There are 197 users in the forums

Phoenix's prospects to watch:2020 edition.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
This next draft I would like to go O-line in the 1st and 3rd. Yes, it's not sexy, but Jimmy G. is so lets beef up the O-line to protect him!!!

Not sure where these two are projected but would love:

Jon Runyan 6'4" 310 - OG - Michigan

Ezra Cleveland 6'5" 310 - OT - Boise St.

Can Runyan cover as center?
Originally posted by Heroism:
I can't see the Niners drafting another WR early. They've invested three day-two picks at WR in the last two draft. Those guys need to be developed. And if they aren't developing, someone's head needs to roll. Throwing draft picks at WR is what bad teams do, and I can't see Kyle doing that.

Furthermore, there are more pressing needs at positions of more importance like CB, OL and EDGE. There's a chance half the DL walks in the offseason, and with Dee Ford's long-term health not looking good, Niners may need to use their day two pick on an edge. I haven't perused through this edge class, but someone like Chase Winovich would've been perfect.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Heroism:
I can't see the Niners drafting another WR early. They've invested three day-two picks at WR in the last two draft. Those guys need to be developed. And if they aren't developing, someone's head needs to roll. Throwing draft picks at WR is what bad teams do, and I can't see Kyle doing that.

Furthermore, there are more pressing needs at positions of more importance like CB, OL and EDGE. There's a chance half the DL walks in the offseason, and with Dee Ford's long-term health not looking good, Niners may need to use their day two pick on an edge. I haven't perused through this edge class, but someone like Chase Winovich would've been perfect.

Agreed. They already have 6 high quality WRs (Goodwin, Taylor, Deebo, Hurd, Pettis and James) under contract next year, with those last 4 being 24 years old or younger. Though anything is possible, it's more likely (like you said), that they invest more time in developing this group as opposed to adding another top pick.

I'll be honest, I'm okay if the 49ers pass on drafting a receiver at all in 2020. Especially if we go through 2019 with all 6 guys still on the roster (no trades). I can see an UDFA being brought in to compete, but that's about it. Save the picks for O-line, DB, D-line (still could use another edge guy for depth), and LB (depth).

This next draft I would like to go O-line in the 1st and 3rd. Yes, it's not sexy, but Jimmy G. is so lets beef up the O-line to protect him!!!

I would too. And it would be super great if because of our quality O-line, we could do more longer developing pass plays and vertical routes.
Originally posted by English:

Their center Cesar Ruiz is quite good.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by English:

Haven't seen him there, I'm also not sure to be honest. Played LT in 2018, but I think he'll be moved to Guard at the next level. I think he would get burned by speed rusher in the NFL.
The first need the Niners have is for a reliable, consistent WR. The OL is improved. Skule is capable as a swing tackle. Defense is set. Pettis, Goodwin, Samuel, and Bourne have been mediocre at best. Based on this season so far, ShanaLynch goes WR in first round in 2020 draft. Tee Higgins could be the guy. 6-4, great hands, catches contested passes, large catch-radius, powerful runner after the catch.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
The first need the Niners have is for a reliable, consistent WR. The OL is improved. Skule is capable as a swing tackle. Defense is set. Pettis, Goodwin, Samuel, and Bourne have been mediocre at best. Based on this season so far, ShanaLynch goes WR in first round in 2020 draft. Tee Higgins could be the guy. 6-4, great hands, catches contested passes, large catch-radius, powerful runner after the catch.

Not sure if he's gonna be there at 32

I'm a fan of Henry Ruggs III....dude is fast as f**k and a great route runner. A lot of good WRs in this class
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

I'm a fan of Henry Ruggs III....dude is fast as f**k and a great route runner. A lot of good WRs in this class

I might be nuts for saying this, but I'd hold off on drafting another receiver. Especially with a high pick. It is a definite need and it's clear the receiver position has held us back as an offense, much more than offensive line in my opinion, surprisingly. But I'm willing to let this play out longer before I declare we absolutely need an upgrade at that position. In a perfect world, I'd like for us to not draft a receiver at all in 2020 and just go with the best 6 guys (we'd still end up letting someone walk). I think improvement over the next few games, the playoff push if we are still in the mix, and actual performance in any playoff run will be the three things to watch. Again, I'm willing to let this play out longer. If it's still the receivers that are holding the offense back, then draft away.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Like Hero and others said, I don't expect them to go WR early again. I think edge rusher, OT and S will be more pressing needs. They already have a bunch of young receivers in various stages of development and will also have Hurd returning.

-Edge rusher because Ford's knee is a ticking time bomb and we've see early on what a tremendous advantage it is to be able to rush four and pressure the QB consistently. If Ford is unable to go or struggles, that greatly reduces the potency of the pass rush.

You look at a team like Atlanta and they have Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley and so what? They suck upfront on both sides of the ball and are a lousy team as a result.

I think it is absolutely crucial for them to maintain their advantage upfront, especially in an offseason where both Armstead and Blair could be walking.

-OT, its going to be crucial to nail down a successor to Staley. While Skule has looked fine, they need to be really convinced of his long term viability as a starter to look past one of the most talent laden tackle classes in recent memory.

-Safety. At free safety they have Ward and Moore. One is heavily injury prone, the other remains unproven and has a significant developing to do. This is a position that could badly use a legit long tern upgrade.
I agree with Phoenix. This off-season should be less about who is missing, and more about who is leaving. Keep an eye on Xavier KcKinney, Javon Kinlaw, and Alex Leatherwood.
CeeDee Lamb looking awfully good today

Share 49ersWebzone