There are 123 users in the forums

MadDog49er 2019 NFLDraft Niners Review

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Personally,

I know Nick " The Baby Face Assassin " Bosa was the most popular choice and I've already shared my NO TO BO with everyone here... I do wish that he'll prove me wrong.

Then, I thought that an OL with the 2nd round would have been a better pick over Deebo " Tazmanian Devil " Samuel because Staley (IMO) is on the same boat as Eli Manning and I just wanna make sure that Jimmy The Gift can be protected.

The choice of Jalen " The Towering Inferno " Hurd was acceptable to me, just because I think that he is a 3rd rounder and will help the WR crew that we have because of his size and his ability to run like a RB (he once was of course). Plus, this pick simply because of the idea of using him in the REDZONE.

Aside from the " Polish Power " punter, I really think that we didn't draft any player w/a plan.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Couple notes: I think we needed both FS and SS replacements. Tartt has been injured in back to back years. Hooker can play in multiple positions, including the slot. Super versatile chess piece on defense.

As for Brown's productivity from the outside, he was moved into that role after Metcalf was injured and actually had better stats (if you look at the back end of the schedule). The versatility is attractive to me.

I'm actually really bummed about the Deebo pick. Brown had 2 consecutive years of 1,300 yards receiving. Deebo hasn't cracked 1,000 once in his career.

Just Shanahan falling in love with his guy.
Originally posted by Scottie15:
Couple notes: I think we needed both FS and SS replacements. Tartt has been injured in back to back years. Hooker can play in multiple positions, including the slot. Super versatile chess piece on defense.

As for Brown's productivity from the outside, he was moved into that role after Metcalf was injured and actually had better stats (if you look at the back end of the schedule). The versatility is attractive to me.

I'm actually really bummed about the Deebo pick. Brown had 2 consecutive years of 1,300 yards receiving. Deebo hasn't cracked 1,000 once in his career.

Just Shanahan falling in love with his guy.

You act like many other teams didn't pass on Brown too. He went like 15 picks after us in the 2nd.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by All22:
Thanks for the kind comments. Overdrafted is somewhat subjective because the "overdrafting" really begins two selections after your pick. Unless the team directly after you was salivating at the prospect of having your pick, you technically have overdrafted (which happens in 99.9% of all cases once you go past the first round). Is a player taken 30 picks after your selection overdrafting? I will let others interpret what qualifies for that term. I think if you have a player stamped as a first round pick and they fall to the third round, I see that as value, even if they get selected a round later. That was my case with Butler. I had Williams with a third round grade (he was my RB1 from this class), so to select him in the 5th, even though he went in the 6th, is good value. No shame in having your 6th rounder go undrafted. From the back end of the draft, teams select all kinds of developmental guys, special teamers, guys that fit their unique scheme. There are a lot of guys selected by their teams that would have gone undrafted if not picked by that one team.

There have been players that I picked in my draft that were selected one pick after the Niners' selection, but that simply does not happen very often.

I don't think that way of thinking is useful for anything but comparing drafts across teams. And to do that you have to minimize all the idiosyncrasies of the team (depth chart, scheme fit, how he complements the rest of the roster etc)

Selecting a 3rd round guy in the 5th who does not fit your scheme and who will be at best 4th string is horrible value. In fact, it's a total wasted pick.

Picking a 5th round guy in the 3rd who your coach absolutely salivates over how he's a chess piece that's going to wreck other team's game plans is ultimate value.

That is if he is a 4th string. If he is a second stringer next year because they release McKinnon and Coleman, then a stud back in the 5th is great value. Not every pick is going to player right away especially if you are a Day Three selection.

As stated previously, I don't see how Williams isn't a fit in our scheme. He runs, catches, blocks. Is there some other part of the game that I am missing?
Who would the Niners cut THIS year that would even get Williams a roster spot? I cant see them releasing McKinnon, Coleman, Breida, or Mostert. Then consider that Hurd can be their short yardage back at his size. I agree that Williams would have been a terrible pick given the makeup of the Niners roster.

+1
Even if you did cut someone, Williams is, at best, a slight upgrade as a runner and a huge downgrade as a pass catcher.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nahumse:
We should of addressed linebacker we have kwon and warner and nothing else behind them.

We drafted a guy in the 5th and still have Elijah Lee and Smith. That's decent enough for backups.

This draft was also really weak for linebackers. Outside of the first round there wasn't much talent there.
Since all fans obviously know more than NFL front office and scouts, we should petition to have the draft run like American Idol. This way fans have the teams 15 minutes on the clock to call/text in and vote to make their teams draft selection.
Solved
(Not a knock on MadDogs review at all, I look forward to his stuff)
[ Edited by Sourball on May 2, 2019 at 7:19 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Man, looking back at MD's previous drafts and majority of the teams missing on majority of the players, I think the top requirement in the formula of drafting should be the desire of the player. Yes, talent is always needed to win championships but I think teams can get more hits than misses in the draft if they value desire first.

Players who love the game make up a HUGE part of my final draft grade. Captains also help in the equation. Are guys hungry to be great?

Yeah. Even if those players don't become probowlers, they last longer in the league and provide very solid depth. I would rather go this route and fill in a handful of legit players via free agency.
If you read thru all the comments about who we drafted, who we should have drafted, when we drafted this guy or whether we reached too much it should be obvious how hard it is to draft. We all do this for fun because we're fans but the GM and coach have their jobs on the line. They probably have the same conversations in that draft room but they only get one choice and they have to live with it. They can't spend the next few months debating whether they picked the right guy at #3 or whether they could have waited until the 4th. Instead they immediately have to start plugging them into their lineups and coaching them up. If only they had the luxury of re-evaluating after a few practices and getting a do over like fantasy football.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on May 2, 2019 at 8:51 AM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
If you read thru all the comments about who we drafted, who we should have drafted, when we drafted this guy or whether we reached too much it should be obvious how hard it is to draft. We all do this for fun because we're fans but the GM and coach have their jobs on the line. They probably have the same conversations in that draft room but they only get one choice and they have to live with it. They can't spend the next few months debating whether they picked the right guy at #3 or whether they could have waited until the 4th. Instead they immediately have to start plugging them into their lineups and coaching them up. If only they had the luxury of re-evaluating after a few practices and getting a do over like fantasy football.

Yeah but they get to spend some good time with some of these players.

Which is why I usually trust their judgement more than mine or anyone else on this forum. Not saying they always get it right because they don't but they do have more info on them than we do. When they miss it's easy for us to jump on them for a bad choice but we all know there is no correct choice until the player proves that he can play. I like to see 2 or 3 years before making judgement whether the first year is good or bad since we see first year guys struggle and then become good players and good players regress.

Originally posted by TheXFactor:
You act like many other teams didn't pass on Brown too. He went like 15 picks after us in the 2nd.

Many other teams may not have needed a wide receiver. Fact is, only 2 other receivers were taken ahead of Deebo, when most projections had Deebo somewhere near #7 ranked.

And you completely missed the point. AJ Brown was a much more productive receiver in college than Deebo was. And it's not even close.
Originally posted by Sourball:
Since all fans obviously know more than NFL front office and scouts, we should petition to have the draft run like American Idol. This way fans have the teams 15 minutes on the clock to call/text in and vote to make their teams draft selection.
Solved

I had about as much NFL front office experience as Lynch when he got hired

This is a discussion forum. People are allowed to have discussions regarding these topics. Besides, there's a reason most analysts, scouts, etc. had these players ranked and projected where they were. These weren't just subjective lists put together with no logic behind them.
Solved

This is a discussion forum. People are allowed to have discussions regarding these topics. Besides, there's a reason most analysts, scouts, etc. had these players ranked and projected where they were. These weren't just subjective lists put together with no logic behind them.

How many NFL execs, coaches and scouts did you know? Phone numbers?
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
Solved

How many NFL execs, coaches and scouts did you know? Phone numbers?

And what does that have to do with anything? Knowing coaches and scouts proves what? How do you explain moving up in the 3rd round for Beathard? Taking Joe Williams in the 4th round? Moving up in the 1st for Foster?

Again, the point is that Lynch was inexperienced when he came into this role, and it showed. That's fine. You learn from that stuff. The second point, is that this is a discussion forum. Some agree with the FO, some don't. As long as they provide a strong argument behind their point of view, I don't understand why posters should be criticized.

Fair point.
Scouts and coaches watch the same tape fans watch, so the production (or lack thereof) is transparent.
But, they do get some more face time with the players and have more control over how they are used.
Share 49erswebzone