LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 376 users in the forums

Hakeem Butler-WR-Iowa State

Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Sorry Adrian, if your assessment is accurate then he just isn't a WR we look for, slow breaks and inconsistent hands. He may as well be a 350lb lineman with bad footwork.

He is a natural hands catcher; I'd attribute his drops/inconsistencies to "concentration drops." His upside as a route runner is actually quite high for a man his size, and I think hed be an asset to any team, and any scheme. That being said, you're probably completely right about him never being a niner haha.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Sorry Adrian, if your assessment is accurate then he just isn't a WR we look for, slow breaks and inconsistent hands. He may as well be a 350lb lineman with bad footwork.

He is a natural hands catcher; I'd attribute his drops/inconsistencies to "concentration drops." His upside as a route runner is actually quite high for a man his size, and I think hed be an asset to any team, and any scheme. That being said, you're probably completely right about him never being a niner haha.

I don't disagree with wanting big WR's and so projecting which ones might work in our scheme, but if I see predominantly go & post routes then I just move on, better to save time and energy for shifty guys.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by LVJay:
He had that leaping one handed catch... we could use that all day on Sundays, especially in the red zone.

Exactly my thoughts on that play

I wonder which WRs will be taken before him and which round does he go...I like him but we're definitely going defense first.
He looks good but I don't see the Niners getting him. Too many other needs unless he slides back in the draft. Wish we had more picks so we could have more ammunition to maneuver.
He had that leaping one handed catch... we could use that all day on Sundays, especially in the red zone.

I wonder which WRs will be taken before him and which round does he go...I like him but we're definitely going defense first.

My guess would be the 3rd-4th round but if he runs a fast 40, outside chance in the 1st. People would be soaking wet at a 6'6 kid running a 4.4
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
He looks good but I don't see the Niners getting him. Too many other needs unless he slides back in the draft. Wish we had more picks so we could have more ammunition to maneuver.

We absolutely can get more picks. It's the #1 thing I'd be looking for if we secure that #2 pick and Bosa gets taken #1. Trade down some from that if the Haskins sweepstakes take effect (if not I'm taking Josh Allen, yes at #2). Or trade down from our 2nd round pick which would still net us some value as it would be a high 2nd.
Iowa State redshirt junior WR Hakeem Butler caught nine passes for 192 yards in Friday's 28-26 bowl loss to Washington State.

Butler (6'6/225) was too big, too strong, and too talented for the Cougars secondary. The giant was simply throwing corners off press coverage and winning contested catches downfield on his way to breaking the Iowa State bowl game receiving yards record. Butler was a trending topic on Twitter after making a sick one-handed grab over the middle for a big gain, but that's basically a weekly occurrence for him. His junior season closes with a 60-1,318-9 receiving line with a ridiculous 22.0 yards per reception average. If Butler declares as reported by The Draft Network's Benjamin Solak, he will be a Day 2 candidate with late first-round upside with positive Combine results.

• LVJay
  • Veteran

My guess would be the 3rd-4th round but if he runs a fast 40, outside chance in the 1st. People would be soaking wet at a 6'6 kid running a 4.4

LOL

I hope he doesn't get real looks till the 3rd with Tards passing him up, maybe Shanny will be real wet by that time.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Butler is so damn tall I cringe every time he crosses the middle. I feel like he's a nasty knee injury waiting to happen.

Dude's ability to play above the rim is pretty ridiculous, tho.

He'll fit right in then :)
Okay, now that's really damn impressive for a dude his size.

Okay, now that's really damn impressive for a dude his size.

Really wish we had a franchise DE on our roster....trade down with the pack, get both their 1st round picks, and grab Butler and Hockenson
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Yup "impressive" .... dude hopping around like he's 5'10.

I really hope we could steal this guy after the 3rd round, but he'll more than likely impress at the combine to raise his stock.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Get Tyrell Williams in free agency and draft Butler
What the fook? I'm sure it will balance out once the drills are added but jeez.

What the fook? I'm sure it will balance out once the drills are added but jeez.

Lol those are some freakish measurables
Share 49ersWebzone