Dee Ford signed as a D-Lineman/LEO,,(so where would/could Bosa go ??)

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Thanks, this is
Thanks, this is awesome. If I'm understanding, there is the base alignment that we play 30% of the time where the LEO (Ford) rushes the passer, there's a DT (Buck) and NT (Williams, if we go that route) who primarily play the run and can also rush, and the big DE (ST/AA). This DE is more of a 34 DE, so both AA and ST fit will. The SAM is primarily tasked with playing the run and covering the TE. Can also blitz, if they have that skill set. 70% of the time we play in our sub-package, with 3DBs, 2 safeties and 4 linemen. All of these guys need to rush the passer. Ford and Buck stay, and if we do go with Williams, he would stay too, and if we don't, this is a good opportunity for ST to rush from the inside. The other DE needs to also be a pure pass rusher, and seems like we still lack that. If we go with Bosa, he fills that role.

So it looks like if we go with Bosa:

Base D (30% of snaps): Ford-Buck-Jones-Bosa. There's no room for AA or ST, even though either can take Bosa's spot. But either can also take Ford's spot, to focus on the run.

Sub (70%): Ford-Buck-ST-Bosa. In this scenario there's a clear plan for ST in a position of strength and AA can take that spot too. That's a great line across the board.

If we draft Williams

Base: Ford-Buck-Williams-AA. This is a pretty amazing base D, and in cases where we want to focus on the run, ST can take Ford's spot.

Sub: Ford-Buck-Williams-AA. In this case AA is one of our edge rushers, which isn't ideal, and there's no room for ST to play inside, where he actually plays well.

I want QW over Bosa, but it doesn't make sense for our roster, if we want to utilize SM and AA, and have the best sub package. On the flip-side, is QW too good to pass up on, because of ST?

See we have good depth and young talent at DT we still need another edge rusher end of the day. Not a better one in the draft then Bosa.

I also don't see Ford as a base LEO. In sub absolutely...IMO when Lynch said he's a LEO he was referring to where he will lineup most this yr and that makes sense if we're spending 70% of the snaps out of sub.

FWIW our SAM actually goes to DL meetings not LBer.

Base: 30%

LEO-Thomas/Bosa
NT-Jones/AA
DT-Buck
BE-Bosa/Thomas
SAM-Ford

Sub:70%

LEO-Ford/Bosa
DT-Buck/AA
DT-Thomas/Streets
DE-Bosa

Not rocket science to find a spot for a top talent like Bosa
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 15, 2019 at 12:56 PM ]
Free my man Kentavius Street #NotADT
Originally posted by Heroism:

I'm with you, Kyle and Saleh said he would kick inside though.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
I'm with you, Kyle and Saleh said he would kick inside though.

Just going off of what Shanny said
How could general manager John Lynch and head coach Kyle Shanahan pass on the complete package of a prospect in Bosa? Well, they might even have a reasonable reason once you dive into the finer details.
The acquisition of Dee Ford would undoubtedly be a very big part of why. It's not just that the 49ers added one of the best edge rushers in the league. It's how they plan to utilize him. Ford played as a linebacker for the Kansas City Chiefs. He was the wide-9 rusher, which made him a linebacker in the 3-4 defensive system the Chiefs employed.
The 49ers don't run a 3-4 scheme but rather a 4-3. Upon the completion of the trade, many wondered if the 49ers would play Ford in the SAM linebacker position in their defense. This will not be the case. When asked if Ford will be a defensive end, Lynch was succinct in his answer.
"We do," Lynch said at the press conference introducing Ford and Kwon Alexander last week. "That's what we see him as ... he fits the LEO mold perfectly."
This decision has a domino affect on the rest of the defensive line. With the LEO position taken, the 49ers must decide who will serve as the team's other defensive end as well as find a linebacker for the SAM position. If the 49ers draft Bosa, he would fill the "big end" spot as the team's other starting defensive end.
That would create a potential playing time problem for the 49ers incumbent defensive ends. There are four starting defensive line positions. DeForest Buckner will be taking one of the defensive tackle spots and Ford will be taking the LEO defensive end position. Two spots left with Arik Armstead, Solomon Thomas and potentially Bosa still unaccounted for. Someone would be the odd man out.

*******Looks like I'm not the ONLY one with this question/concern. They more than summarized my contention, and Walters Football credibility has inadvertently been vindicated.
So, an article written by some nobody vindicates the worst draft website out there? Ok, yah.
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
How could general manager John Lynch and head coach Kyle Shanahan pass on the complete package of a prospect in Bosa? Well, they might even have a reasonable reason once you dive into the finer details.
The acquisition of Dee Ford would undoubtedly be a very big part of why. It's not just that the 49ers added one of the best edge rushers in the league. It's how they plan to utilize him. Ford played as a linebacker for the Kansas City Chiefs. He was the wide-9 rusher, which made him a linebacker in the 3-4 defensive system the Chiefs employed.
The 49ers don't run a 3-4 scheme but rather a 4-3. Upon the completion of the trade, many wondered if the 49ers would play Ford in the SAM linebacker position in their defense. This will not be the case. When asked if Ford will be a defensive end, Lynch was succinct in his answer.
"We do," Lynch said at the press conference introducing Ford and Kwon Alexander last week. "That's what we see him as ... he fits the LEO mold perfectly."
This decision has a domino affect on the rest of the defensive line. With the LEO position taken, the 49ers must decide who will serve as the team's other defensive end as well as find a linebacker for the SAM position. If the 49ers draft Bosa, he would fill the "big end" spot as the team's other starting defensive end.
That would create a potential playing time problem for the 49ers incumbent defensive ends. There are four starting defensive line positions. DeForest Buckner will be taking one of the defensive tackle spots and Ford will be taking the LEO defensive end position. Two spots left with Arik Armstead, Solomon Thomas and potentially Bosa still unaccounted for. Someone would be the odd man out.

*******Looks like I'm not the ONLY one with this question/concern. They more than summarized my contention, and Walters Football credibility has inadvertently been vindicated.

You don't pass up on a talent like Bosa because of Solomon Freaking Thomas. Listen I am not as down on Thomas as some, but he hasn't been performing up to his draft stock. Passing on Bosa for some last ditch attempt to salvage Thomas is the definition of continuing to make a mistake simply because you have taken a long time making it. Trade Thomas or use him for depth all along the line...
I'm perfectly fine with Bosa playding defensive end full time in base, and ford on the opposite end. I'm fine with ford sitting out of obvious run situations. Bosa would not. Im confident in Bosa against the run. Ford not as much and I want to keep him healthy. Plus well be in sub packages most of the time in our division with the Cardinals offensive conversion to a pass happy spread alpng with the rams who have excellent balance, and the seacocks. We need two quality pass rushers, and Bosa or Allen could be an excellent insurance policy for Ford, and if ford doesnt work out, at least we have a back up plan
Originally posted by kem99:
Don't you want two good Edge pass rushers? One coming from both sides? The Broncos have Miller and Chubb. The Seahawks had at diffreent points a combo of Avril, Bennett and Clark. You're going to be in nickel or dime at least 2/3 of the time and from what we've heard the 49ers are going to more of a Wide 9 approach and wanting their Edge and interior linemen to get up field to get to the QB and then adjust if its a running play. That sounds like a team wanting two edge rushers and not worrying too much about who is the "Big End" and who is the LEO.

If you too caught up in assigning positions, then who do you take? Josh Allen? Nope. He would play SAM which is taken off the field most of the time for nickel/dime. On passing downs, he would go to one edge with Ford on the other, just as you would do with Bosa. Q. Williams? Well, there's a whole other issue about whether he's redundant or not with what they have. Burns? He's more of an Edge like Ford and you'd have the same problem. There really isn't a CB or Safety you'd want to take at #2. I don't think you could justify going offense with Metcalf at #2 either. Ultimately, the 49ers need to take the best player. Most believe the top 2 are Bosa and Williams. If the Cardinals pick one, the 49ers pick the other. If both are there at #2, the 49ers get their pick unless a very attractive trade down presents itself. They shouldn't over think it.

I'd love to have 2 edge rushers coming from OPPOSITE sides, problem is- Bosa and Ford both play on THE SAME SIDE.. Seattle had a bevy of players, so they could rotate many diff. combinations. They didn't sign a RDE for $87M then draft a guy and had them split snaps. They didn't resign AA to play LDE, and then draft a Bosa type player and put him on left side. I can roll with your assessment IF Bosa was a LDE, but he's not. Also, I remember Seattle SAM LBers having der helmets up our QB's arse many a time (Bruce Irvin and Barkevious Mingo of lately), and we send our Sam LB'ers on blitzes too (Watson, Marsh), so Allen could be used in same way..

So you feel Allen and Ford is less redundant than Bosa and Ford? Does anyone actually question Bosas run defense or ability to hold the pointof attack? Maybe I missed something. Been a couple months since I really watched anything from him

Originally posted by Ice49er:
Trade down.
Plenty of Pass Rusher and WRs to draft in the 1st round.
I'm praying Bosa goes to Arizona and 49ers can sell the 2nd pick to the highest bidder

I agree. Best case scenario is cardinals take QWill and we trade down with raiders or giants and still Land Bosa, Allen, or my darkhorse favorite, Greedy Williams
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Just going off of what Shanny said

Agenda pusher!!
Redactef
[ Edited by NTeply49 on Mar 19, 2019 at 3:36 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
So, an article written by some nobody vindicates the worst draft website out there? Ok, yah.

this article was taken off THIS WEBSITE, OUT THE WEBZONE.....
OK YAH,,
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

You don't pass up on a talent like Bosa because of Solomon Freaking Thomas. Listen I am not as down on Thomas as some, but he hasn't been performing up to his draft stock. Passing on Bosa for some last ditch attempt to salvage Thomas is the definition of continuing to make a mistake simply because you have taken a long time making it. Trade Thomas or use him for depth all along the line...

Its not me saying it, I got this off the webzone earlier today. Not from a 3rd party site, off here bro. I see what youre saying, but I'm reading what people closer to the situation are saying..
Share 49erswebzone