LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 156 users in the forums

DE Zach Allen Boston College

• Andra
  • Veteran
Dude had a great night deserves his own thread.

6-5 285lbs definitely going to hear a lot more about him as the draft gets closer
Too much like Arik Armstead. Big end who is a good football player, but doesn't have the burst the Niners need in a pass rusher.
Pure pleasure to watch on film...one of my favorites... Sure-fire first round grade for me. Just ridiculous how often he wins. A+ football intelligence. The closest thing to JJ Watt (minus elite length and elite athleticism...but still remarkable for a guy his size), since JJ Watt. Call me a HUGE fan on him.
Add me to the fan club!! Allen is nasty, powerful and relentless. Nothing gets me going like a DL with violent hands! I can't wait to see how he stacks up at the combine.
[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 5, 2018 at 10:11 PM ]
I love that Allen knows precisely how he's going to attack the OT before the snap and takes the fight to the OT. There's nothing passive about playing in the trenches! Hits the bull on his third step to establish contact and draw OT's hands. Rip to clear contact. Allen is not bendy, but he consistently softens and shortens the corner with violent hands, technique, and a plan. Finally, how about that f**king urgency and relentlessness to finish?! I love that! He refused to let the QB get away. Derek Wolfe was someone who came to mind while watching Allen this year.

It sucks that we have so many "similar"(not really) players at the big end spot because he'd be a great option for that.

[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 6, 2018 at 4:51 PM ]
Kinda surprised there's not more discussion about this guy...every time I've seen him play he's been a real force. For his size, he moves very well and looks to have PR skills and an excellent ability to stop the run. Guys like him aren't easy to find...he has the size, strength & quickness to give OL some real problems. I surely wouldn't mind Lynch drafting him. We'll need guys like him on the DL no matter what PR Lynch acquires. I'm advocating for JL to sign UFA DT Malcolm Brown to strengthen the interior of our DL as part of a significant upgrade. We're just too soft now & Saleh needs better talent to compliment Buckner.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
The first time I saw him was against Clemson this year, dude had a great game. the closer the draft gets the more we will be hearing about him. Top 5 DE.
I still see him as a big end type, which we already have in AA, Street, and Blair. I'd prefer his teammate, Wyatt Ray, who's more typical of a Leo and actually has more sacks.
Zach Allen is a freaken beast. It sucks that we have a logjam at big end because he'd be the perfect every-down BE.

He may not be the edge rusher most people envision, but I think more people need to pay attention to this guy. Dude is a freaken monster from the edge. He's one of my top 3 favorite edge rushers to watch(Nick Bosa, Chase Winovich, Zach Allen). He could be even more dynamic if he shed a few of the extra lbs he's holding. Saleh loves big edge players. He'll be salivating when the time comes to watch the tape.

This swipe to rip is a beauty. That's 6-5, 285 getting his toes and hips turned around the corner.

I've identified Zach Allen's favorite attack. Similar combo of moves from my post above. Jab step to stop the tackle's feet and shorten the corner. Fakes the power. Rips half man and matches the QB's hand. Zach Allen is a load to deal with coming off the edge.

[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 22, 2018 at 1:11 PM ]

It's a shame the game was cancelled due to weather...really wanted to get another look at Allen. Pretty intrigued by his size, mobility and versatility. Think he may make a splash at the Combine. He just has a nose for the football, and when you're as big and mobile as he is, that's quite a package.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
dude is a gamer

Losing to Clemson but never stopped playing

This is going to be the guy that we are going to wish we drafted.
Originally posted by Andra:
dude is a gamer

Losing to Clemson but never stopped playing

This is going to be the guy that we are going to wish we drafted.

You think? is he a big end? I don't see him as a LEO rusher...IMO his bend/flexibly (tight hips) and his lateral mobility are lacking.

I think he's a good player just don't see him as the edge rusher we need based on our personnel. I could be wrong though.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
You think? is he a big end? I don't see him as a LEO rusher...IMO his bend/flexibly (tight hips) and his lateral mobility are lacking.

I think he's a good player just don't see him as the edge rusher we need based on our personnel. I could be wrong though.

I think the combine will be a big deciding factor for him honestly. If his measurables are right he will move up draft boards. As far as being a big end or Leo, yeah his body type fits more with BE then Leo but He seems to have, not elite bend, but decent bend for a 285lbs man. What he does seem to have is good technique and a relentless motor.
Originally posted by Andra:
I think the combine will be a big deciding factor for him honestly. If his measurables are right he will move up draft boards. As far as being a big end or Leo, yeah his body type fits more with BE then Leo but He seems to have, not elite bend, but decent bend for a 285lbs man. What he does seem to have is good technique and a relentless motor.

If they draft Bosa or Allen, moving up for Zack would make some sense. That would give the 49ers some serious pass rush ability to go with Buckner inside.
Share 49ersWebzone