LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

this is why we took Ford, and now may NOT get Bosa

Originally posted by toppdogg32:
49ers Torn on Quinnen Williams, Nick Bosa Updated March 12, 2019
By Charlie Campbell. Follow Charlie on Twitter @draftcampbell.
Around NFL teams and in the national media, the assumption is the Cardinals or another team will select Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray with the No. 1-overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft. At No. 2 therefore, there is a consensus that the 49ers will take Ohio State defensive end Nick Bosa. From speaking to 49ers sources, however, the team is very torn on who to take with that pick due to loving Alabama defensive tackle Quinnen Williams. Multiple team sources were more enthusiastic about Williams than they were about Bosa at the NFL Scouting Combine and in the week afterward.
Sources with the 49ers were gushing about Williams. They think he is a rare prospect with an amazing skill set of speed and athleticism. Team sources also like Williams' makeup as an individual, and they are very high on his immense upside. Team sources were gushing about how Williams dominated in 2018 in only his first season of real playing time. They feel that the sky is the limit for his potential.
With Bosa, their praise was not as effusive. They like him and feel he is probably the safer pick, but they did not talk about him as being as special of a player or athlete like Williams is. The other thing going for Bosa is edge rush is a bigger need than defensive tackle. Defensive end Solomon Thomas has been a massive disappointment in the pass rush department, while defensive tackle DeForest Buckner was superb last year, ripping off 12 sacks in his third season.
The 49ers want to improve their pass rush, and team sources said that taking Williams to pair with Buckner could be similar to the Los Angeles Rams pairing Ndamukong Suh with Aaron Donald. Another edge rusher who has been projected to be in play for the 49ers is Kentucky linebacker Josh Allen, but 49ers sources were not high on Allen for the No. 2 pick. Allen would be more of a candidate if they traded down. Trading down is also an option that San Francisco would consider.
Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/49ers-Torn-on-Quinnen-Williams,-Nick-Bosa#ixzz5i1wNRtSb
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/49ers-Torn-on-Quinnen-Williams,-Nick-Bosa#jxBQluS3iEuOFfU1.99
****THEY ARE NOT AS HIGH ON ALLEN AND BOSA AS MOST OF YOU ARE!!! THEY LOVE THIS GUY

Very believable scenario . Especially considering how much of a savage Williams is . But I can't believe any of this pre draft stuff. After they surprised everyone with that Glinch pick. They ain't letting s**t out
[ Edited by GhostOfBaalke on Mar 14, 2019 at 1:03 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Walterfootball.com is your source.

Damn...Very good read...I am a little torn...As some have said tho, can't go wrong either way. I think QW may be the better option for us long term.
When Aaron Donald came out nobody thought he would be as good as he is, otherwise he would not have gone No11, same with Watt.

No reason Q can't get to that level although it's unlikely
  • krizay
  • Veteran
All the more reason to go after Shaq Barrett.

If they do end up with Q atleast we'd have Barrett and Ford outside on passing downs.
I'd say it's a smoke screen but It's Walter football and I don't think teams even give them that.
We haven't been in this position for a long time haha. After this draft qb's are going to get steamrolled and smashed either way!!! Sounds to me like QW #1 then Bosa. You can't double team both those guys in the interior. Either way O's will now need an extra blocker or 2 in there.
One thing we've done very well since John and Kyle got here is keep our information in house. The only stuff that has gotten out before a move is made is by design.

IMO this is by design. I can certainly see them falling in love with Quinnan(what's not to like) but I think they're trying to squash all the "49ers love Bosa" rumors to ensure the Cards don't take him out of spite or to prevent a team like the Jets or Oakland within striking distance of #1 overall from jumping up for him.

If Bosa is there at #2 overall and we don't get an offer you can't refuse deal to move down i would be SHOCKED if Bosa isn't the pick.

Makes too much sense.

You're in prime position to take an elite caliber edge rusher, arguably best player in the draft at #2 overall at a huge need position. The signing of Ford doesn't change that. Best way to keep a team going strong is to supplement vets with talented rookies at impact positions so when Ford's contract runs out or he doesn't play up to his deal you're not stuck with Cassius Marshes of the world.
Around NFL teams and in the national media, the assumption is the Cardinals or another team will select Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray with the No. 1-overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft. At No. 2 therefore, there is a consensus that the 49ers will take Ohio State defensive end Nick Bosa. From speaking to 49ers sources, however, the team is very torn on who to take with that pick due to loving Alabama defensive tackle Quinnen Williams. Multiple team sources were more enthusiastic about Williams than they were about Bosa at the NFL Scouting Combine and in the week afterward.
Sources with the 49ers were gushing about Williams. They think he is a rare prospect with an amazing skill set of speed and athleticism. Team sources also like Williams' makeup as an individual, and they are very high on his immense upside. Team sources were gushing about how Williams dominated in 2018 in only his first season of real playing time. They feel that the sky is the limit for his potential.
With Bosa, their praise was not as effusive. They like him and feel he is probably the safer pick, but they did not talk about him as being as special of a player or athlete like Williams is. The other thing going for Bosa is edge rush is a bigger need than defensive tackle. Defensive end Solomon Thomas has been a massive disappointment in the pass rush department, while defensive tackle DeForest Buckner was superb last year, ripping off 12 sacks in his third season.
The 49ers want to improve their pass rush, and team sources said that taking Williams to pair with Buckner could be similar to the Los Angeles Rams pairing Ndamukong Suh with Aaron Donald. Another edge rusher who has been projected to be in play for the 49ers is Kentucky linebacker Josh Allen, but 49ers sources were not high on Allen for the No. 2 pick. Allen would be more of a candidate if they traded down. Trading down is also an option that San Francisco would consider.
Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/49ers-Torn-on-Quinnen-Williams,-Nick-Bosa#ixzz5i1wNRtSb
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/49ers-Torn-on-Quinnen-Williams,-Nick-Bosa#jxBQluS3iEuOFfU1.99
****THEY ARE NOT AS HIGH ON ALLEN AND BOSA AS MOST OF YOU ARE!!! THEY LOVE THIS GUY

OMG.....can't believe I didn't see walterfootball as the source.

lmao

The 49ers on Wednesday announced the signing of defensive lineman Dee Ford to a five-year extension after acquiring him in a trade from the Kansas City Chiefs for a second-round draft pick in 2020.
Repeat, the 49ers announced the signing of defensive lineman Dee Ford.
During his five seasons in Kansas City, Ford was an ouside linebacker in a 3-4 defensive scheme. All indications are Ford will be the "leo" in the 49ers' 4-3 defensive alignment.
His job: Get after the quarterback.
Ford did his job exceptionally well last season, recording 13 sacks and forcing seven fumbles. Outside of defensive tackle DeForest Buckner, the 49ers lacked a consistent pass rush. The 49ers, as a team, generated just seven takeaways on the season – the worst mark in the history of the National Football League.
Coach Kyle Shanahan hired Robert Saleh to implement the Seattle-style defense with the 49ers. It's a 4-3 defense with essentially 3-4 personnel. The leo position is based on the elephant edge-rusher spot that George Seifert used with the 49ers in the 1980s and '90s. (SOURCE 49ERS WEBZONE).

***** What say you all now ?? BOSA IS NOT GONNA BE A ROTATIONAL OR BACKUP PLAYER AFTER WE PICK HIM AT #2.. Can he play LDE??, SAM OLB?? b'cuzz that's the only spot for another pass rusher!. *****
I think it will be too hard to pass on Bosa if he's sitting there at #2. They would have to really LOVE Quennin...

I love Quennin as a prospect and I think in a lot of ways he's a better prospect than Bosa. But edge rushers are at a premium and I think they'll eventually settle on Bosa for that reason.
Truth is, nobody knows what the 49ers are going to do. Every prediction going into last year's draft and this year's FA have been wrong. This current regime has no leaks.
Originally posted by genus49:
One thing we've done very well since John and Kyle got here is keep our information in house. The only stuff that has gotten out before a move is made is by design.

IMO this is by design. I can certainly see them falling in love with Quinnan(what's not to like) but I think they're trying to squash all the "49ers love Bosa" rumors to ensure the Cards don't take him out of spite or to prevent a team like the Jets or Oakland within striking distance of #1 overall from jumping up for him.

If Bosa is there at #2 overall and we don't get an offer you can't refuse deal to move down i would be SHOCKED if Bosa isn't the pick.

Makes too much sense.

You're in prime position to take an elite caliber edge rusher, arguably best player in the draft at #2 overall at a huge need position. The signing of Ford doesn't change that. Best way to keep a team going strong is to supplement vets with talented rookies at impact positions so when Ford's contract runs out or he doesn't play up to his deal you're not stuck with Cassius Marshes of the world.

Yes..when Ford's contract is over, we can lock up Bosa to his first big contract. Can work out perfectly. I am still on the Bosa wagon but wouldn't be upset with QW as the pick.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:

Very believable scenario . Especially considering how much of a savage Williams is . But I can't believe any of this pre draft stuff. After they surprised everyone with that Glinch pick. They ain't letting s**t out
The glinch rumors started coming out like a week before the draft, I remember saying this is the biggest smoke screen ever then the rumors got hotter a day or 2 before the draft and more rumors came out that's the guy the raiders were in love with. Then come draft day boom he's the pick
Share 49ersWebzone