There are 164 users in the forums

Brandon Aiyuk | ASU WR | 6-0, 203, 4.45

I'm early in my tape dive, but I'm seeing the same stuff as OTC so far. I don't see anything Deebo can't do.

What this team needs is a young Marquise Goodwin/Taylor Gabriel-type WR. Someone that can blow the roof off the defense and discourage defenses from or punish them for playing 8 in the box.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 18, 2020 at 11:53 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
I'm early in my tape dive, but I'm seeing the same stuff at OTC so far. I don't see anything Deebo can't do.

What this team needs is a young Marquise Goodwin/Taylor Gabriel-type WR. Someone that can blow the roof off the defense and punish them for playing 8 in the box.

Let's hope CHI ends up cutting Gabriel
Originally posted by Heroism:
I'm early in my tape dive, but I'm seeing the same stuff at OTC so far. I don't see anything Deebo can't do.

What this team needs is a young Marquise Goodwin/Taylor Gabriel-type WR. Someone that can blow the roof off the defense and discourage defenses from or punish them for playing 8 in the box.

If you believe some of the posts, that's what Hurd id supposed to do.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
If you believe some of the posts, that's what Hurd id supposed to do.

That's definitely not what Hurd does. Goodwin/Gabriel are legitimate 4.2 blazers on a football field
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I'm admittedly not a huge Aiyuk fan. Not that I think he's a bad player, I just don't think he brings us another dimension on offense with Deebo already here. Unlike Deebo, Aiyuk is not a contested catch monster. Would I be bothered that much if we took him? Well, no. I just have others I prefer at this point. Best case scenario for Aiyuk is probably being the next Stephon Diggs without the circus catch ability. As mentioned by SDN earlier in this thread though, the floor could be something like Quinton Patton.

PFF brought this up in their profile of him.

"Very inconsistent at the catch point. Caught only three of 14 contested targets in career"

They actually comped him to Cordarelle Patterson. Which I can see, BUT I feel like Aiyuk is a much better overall route-runner.

Yeah, that's my big concern. I really want guys who can dominate from snap to catch point. I felt like Hurd could've been that guy. We'll see, hopefully. I just feel like we need an answer when teams show the ability to neutralize an element we already have.

Match Samuel with size and physicality? How about you try and deal with a guy who can blow the roof off who's too quick to press at the line?

Match speed for speed? Let's throw in 6-4 or 6-5 contested catch monster who always wins jump balls with their superior catch radius and body control (badly hoping Hurd becomes this).

Thanks, Hero, for the affirmation. I just feel like this offense gets a whole lot better if we manage to get the 1) speed mismatch and 2) size mismatch added to the arsenal. Say Hurd blossoms and we get the next Tyreek Hill in this class... You will have a rough time playing 8 in the box if Jimmy can just chuck it up to either side of the field knowing both players are likely to make the play one on one. Samuel has not yet shown to be a deep threat, and Sanders isn't consistently that guy. Neither possesses a height/catch radius advantage. If we want to get BETTER, we need to look for elements we lack. Aiyuk doesn't do that for us, in my opinion. In the past, I feel like Shanahan has been keen on recognizing things like this in the effort to attack defenses in every way possible.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 18, 2020 at 11:44 AM ]
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I'm admittedly not a huge Aiyuk fan. Not that I think he's a bad player, I just don't think he brings us another dimension on offense with Deebo already here. Unlike Deebo, Aiyuk is not a contested catch monster. Would I be bothered that much if we took him? Well, no. I just have others I prefer at this point. Best case scenario for Aiyuk is probably being the next Stephon Diggs without the circus catch ability. As mentioned by SDN earlier in this thread though, the floor could be something like Quinton Patton.

PFF brought this up in their profile of him.

"Very inconsistent at the catch point. Caught only three of 14 contested targets in career"

They actually comped him to Cordarelle Patterson. Which I can see, BUT I feel like Aiyuk is a much better overall route-runner.

Also, it looks like Aiyuk's speed/quickness is more productive -- hence why he's the YAC god of this class.

According to Pro Football Focus, Aiyuk, one of the top senior receivers, led all players in the 2020 draft class with an average of 9.9 yards after the catch. A little over half of his total receiving production came after the catch.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/01/asu-wr-brandon-aiyuk-could-help-solve-packers-yac-problem/

I'm not questioning that, he's all about the YAC. I like him...I was just pointing out he's not a contested catching WR like OTC said.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 18, 2020 at 12:06 PM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
If you believe some of the posts, that's what Hurd id supposed to do.

Huh? Hurd isn't Goodwin/Gabriel at all. Who's saying that?
Maybe it's all the disney cartoons I've been watching with my niece but anyone else reading his last name like something Goofy would say?
Originally posted by genus49:
Maybe it's all the disney cartoons I've been watching with my niece but anyone else reading his last name like something Goofy would say?

LOL
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,476
Aiyuk at #13 in this mock. The third WR taken overall.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-mock-draft-dolphins-trade-up-to-no-2-to-select-tua-tagovailoa-redskins-get-big-haul-to-move-back/

  • okdkid
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,476
Oh my god
Originally posted by okdkid:
Oh my god

thought he would be taller/bigger. crazy wingspan though.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,476
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Oh my god

thought he would be taller/bigger. crazy wingspan though.

Don't need to be tall with that wingspan. Wow!
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Oh my god

thought he would be taller/bigger. crazy wingspan though.

Don't need to be tall with that wingspan. Wow!

yeah that's in the 90th percental.
Share 49erswebzone