LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Understanding our "Edges": talking LEO, SAM and Big End

Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
Soooo, would Bosa fit in there anywhere? I sure wouldn't want him flopping back into coverage.

Rushing the SAM and dropping the Leo would only be a wrinkle over the course of a game.

K, thanks.
I think the OP is closer to the 2nd post.

You're correct on the basic functions and responsibilities.

The best way to look at it is their roles within our packages.

First off we will match personnel based on the offense.

3 WR's will normally see the SAM off the field and the Nickel CB on, our D is quite unique though in that we will see 1st & 10, 2nd and less than 7 and 3rd and short as Base (respect the run) downs, we will use a big Nickel package (Snickel) and

When the SAM is on the field they will normally take the gap outside the TE, setting the edge if the run is towards them (play side) and flowing to cover the cutback if backside. If the SAM sees pass they'll usually take the flat zone, or blitz (I think if we had one that could cover Saleh would have them man up on the TE on occasion).

The Big end will line up on the RT. This is usually AA and the plan is usually to push him into the backfield to disrupt, then if he can to disengage to tackle the RB or get to the QB (or not!) if it's pass.

On obvious passing downs, 3rd & long, 2 min drills etc, the Big End and usually SAM will come off the field and the two DE's will play outside the Tackles, either in a 7 or Wide 9 technique, they will rush the passer or stunt inside.

I don't actually think we should call our weaksode rusher a LEO, a traditional LEO will do what I described above on every down, in our D our LEO has edge setting responsibilities, this means they have to read run/pass before getting around the tackle.

As this is in the draft forum I figure you want to know who can do what.

I think Saleh wants Edge guys who can do multiple roles, it just hasn't happened yet, we're in position to do it this year.

Bosa is your LEO and obvious pass down rusher, he could play Big End but it would be a waste, he could go and play 7 or 9 tech outside a RT though.

Allen is perfect for the expanded SAM role in that he could cover most TE's. Allen also would rush from either side on obvious passing downs, there is a question mark on whether he could play LEO in our scheme with his it's edge setting responsibilities, very different Vs a TE than a LT.

Burns for me only plays as an obvious down rusher as a rookie, though his athleticism lends itself to playing SAM, or with some sand in his pants as a LEO as he develops.

Polite, same as Burns but without the SAM.

Gary best at Big End but could play LEO, Ferrell at LEO, similar to Bosa but not as good.
Again, thank you all for the tremendously informative posts. It really helps.

What I'm taking away from this is that the kind of player we target later in the draft is really dependent on who we get early.

For example, if we get Bosa, then we probably want a smaller more versatile SAM later in the draft. Maybe a Justin Hollins? I've also wondered if someone like Bobby Okereke could fit that role.

However if we end up with either Allen or Burns in the first then it seems like we might want a bigger more pure pass rusher later. I know Winovich is a popular choice if he's there.

Am I digesting this correctly?
[ Edited by TheFunkyChicken on Mar 10, 2019 at 9:07 PM ]
If we get Bosa where is Thomas going to play on "run" downs?
Originally posted by jreff22:

Most likely the bench, but I have a feeling they're going to give AA some snaps at nose in base to get everyone on the field. It's unorthodox, but they started tinkering with it at the end of last season.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by jreff22:

Most likely the bench, but I have a feeling they're going to give AA some snaps at nose in base to get everyone on the field. It's unorthodox, but they started tinkering with it at the end of last season.

So when they realize he gets 0 leverage and kick him back out, Thomas becomes only a situational rusher?

Honestly if that's all we can get from him, he should be traded.
[ Edited by jreff22 on Mar 10, 2019 at 9:28 PM ]
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

What I'm taking away from this is that the kind of player we target later in the draft is really dependent on who we get early.

For example, if we get Bosa, then we probably want a smaller more versatile SAM later in the draft. Maybe a Justin Hollins? I've also wondered if someone like Bobby Okereke could fit that role.

However if we end up with either Allen or Burns in the first then it seems like we might want a bigger more pure pass rusher later. I know Winovich is a popular choice if he's there.

That's pretty accurate, but I think you're confusing their primary and secondary roles.

The primary role is rushing the passer, if you can do that we want you, after that it's great if you can fill one of the respect the run down roles.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

I'm not sure how lynch feels about our LB needs but I would definitely take a gamble on Hollins.
Share 49ersWebzone