LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

this is why we took Ford, and now may NOT get Bosa

Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Wait, Marsh was an edge rusher? Lol

I think Williams we be considered if Bosa is gone and they have no viable offer to trade down. Otherwise I agree lol

I know right...Marsh had the most edge rush snaps for us this past yr that's how bad we were
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 15, 2019 at 7:09 PM ]

I think Williams we be considered if Bosa is gone and they have no viable offer to trade down. Otherwise I agree lol

dont trade out of the big three
Originally posted by GORO:
I never considered Williams to be the pick. But with Ford on the roster the 49ers have to consider him. Only risk is if Ford gets hurt then whom is the outside presence that sends Qb to Buckner.

I just hope we don't trade down. Bosa, Williams or Allen are all going to be solid starters to pro bowlers. Williams had the best combine of the three and if 49ers go with him I'd be okay. Just don't let there love for Armstead or Thomas cut into his playing time.
That's precisely why we can't roll the dice here and take Quinnen Williams with the second pick. It's far too risky to roll into the 2019 season opener with Dee Ford as our only real reliable edge rusher. We need another solid edge option whether its Bosa, Sweat, Allen or Burns from the first round. Obviously Bosa is the best choice for us should he be available at number 2.

As we are now, we're simply a Dee Ford injury away from being back in the same position with our edge rushers as last year. So that's why I believe that we cant doodle and take QW at 2 and have to take another ER.
Originally posted by PuckFarag10:
I never considered Williams to be the pick. But with Ford on the roster the 49ers have to consider him. Only risk is if Ford gets hurt then whom is the outside presence that sends Qb to Buckner.

I just hope we don't trade down. Bosa, Williams or Allen are all going to be solid starters to pro bowlers. Williams had the best combine of the three and if 49ers go with him I'd be okay. Just don't let there love for Armstead or Thomas cut into his playing time.
That's precisely why we can't roll the dice here and take Quinnen Williams with the second pick. It's far too risky to roll into the 2019 season opener with Dee Ford as our only real reliable edge rusher. We need another solid edge option whether its Bosa, Sweat, Allen or Burns from the first round. Obviously Bosa is the best choice for us should he be available at number 2.

As we are now, we're simply a Dee Ford injury away from being back in the same position with our edge rushers as last year. So that's why I believe that we cant doodle and take QW at 2 and have to take another ER.

I see where you're coming from, but who brings the interior pressure if Buck gets injured?
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

dont trade out of the big three

Yeah but if they didnget two first rounders and another two they could really beef up the team.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by PuckFarag10:

I see where you're coming from, but who brings the interior pressure if Buck gets injured?
We're deep with interior linemen, obviously none are as good as Defo but Solly and AA could fill in in a pinch until Buck gets back into the lineup. Plus with the edge pressure we'd be getting things inside should be less congested.
Dee Ford does not solve our pass rush issues. If hes there we take Bosa. No brainer.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Dee Ford does not solve our pass rush issues. If hes there we take Bosa. No brainer.

Exactly. We got one guy. Just one. We went from zero edge rushers to one, so we are still two short by my count. A week ago, we were looking at Bosa as our LEO. Now he could play some LEO and play at LDE. We could do some special things from both end positions and still have teams forced to account for Buckner. I am really looking forward to the D-line of Bosa/Thomas/Buckner/Ford.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Exactly. We got one guy. Just one. We went from zero edge rushers to one, so we are still two short by my count. A week ago, we were looking at Bosa as our LEO. Now he could play some LEO and play at LDE. We could do some special things from both end positions and still have teams forced to account for Buckner. I am really looking forward to the D-line of Bosa/Thomas/Buckner/Ford.

Don't forget about Kentavius Street and Julian Taylor. I feel those two will be great rotational guys too.
Bosa and Winovich.

Do it!!

And after seeing Ford's actual contract breakdown it's clear SF is still in for a edge rusher. Ford can be moved after this yr with much dead money.
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Don't forget about Kentavius Street and Julian Taylor. I feel those two will be great rotational guys too.

Maybe so, but I can't bank on either.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
And after seeing Ford's actual contract breakdown it's clear SF is still in for a edge rusher. Ford can be moved after this yr with much dead money.

Typical Paraag Maathe, in a good way
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I think it'd be a mistake to move on from Dee after just a single year. Especially when we gave up a second round pick for him, as well as the fact that he's in the prime of his career. You don't let a premium pass rusher in his prime go to another team (unless KS has a Jon Gruden moment). I agree though, we are in the market for another premium pass rusher in the draft. Hopefully Bosa falls to us at 2.
How could general manager John Lynch and head coach Kyle Shanahan pass on the complete package of a prospect in Bosa? Well, they might even have a reasonable reason once you dive into the finer details.
The acquisition of Dee Ford would undoubtedly be a very big part of why. It's not just that the 49ers added one of the best edge rushers in the league. It's how they plan to utilize him. Ford played as a linebacker for the Kansas City Chiefs. He was the wide-9 rusher, which made him a linebacker in the 3-4 defensive system the Chiefs employed.
The 49ers don't run a 3-4 scheme but rather a 4-3. Upon the completion of the trade, many wondered if the 49ers would play Ford in the SAM linebacker position in their defense. This will not be the case. When asked if Ford will be a defensive end, Lynch was succinct in his answer.
"We do," Lynch said at the press conference introducing Ford and Kwon Alexander last week. "That's what we see him as ... he fits the LEO mold perfectly."
This decision has a domino affect on the rest of the defensive line. With the LEO position taken, the 49ers must decide who will serve as the team's other defensive end as well as find a linebacker for the SAM position. If the 49ers draft Bosa, he would fill the "big end" spot as the team's other starting defensive end.
That would create a potential playing time problem for the 49ers incumbent defensive ends. There are four starting defensive line positions. DeForest Buckner will be taking one of the defensive tackle spots and Ford will be taking the LEO defensive end position. Two spots left with Arik Armstead, Solomon Thomas and potentially Bosa still unaccounted for. Someone would be the odd man out.

***** Kinda my point and concern in a nutshell. They summerized and stated my contention, and "backed up" Walters Football's argument.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Lets relax. The patriots functioned just fine against suh and donald. Won a super bowl. Remember?

The Patriots offense got shut down man. The Rams lost because none of their WRs could beat press man and Goff played terribly.
Share 49ersWebzone