LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 309 users in the forums

Michael Pittman Jr. WR USC

Originally posted by NYniner85:

This is really nice. When a dude that big stacks a DB, it's over as long as the QB throws even a moderately catchable ball. It's almost impossible for a DB to recover being stacked against a dude that big.
Originally posted by krizay:
with all the wrs in this draft how the f did you come up with him as your favorite? he's like going to a steak house and ordering a meatloaf.

Maybe the meatloaf is really cheap.
Originally posted by dhp318:
with all the wrs in this draft how the f did you come up with him as your favorite? he's like going to a steak house and ordering a meatloaf.

Maybe the meatloaf is really cheap.

I dunno, he is one of my favorites too.

Some guys fit in a generic way and you think they could make everything better. I don't think thats Pittman.

It think Pittman adds GOBS of threat at the goal line. I legit think he could end up a 40 to 50 catch 8 to 10 TD guy. If we end up with something else from 13, i hope we get a chance to take him somewhere later on.
The thing with the 2nd/3rd tier guys or wherever you rank them is how can you guarantee you get your preference?

Say the 49ers see Pittman as a quality WR and target him. Show of hands who is cool taking him with either first round draft pick?

So then say we're looking at trading down from either pick to acquire day 2 picks with the thought of drafting him there. LOTS of teams with WR needs after 13. What happens if he goes before our pick?

Obviously it's part of the draft process to make your board and drafted based on who you like but you have to also understand where everyone else has players. You don't want to draft a guy likely to go in the 5th round in the first round. But as you work further away from the top guys it's harder to get your favorites.

I guess what I'm saying is someone like Pittman is a tough player to fall in love with if you want him for us because it's so hard to predict where non 1st rounders will go. So unless you're ready to use that 31st pick on him then don't get too attached.

It's also why I like taking the WR at 13. IMO that's likely to be the BPA and you're getting likely the top guy on your board at the position so you get that playmaker and don't have to sweat it out moving forward if you're targeting one of the 2nd/3rd tier guys.
@Genus I was gonna say this as well
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
The thing with the 2nd/3rd tier guys or wherever you rank them is how can you guarantee you get your preference?

Say the 49ers see Pittman as a quality WR and target him. Show of hands who is cool taking him with either first round draft pick?

So then say we're looking at trading down from either pick to acquire day 2 picks with the thought of drafting him there. LOTS of teams with WR needs after 13. What happens if he goes before our pick?

Obviously it's part of the draft process to make your board and drafted based on who you like but you have to also understand where everyone else has players. You don't want to draft a guy likely to go in the 5th round in the first round. But as you work further away from the top guys it's harder to get your favorites.

I guess what I'm saying is someone like Pittman is a tough player to fall in love with if you want him for us because it's so hard to predict where non 1st rounders will go. So unless you're ready to use that 31st pick on him then don't get too attached.

It's also why I like taking the WR at 13. IMO that's likely to be the BPA and you're getting likely the top guy on your board at the position so you get that playmaker and don't have to sweat it out moving forward if you're targeting one of the 2nd/3rd tier guys.

The same is true for an offensive lineman or DB correct?
Same is true for any position and you hopefully aren't trading back with one target in mind, but can accept a tier of targets. For example if we did make some trades and got the 58th pick, and your first 2 picks address OL and CB, now you are looking at BPA of DT or WR. So hopefully Pittman would be there, but if not you might have Claypool in a similar tier, or Madubuike or one of the DT prospects. You have to have a few guys that you would be thrilled with before you make that trade back.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by scooterhd:
Same is true for any position and you hopefully aren't trading back with one target in mind, but can accept a tier of targets. For example if we did make some trades and got the 58th pick, and your first 2 picks address OL and CB, now you are looking at BPA of DT or WR. So hopefully Pittman would be there, but if not you might have Claypool in a similar tier, or Madubuike or one of the DT prospects. You have to have a few guys that you would be thrilled with before you make that trade back.

Or a Bowden/ Duvernay who too can "open up the offense" and be schemed into big plays. At a fraction of the cost.

I think so

It think most offensive linemen are cogs in a machine. You get one that does what your machine is suppose to do.

I think WRs are weapons or tools.

If the WR is a weapon, you draft early, if its a tool you find value.

If your Machine does not block for them, the weapons are not going to work right until it does.

I think that is why so many of us are split on the linemen. Last season Sucked in general ....really sucked when you consider it was a Super Bowl season.

No fan wants to live though that offensive line again.

I know thats why i am torn, we prob are not getting the 13th pick again any time soon. A Franchise LT makes ALOT of sense at 13th. We might not get a shot a player like that again for years ( i hope)

Same could be said for CB or WR or DT. We do have other players on paper that can play DT and maybe even tackle, but i don't think anyone is arguing what we have will match the OT we might be able to get at 13.
I actually like Pittman too! I would rather trade down and take him because he will effect the game on more plays and earlier on things like blocking down field and special teams than a lot of these sauced up receivers right now.

Say no to Shanault!
Say no to CeeDee Lamb!

Not talking trash, not saying they won't develop and be good. But don't do it at 13!!

Yes and if they have a WR rated higher than a OT/CB at 13, draft him.
  • All22
  • Veteran

The problem with WR at #13 is no one would be surprised if the Day 2 guys like Mihms, Higgins, Claypool etc are just as good at the NFL level. There's just not THAT big of a gap.

However, the gap between the OL, DB, and DL at #13 vs later is huge.
Pittman feels like a Green Bay WR.
Originally posted by All22:
The problem with WR at #13 is no one would be surprised if the Day 2 guys like Mihms, Higgins, Claypool etc are just as good at the NFL level. There's just not THAT big of a gap.

However, the gap between the OL, DB, and DL at #13 vs later is huge.

Mims/Higgins/claypool aren't on the same level...there is a sizable gap imo. Also SF doesn't have a day 2 pick at this pt and we have no idea if they can just maneuver to get that second tier WR.
How big is the gap between Pittman and Isaiah Hodgins?
Share 49ersWebzone