LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 309 users in the forums

My DE rankings

This is a great year to be looking for a pass rusher.

LEO:

Rd1- Nick Bosa, Ohio State 6'4, 265
Rd1- Clelin Ferrell, Clemson 6'5, 260
Rd1- Brian Burns, FSU 6'5, 235
Rd2- Joe Jackson, Miami 6'5, 258
Rd3- Jaylon Ferguson, L. Tech 6'5, 262
Rd3- Austin Bryant, Clemson 6'5, 265

3-4 OLB/SAM

Rd1- Josh Allen, Kentucky 6'5, 230
Rd1- Montez Sweat, Miss St 6'6, 241
Rd2- Jachai Polite, Florida 6'2, 243
Rd3- Chase Winovich, Michigan 6'3, 255

5 tech:

Rd1- Rashan Gary, Michigan 6'5, 281
Rd2- Zach Allen, BC 6'5, 280
Rd2- Raequon Davis, Alabama 6'7, 310
Rd3- Marquise Copeland, Cinn 6'2, 290

3 tech:

Rd1- Ed Oliver, Houston 6'3, 290
Rd1- Quennin Williams, Bama 6'4, 295
Rd2- Christian Wilkins, Clem 6'4, 311
Rd2- Jerry Tillery, ND 6'6, 305
Rd2- Dre'Mont Jones, O State 6'3, 290
Rd3- Isaiah Buggs, Alabama 6'2, 295

NT:

Rd1- Jeffery Simmons, Miss St 6'4, 300
Rd2- Dexter Lawrence, Clemson 6'4, 340
Rd2- Derrick Brown, Auburn 6'4, 325
Rd3- Daylon Mack, NT Texas AM 6'1, 335
Rd3- DeMarcus Christmas, FSU 6'3, 311
Rd3- Greg Gaines, Washington 6'1, 315

I've been following the draft for 25 years and this is by far the deepest draft for defensive linemen I have ever seen.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Dec 6, 2018 at 9:55 AM ]
Nice list, but no idea how you've missed Quinnen Williams, absolute stud.

I also have severe doubts about Burns being able to play Leo, and I don't think Sweat is athletic enough for SAM
If Polite drops to round 2 I want him, even if Bosa is posing with a 49ers shirt.
Originally posted by English:
If Polite drops to round 2 I want him, even if Bosa is posing with a 49ers shirt.

I think he will, he hasn't got the length that teams covet, he has great explosive burst, but little else to go with it. I think he's a nickel rusher only, at least at the start, those tend not to be 1st rounders. I'd be happy with him, but I think he's going to be this year's webzone most overrated player.

Same. He has explosiveness to go with his motor. Better to have too many passrusher than not enough or none at all!
Allen is the only guy from that "SAM" list that I'd actually use at SAM, but then fans would be pissed when our first-round pick spends valuable pass-rushing opportunities dropping into coverage. I've moved on from plugging a pass rusher at SAM. Plug a guy at BE or Leo so they can rush the QB 100% of the time.

And Ed Oliver dreams of being 6-3, 290 lbs.
[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 6, 2018 at 9:15 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

I also have severe doubts about Burns being able to play Leo, and I don't think Sweat is athletic enough for SAM

Yikes. Good call. I will edit it

I love Burns on the edge. I think he is a more polished version of Harold Landry.

I think he will, he hasn't got the length that teams covet, he has great explosive burst, but little else to go with it. I think he's a nickel rusher only, at least at the start, those tend not to be 1st rounders. I'd be happy with him, but I think he's going to be this year's webzone most overrated player.

Polite's got great arm length, that's a strength of his. If he falls out of the top 20 or 25 we should trade up to get him, especially if we don't land a legitimate free agent pass rusher.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 6, 2018 at 9:50 AM ]

He reminds me a bit of Carl Lawson in 2017 who went in the 4th and Jeff Holland who went undrafted last year.

These guys in the 6'2, 250 range just don't have the length that teams covet.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Dec 6, 2018 at 9:52 AM ]

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Polite's got great arm length, that's a strength of his. If he falls out of the top 20 or 25 we should trade up to get him, especially if we don't land a legitimate free agent pass rusher.

I like him but with the depth of pass rushers this year I think he is a 2nd or even 3rd round pick.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
I like him but with the depth of pass rushers this year I think he is a 2nd or even 3rd round pick.

I don't think there is anyway he falls that far. He's one of the best pure edge rushers in this draft class.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I don't think there is anyway he falls that far. He's one of the best pure edge rushers in this draft class.

The same was said for Harold Landry and he fell to the mid 2nd. And Landry is better than Polite IMO.
DRAFT THEM ALL!!!
The same was said for Harold Landry and he fell to the mid 2nd. And Landry is better than Polite IMO.

Landry dropped hecause of long term knee issues.

Where are you getting the height and weight stats?

Oliver is not 290
Allen is 260 lbs
Polite reportly (from nfl draft network) has him at 260

Will be interesting to see all their measurables
Share 49ersWebzone