LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

General 2019 NFL Draft Discussion

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
I would not understand a trade down. Get either Bosa or Williams. It couldn't be any simpler.

If the Giants come to you and offer you #6, #17, a 4th rounder and a 1st and 3rd next year, you'd really have to seriously consider it.

That said, I don't think any tradedown offers will be super generous. Far more of a buyers than sellers market.

Exactly. If an offer like this existed, Arizona probably accepts it before giving us the chance to.

I would do that trade in a heartbeat
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oilcan:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

mid first round. Yikes

I would love to hear him try to spin or justify dropping that far down. If he did there will be a lot of pressure on him to hit a home run on the extra picks.

He said they are comfortable selecting players in the middle of the first round but mentioned the No. 10 pick specifically. If you take what he said at face value: (1) Yes, 49ers are having talks with teams about trading down if a team wants to come up and get a QB; (2) The most likely scenario for that is if Arizona passes on Murray; (3) It doesn't sound like the Giants will be trading up from #6; (4) The No. 10 pick is held by the Broncos and we know thus this regime has a good working relationship with the Broncos; and (5) The Bengals at #11, Dolphins at #13 and Redskins at #15 have all been mentioned as possibly wanting a QB.

Parsing all of that together...49ers are calling Arizona's bluff and the 49ers will not trade up to #1 and letting them know that if they trade down below #2, it's possible Murray may not be there for them;and that it would take something special for the 49ers to pass on Bosa/Williams but they're open to it from the teams needing a QB, other than the Giants who do not appear interested; and those teams are in the #10-15 range.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kem99:
He said they are comfortable selecting players in the middle of the first round but mentioned the No. 10 pick specifically. If you take what he said at face value: (1) Yes, 49ers are having talks with teams about trading down if a team wants to come up and get a QB; (2) The most likely scenario for that is if Arizona passes on Murray; (3) It doesn't sound like the Giants will be trading up from #6; (4) The No. 10 pick is held by the Broncos and we know thus this regime has a good working relationship with the Broncos; and (5) The Bengals at #11, Dolphins at #13 and Redskins at #15 have all been mentioned as possibly wanting a QB.

Parsing all of that together...49ers are calling Arizona's bluff and the 49ers will not trade up to #1 and letting them know that if they trade down below #2, it's possible Murray may not be there for them;and that it would take something special for the 49ers to pass on Bosa/Williams but they're open to it from the teams needing a QB, other than the Giants who do not appear interested; and those teams are in the #10-15 range.

But if you take what he said during the OBJ talks.... i know how valuable the #2 pick is.

OBJ has a TON of value. More than Bosa to be honest.

You don't turn down a top player because of "value" of a pick then not use said value.

So i stick by my, WE ARE trading down.
Honestly, that's what I'm expecting. If Bosa is gone, 49ers will trade out. To where? Who knows. But I'd surely hope they don't go too far down. And if so, the damn compensation better be good.

That said, you walk away with Brian Burns, AJ Brown AND have enough day 2 resources to bolster the OL and secondary, I won't be disappointed.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Do we really want to trade down?

From Albert Breer today :

"The meat of this draft is Day 2 and Day 3," one AFC exec said on Sunday night. "The second-to-fourth round is where it's at. Once we get by that first level, with the elite guys, to me, it's all the same."

"After Bosa and Allen and Quinnen Williams," one AFC GM said, "it's a legit crapshoot."

So here's what that means: Most teams I've talked to over the last two weeks expect that in the 12-16 range, they'll be looking at guys with second-round grades. There are that few real blue-chip players in the class. The flip side? Well, the flip side is that those second-round grades could stretch well into the third round, and the expectation is that there are going to finds well into Day 3.

That adds up to a lot of good, similarly graded players, and a very unpredictable first round.

From mid March :

When is the No. 17 pick not a first-rounder in a round with 32 picks? When John Dorsey says it's not one.

According to a report from the NFL Network, the Browns GM didn't consider the No. 17 pick a real first-rounder this year before he dealt it as part of the bounty to acquire wideout Odell Beckham Jr.

In breaking down the trade on the Move the Sticks podcast with Bucky Brooks (filling in for Daniel Jeremiah), NFL.com's Lance Zierlein dropped the knowledge nugget.

"I had heard that the Browns considered there to be 15 players that are first round players in this year's draft," Zierlein explained. "That sounds about right. About 15 guys who are first round picks. Analytics is always about quantifying value so, for them, that 17th pick, they considered that a second round player, generally speaking. In the Browns' mind, they considered they were giving up a second-round player and not a first round player. That makes even more sense right now,"

It's an interesting assertion, one which helps understand why Dorsey was willing to give up the pick as part of the package.

If teams are only seeing 15 or so guys with first round grades, trading down might mean slim pickings of guys with good value wherever we land. Best bet might be to stay at 2 and take one of the 2 truly elite prospects in this class.
[ Edited by evil on Apr 22, 2019 at 2:26 PM ]
Hypothetically speaking, if we stay put at #2 and draft whoever, how far can we come up from our second pick by offering next years first rounder?

Just next years first rounder, and our 2nd rounder this year. What teams might be looking to trade down?
[ Edited by KamLeon on Apr 22, 2019 at 2:39 PM ]
Originally posted by KamLeon:
Hypothetically speaking, if we stay put at #2 and draft whoever, how far can we come up from our second pick by offering next years first rounder?

Just next years first rounder, and our 2nd rounder this year. What teams might be looking to trade down?

I don't think that'd get us high enough to make the trade worth it.
Originally posted by WINiner:

I don't think that'd get us high enough to make the trade worth it.

I agree. So it seems like a trade out of #2 could be what they're thinking. I'd hate to pass up on either Bosa or Williams just to get an extra average player with the extra pick. So many different angles to look at this from.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:

But if you take what he said during the OBJ talks.... i know how valuable the #2 pick is.

OBJ has a TON of value. More than Bosa to be honest.

You don't turn down a top player because of "value" of a pick then not use said value.

So i stick by my, WE ARE trading down.

The "value" of the #2 pick is what the market says it is, not what Lynch says it is. Assuming Lynch views the #2 pick as being worth more than OBJ (with his contract), that doesn't mean everyone else does. The Broncos/Bengals/Dolphins/Redskins might all think the #2 pick is worth less this year than what Lynch believes its worth and not be willing to meet his asking price, which would then leave Lynch in the position of either coming down to meet someone's last best offer even if its worth less than he feels the pick is worth; or keeping the pick and, presumably, picking Bosa or Williams.
  • kem99
  • Veteran

This would also leave the 49ers without both their first and second round pick next year. Don't think there would be enough of a difference maker at the end of the first round to justify a move up from #36 to put themselves in that position for next year.

Gonna be in Spain will they show the draft there??
This would also leave the 49ers without both their first and second round pick next year. Don't think there would be enough of a difference maker at the end of the first round to justify a move up from #36 to put themselves in that position for next year.

Another reason a trade down could be in the works, to replace that second rounder.

First time in a lot of drafts that almost anything could happen for us.
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Gonna be in Spain will they show the draft there??

Possibly, if they have Internet there, if not you might have to travel further into Europe.

Another reason a trade down could be in the works, to replace that second rounder.

First time in a lot of drafts that almost anything could happen for us.

Would rather use the #67 pick for that.
In fact I'm not to concerned about it I would rather trade back next year with our 1st round pick if we need to replace i5.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by fropwns:
f**k the Cards, here is what we do. If they pass on KM, WE DRAFT HIM or THREATEN TO DO SO and hold those motherf**kers hostage that want him. Say, the FADERS. Force them to package us a deal, we trade the rights to them, we can still draft Bosa or QW assuming the Cards only got one of them.

Or you end up getting stuck with a QB that you don't want and miss out on an impact player that makes your team a lot better right off the bat.

Or you end up with the next R Wilson.
Share 49ersWebzone