartney Davis is one I forgot to list. See this draft is so WR rich, would love to let Bourne go in free agency and trade Pettis for a 6th round pick. I really have doubts about Jalen Hurd and Trent Taylor, I don't think they make it out of training camp healthy. Would love to see the 9ers kinda wipe out the WR depth chart and start over with just Samuel and Sanders at the top then add maybe two or three through the draft like Arizona did.

Deebo Samuel
Emmanuel Sanders
Jalen Hurd
Trent Taylor
Ritchie James
Draft pick
Draft pick
Draft pick

I don't get this. I've all but given up on Pettis, but do I think a 6th round draft pick can outperform him? Not likely enough to justify giving up on him after 2 seasons. And then you have Bourne, who is literally the ideal WR4; he gets open, and he moves the chains. Is a decent RZ option, and fires up the team. He should cost pennies on the dollar. We don't have the draft capital to draft 3 WR, and if we aren't drafting a talent that either brings something different to the table (game breaking speed for example), or something the same but definitively better, we should not be wasting what limited capital we have on back of the roster WR gambles. Plus, yes, AZ drafted a ton of WR, but what production did they have to show for it? I agree that we can't count on Trent Taylor's health, but what reason do we have to believe that Hurd can't get healthy?

Pretty much going off of Shanahan's frustrations and the multiple articles of claiming Pettis is in Shanahan's dog house. I'm not saying , trade Pettis for a 6th round pick and draft a WR hoping he plays better than Pettis. But if anything that's already been proven with Ritchie James who was drafted in the 7th round. Bourne, I would love to see re-signed, but I wouldn't get into a bidding war for him and for all the positives that you see in him, so do the other 31 teams, no guarantee he re-signs with SF is what I'm saying.

As for Hurd, time and time again we heard he's coming back on this week or that week. I feel his back issue is pretty serious and I don't think the staff is confident in his health which is why I think he ended up on IR his rookie season. We shall see, but with the draft coming up if a WR is there that can contribute right away, you take him.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by kansasninerfan:
why? I'm not understanding the Bourne hate. Love to see him go? Struggling with that statement.

Bidding wars and inconsistency is what I'm getting at. With how WR rich this draft is, would love to see if they can upgrade from Bourne, Pettis and Taylor.
Originally posted by kansasninerfan:
why? I'm not understanding the Bourne hate. Love to see him go? Struggling with that statement.

Bidding wars and inconsistency is what I'm getting at. With how WR rich this draft is, would love to see if they can upgrade from Bourne, Pettis and Taylor.

Bourne is a RFA right? I doubt we need to worry about a bidding war with him.
I will be highly upset if we dont take a burner to make opposing defenses worry about the deep threat and back off. Im not asking to be a Bruce Arians chuck it deep all the time offense but I would like to see deep throws next year and the threat of having a deep passing game.
Going in the 1st

Lamb
Jeudy
Ruggs
Shenault
Higgins

2nd round

Reagor
Aiyuk
Jefferson
Hamler

3rd round

Mims
Johnson
Pittman
Hill

IMO this as of now is where I think these WRs go.
If we don't draft one early, picking up a guy like Claypool on day 3 would be nice.
WR1 for me is Henry Ruggs FWIW
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Same. Would be perfect for us and what we need. Shame he'll be long gone and we don't have the ammo to go get him.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Same. I think he's the 1st WR off the board

I keep thinking when working in my mock that we might not be able to draft a WR since we drafted 2 just last year. Usually you would want to spread out positions because we would have to sign 3 WRs in 2 years to keep them.

Anyone else think that we might shy away from another WR this year even though the class is stacked?
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I keep thinking when working in my mock that we might not be able to draft a WR since we drafted 2 just last year. Usually you would want to spread out positions because we would have to sign 3 WRs in 2 years to keep them.

Anyone else think that we might shy away from another WR this year even though the class is stacked?

Pettis had barely over 100 total yards and was inactive for the SB. Bourne had less than 400 yards last year. Hurd and Taylor had serious, season-ending injuries. We might not even be able to afford Sanders. I don't think there's any good reason not to take at least one receiver in this historically stacked draft.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 21, 2020 at 10:54 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Pettis had barely over 100 total yards and was inactive for the SB. Bourne had less than 400 yards last year. Hurd and Taylor had serious, season-ending injuries. We might not even be able to afford Sanders. I don't think there's any good reason not to take at least one receiver in this historically stacked draft.

I'm not saying we don't need one but because they would all be drafted a year apart wouldn't that mean either Deebo, Hurd, or pick in 2020 draft would not be signed long term?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I'm not saying we don't need one but because they would all be drafted a year apart wouldn't that mean either Deebo, Hurd, or pick in 2020 draft would not be signed long term?

I don't think that matters. If they play well, you extend them before then. Simply put, we don't have a ton of glaring needs. But WR is one.

Yes, because we have other needs, like O-line, CB, and Safety. With limited draft capital, we don't have much of a choice.
Share 49ersWebzone