LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 317 users in the forums

MadDog49er Draft Primer and Best Board- Top 50 Players April 24 Edition

I like the fact that MadDog often includes the words 'in my opinion' when he posts. He acknowledges that no matter how much he has researched these guys it is still his opinion. Nobody knows when guys will be selected or how good they will be in 2 or 3 years.
Originally posted by zonkers:
MD - Fredrick Jones (DT, FSU) kind of caught my eye when I was watching Burns. Do you see him as a UDFA? (I think he's draft eligible - was part of the Tropicana Bowl.)

Also, regarding DBs, do you think David Long and Marvell Tell can stick outside at the next level?

I see Jones as an UDFA that might get picked up late on Day Three. Limited productivity and athletically, but maybe some time on the practice squad can help him develop.

I love Long's athleticism and he looked tremendous in the field drills at the combine. He had a really solid year for Michigan. He has a bad habit of staring into the backfield. When he does this, he gets burnt deep (at least twice vs, OSU). Probably can be corrected. To me, he is value from the 4th round on.

Tell is really athletic as well. I am not sure where he projects best at the next level, but I'll say as a SS. I think he is more dynamic closer to the LOS than in the single-high position. That is where I would play him. I think he is better athlete than football player. I have him a bit down my safety board as fifth round value, and he will be long gone before then.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 16, 2019 at 8:06 PM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I like the fact that MadDog often includes the words 'in my opinion' when he posts. He acknowledges that no matter how much he has researched these guys it is still his opinion. Nobody knows when guys will be selected or how good they will be in 2 or 3 years.

The draft is witchcraft...good luck figuring it out. That is why all GMs eventually get fired. The best you can do is put in the time, try to beat the curve, and cross your fingers. It is a humbling experience each year because everyone is going to be wrong more often than right.
[ Edited by Ninerswin on Apr 16, 2019 at 8:59 PM ]
What stands out on your board to me is Hakeem Butler (Danario Alexander)so high.
[ Edited by Ninerswin on Apr 16, 2019 at 8:58 PM ]
MadDog I'm not sure if you've answered this question already, but any thoughts on TE Dawson Knox? He seems like he could develop into a solid late round player. He moves really well, even though he didn't get to shine at Ole Miss.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Originally posted by cortana49:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by njninersfan420:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by theRealness:
No Metcalf? Laughable. Clearly your 'grading' is flawed. AJ Brown is a slot guy who only produced against lesser competition. If you ever watched them you would know that. Lodge could end up being better than AJ Brown

Thank you for the compliment. Please check the bolded, underline sections that I will detonate below in 5,4,3,2,1.......

AJ Brown was primary a slot receiver for the first 6 games of 2018. At the same time, Metcalf played on the edge. The teams they played are below and Brown's slot yards in each game:
1. Texas Tech- 93 yards
2. Southern Illinois- 158 yards
3. Alabama- 34 yards
4. Kent State- 96 yards
5. LSU- 72 yards
6. Louisiana Monroe-133 yards

If you want to consider that a juggernaut of defenses, that is up to you. I would disagree. Average yards per game: 586/6= 97 yards/game

Brown replaced Metcalf in the Arkansas game on 10/13. Let's wash that game as both played on the edge.

The final five games, Brown took Metcalf's place as the left-side wide receiver. Here were the final five games:
1. Auburn- 155 yards
2. South Carolina- 115 yards
3. Texas A&M- 127 yards
4. Vanderbilt- 212 yards
5. Mississippi State- 61 yards

I would consider the bottom five teams better than the top 6 teams, but if you think Texas Tech, Kent St., Southern Illinois and Louisiana Monroe better than SEC schools (lesser competition), than that is up to you. I would disagree.

Final five game stats- 670 yards/5 games= 134 yards per game.

Last time I checked my math...134 yards per game>97 yards per game. But, I could be wrong. I don't teach math.

If you want to debate whether Metcalf is better than Brown, that is fine. But, if you are going to call my views "laughable", then you've got to bring some that demonstrates it. Brown showed to be more than "a slot guy", and he "produced against lesser competition", and then produced under better competition.

"if you ever watched them"- Really?

Raise your game if you are going to challenge the Dog. Come on, man. You've got to do better if you are going to insult me.

My only question now is what do we do with the ashes?

I got a bit grumpy. After all, I am the MadDog. "if you ever watched them"....haha.

Originally posted by nahumse:
Bosa and Hakeem I have my fingers crossed good stuff MD. Your are the man!

Bosa and Butler, Bosa and Brown. That would be a great start to this draft.

THIS. My heart is set on Bosa and then either Butler Brown or even Samuel. Butler's hands concern me but if he can work on em he's the best of the bunch from what I've seen.

N'Keal Harry looks SLOW on film to me, especially starting and stopping; doesn't seem like his game could translate as much at the NFL level.

Would you agree with this Mad Dog?
Originally posted by Nastastical:
MadDog I'm not sure if you've answered this question already, but any thoughts on TE Dawson Knox? He seems like he could develop into a solid late round player. He moves really well, even though he didn't get to shine at Ole Miss.

Pretty sure I heard Matt Miller saying he's a 3-4 round guy.
Originally posted by illinois9er:

Pretty sure I heard Matt Miller saying he's a 3-4 round guy.

You'd have to be a total idiot to select Knox in the 3rd-4th round based solely off his athletic testing because he basically has no real college production to speak of. Dumb GM's do this all the time, so it wouldn't surprise me, but he's the type you take a chance on in the 6th round, not earlier.

Here I was thinking of grabbing him late and possibly using him behind Celek for a season or possibly even stashing him on the practice squad or IR for a year to sit and learn.

The draft is witchcraft...good luck figuring it out. That is why all GMs eventually get fired. The best you can do is put in the time, try to beat the curve, and cross your fingers. It is a humbling experience each year because everyone is going to be wrong more often than right.

I promise not to point fingers at you if you were wrong. As you pointed out even the best GM's eventually get fired. Balke was GM of the year and look how he ended up.

I promise not to point fingers at you if you were wrong. As you pointed out even the best GM's eventually get fired. Balke was GM of the year and look how he ended up.

That's what happens when you get awarded GM of the year then turn around and draft AJ Jenkins, Lamichael James, Joe Looney, Darius Fleming, Trent Robinson, Jason Slowey and Cam Johnson in 2012. The roster fell apart and the draftees were garbage.

Super athlete, but simply showed almost no productivity in college. Scares me that he hasn't scored a touchdown since college. Can't pass protect at all. In one game alone game up three sacks. I am simply not that high on him until much later than he will be drafted. Tough for me to be excited about projection players versus guys who did produce. I know Ole Miss needed to spread the ball around. He just simply has not had the opportunity to show what he can do.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by cortana49:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by njninersfan420:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by theRealness:
No Metcalf? Laughable. Clearly your 'grading' is flawed. AJ Brown is a slot guy who only produced against lesser competition. If you ever watched them you would know that. Lodge could end up being better than AJ Brown

Thank you for the compliment. Please check the bolded, underline sections that I will detonate below in 5,4,3,2,1.......

AJ Brown was primary a slot receiver for the first 6 games of 2018. At the same time, Metcalf played on the edge. The teams they played are below and Brown's slot yards in each game:
1. Texas Tech- 93 yards
2. Southern Illinois- 158 yards
3. Alabama- 34 yards
4. Kent State- 96 yards
5. LSU- 72 yards
6. Louisiana Monroe-133 yards

If you want to consider that a juggernaut of defenses, that is up to you. I would disagree. Average yards per game: 586/6= 97 yards/game

Brown replaced Metcalf in the Arkansas game on 10/13. Let's wash that game as both played on the edge.

The final five games, Brown took Metcalf's place as the left-side wide receiver. Here were the final five games:
1. Auburn- 155 yards
2. South Carolina- 115 yards
3. Texas A&M- 127 yards
4. Vanderbilt- 212 yards
5. Mississippi State- 61 yards

I would consider the bottom five teams better than the top 6 teams, but if you think Texas Tech, Kent St., Southern Illinois and Louisiana Monroe better than SEC schools (lesser competition), than that is up to you. I would disagree.

Final five game stats- 670 yards/5 games= 134 yards per game.

Last time I checked my math...134 yards per game>97 yards per game. But, I could be wrong. I don't teach math.

If you want to debate whether Metcalf is better than Brown, that is fine. But, if you are going to call my views "laughable", then you've got to bring some that demonstrates it. Brown showed to be more than "a slot guy", and he "produced against lesser competition", and then produced under better competition.

"if you ever watched them"- Really?

Raise your game if you are going to challenge the Dog. Come on, man. You've got to do better if you are going to insult me.

My only question now is what do we do with the ashes?

I got a bit grumpy. After all, I am the MadDog. "if you ever watched them"....haha.

Originally posted by nahumse:
Bosa and Hakeem I have my fingers crossed good stuff MD. Your are the man!

Bosa and Butler, Bosa and Brown. That would be a great start to this draft.

THIS. My heart is set on Bosa and then either Butler Brown or even Samuel. Butler's hands concern me but if he can work on em he's the best of the bunch from what I've seen.

N'Keal Harry looks SLOW on film to me, especially starting and stopping; doesn't seem like his game could translate as much at the NFL level.

Would you agree with this Mad Dog?

Harry does not have the same field speed as Butler, but is a solid route runner, and has good hands. There is a lot to like there. Just not as dynamic at Butler or Brown, who is so versatile.

All of my four top WRs are guys that can line up anywhere at WR. AJ Brown, Butler, Isabella, M. Brown can play inside or outside.

Oh, I have been wrong a LOT. At the same time, I have been right a LOT. I loved LVE last year, way higher than most, and he was awesome. Got to stick to your guns, even if you are in the vast minority. Ignore the buzz, watch games. That will get you a solid roster.

Super athlete, but simply showed almost no productivity in college. Scares me that he hasn't scored a touchdown since college. Can't pass protect at all. In one game alone game up three sacks. I am simply not that high on him until much later than he will be drafted. Tough for me to be excited about projection players versus guys who did produce. I know Ole Miss needed to spread the ball around. He just simply has not had the opportunity to show what he can do.

Thank you for responding. I figured you wouldn't be high on him because the only thing he offers right now is being a great athlete. Hopefully we can grab him in the 7th and mold him into a legit TE in a couple years. Someone will probably select him much earlier though because teams love great athletes.
Share 49ersWebzone