General 2019 NFL Draft Discussion

Originally posted by Heroism:
My pre-Bowl Games/Senior Bowl/Combine top-5 edge rankings:

1 Nick Bosa

2 Brian Burns
3 Clelin Ferrell
4 Chase Winovich
5 Zach Allen

Polite and Allen deserve more love IMO. Maybe Rashan Gary too.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

Gary isn't a straight up edge rusher imo

Everyone I've got above Polite and Allen has better pass rush skill, mental processing, and run defense. These are some key factors I keep in mind when evaluating edge rushers:

-Pass rush IQ including set processing, plan, and awareness
  • response to: wide/short/jump set, low hands, high hands, one-hand punchers, two-hand punchers
  • Half-man attack
-Stance technique
-Pad level
-First step, depth, and arc footwork
-Hand technique: accuracy, timing, placement, violence
-Primary outside techniques and inside techniques
-Feints(jabs & bobs) & Counters
-Effort
-Athleticism:
  • Hip, knee, ankle dexterity
  • Body control
  • Power(upper & low body) & explosiveness
  • Agility
  • Quickness and speed

I'm still not 100% sure Rashan Gary will be an edge player in the NFL. His special traits sure are tantalizing, tho.
[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 24, 2018 at 1:53 PM ]
I'll be surprised if Brian Burns even goes in the first. He needs to weigh 250 to even have a shot.
Dexter Lawrence + two other Clemson players failed drug tests, tested positive for Ostarine.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Dexter Lawrence + two other Clemson players failed drug tests, tested positive for Ostarine.

Oops
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
I'll be surprised if Brian Burns even goes in the first. He needs to weigh 250 to even have a shot.

We can only hope to be so lucky. Give me Murphy+Burns and I don't care who else they get.

Agreed. Zach Allen above Josh Allen and Polite is But to each his own, It's Heros list
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Agreed. Zach Allen above Josh Allen and Polite is But to each his own, It's Heros list

Personally I think he got into the spiked eggnog a little early, but thats just me.

Lol. There's a pervasive lack of congruity with edge rankings amongst draftniks, which is the disconcerting part of this edge group(why I put that space after Bosa lol). I wish someone would take hold of the #2 spot and run with it.
[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 24, 2018 at 4:29 PM ]

We can only hope to be so lucky. Give me Murphy+Burns and I don't care who else they get.

I would love this

Same...
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:
My pre-Bowl Games/Senior Bowl/Combine top-5 edge rankings:

1 Nick Bosa

2 Brian Burns
3 Clelin Ferrell
4 Chase Winovich
5 Zach Allen

What does 3-5 look like if we are talking LEO's only?
Originally posted by evil:
What does 3-5 look like if we are talking LEO's only?

It's really tough to say because Saleh seems to have his own archetypal Leo(stouter/bigger body). If we're talking the classic speed-demon, 6'3", 250-260 lbs Pete Carroll Leo(Cliff Aril/Chris Clemons/Bruce Irvin), then I'd say Polite and Allen fit the bill best.
[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 24, 2018 at 5:57 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone