LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

Quinnen Williams, DT Alabama

Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
You might be the only person on planet earth that would do that.

I'm willing to bet there's not many GM's who'd take a 4th dt in 5 years. Hardly the only person on the planet. It only sounds bad out of context.

That's not what you said. Good cover up on the out of context statement
I'm willing to bet there's not many GM's who'd take a 4th dt in 5 years. Hardly the only person on the planet. It only sounds bad out of context.

It sounds bad period. Its like "well we've blown 3 draft picks on QBs so we have no choice but to pass on Peyton Manning obviously."

Its one thing if you think that Williams will be a lousy/average player. If you believe that he can be an All Pro level player, who gives a crap who you've drafted, especially when two of those guys were by a completely different GM.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Stanley:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
No trade down I take Jonah...yeah I said it lol

Regardless I see a team wanting a shot at the top tackle, DT, or QB end of the day

If that's what happens, I'd be 100% ok with having an elite offensive line creating holes for McKinnon and Breida. at least until Staley says goodbye.

A year too early to think about going OL in the first.

Agree with Mayo. Much as i want that top flite OT, this is the yr of the ER, even if it isn't Bosa. We have to score ER in draft with first pick unless we happen to nail down an ER in FA which i believe to be highly unlikely(unlikely any really talented ER makes it into FA). Then we have the quandary of having to take yet another Inside DT as opposed to a DE/ER. After all the heat this yr, i cannot see us taking yet another inside DT, altho admittedly, that's where the BPA talent is. Just makes Bosa that much more attractive.

Yet if we traded down and scored an inside DT stud plus an OT.... well, at least it would be worth consiidering. But generally, i hope JL/Kyle don't once again add to our stable of inside DTs.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
That's not what you said. Good cover up on the out of context statement

Phoenix and I were having a conversation. The point of us having that position stacked was covered earlier.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It sounds bad period. Its like "well we've blown 3 draft picks on QBs so we have no choice but to pass on Peyton Manning obviously."

Its one thing if you think that Williams will be a lousy/average player. If you believe that he can be an All Pro level player, who gives a crap who you've drafted, especially when two of those guys were by a completely different GM.

Except we didn't blow on Buckner. Even on Thomas you're marginalizing him way too soon.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Dec 27, 2018 at 10:39 AM ]
I don't think you go wrong with either Bama Williams.

I might be old but I member what the 49ers interior defense looked like with BY and Stubblefield. Having Buckner and Williams inside with Thomas at big end would be a tough proposition for opposing offenses. You could also rotate all three to keep them fresh late in games.

Might as well trade Thomas/AA if that's the plan. Solly isn't a outside rusher, never has been never will be. If you want him as a 2 down edge defender you're basically throwing away that 3rd overall pick.

He hasn't played to his draft status we all agree, I think we can also agree he's a interior rusher and if given some time might turn into a good starter for yrs to come in that role. I don't see lynch and Co. moving off him that soon, just don't.

We have a lot of good young talent on that DL...were lacking an explosive edge rusher that teams actually give a s**t about. Great we'd have two amazing DTs, this league is full of athletic QBs who are mobile and play outside of the pocket now. Offenses are more spread out than back in the BY/Stubblefield days.

At least with Jonah it's not a cluster f**k of young talent all at the same spot, his role would be defined along with everyone else on that OL (short term and long term).

I still wouldn't be against reaching a little for a edge rusher, who cares if Burns/Allen aren't viewed as top 2 talents...If they play well no one cares if you drafted them a little high. I still think a trade down scenario is very likely if SF is picking at 2.

Only you have "Peyton Manning" in that 3-tech spot already in Buck...it's not like we have a bunch of junk on the interior DL.

It's like drafting TE 4 yrs in a row when you need a WR.
We really need Bosa or this is going to be a painful draft.
I don't think you go wrong with either Bama Williams.

I might be old but I member what the 49ers interior defense looked like with BY and Stubblefield. Having Buckner and Williams inside with Thomas at big end would be a tough proposition for opposing offenses. You could also rotate all three to keep them fresh late in games.

Might as well trade Thomas/AA if that's the plan. Solly isn't a outside rusher, never has been never will be. If you want him as a 2 down edge defender you're basically throwing away that 3rd overall pick.

He hasn't played to his draft status we all agree, I think we can also agree he's a interior rusher and if given some time might turn into a good starter for yrs to come in that role. I don't see lynch and Co. moving off him that soon, just don't.

We have a lot of good young talent on that DL...were lacking an explosive edge rusher that teams actually give a s**t about. Great we'd have two amazing DTs, this league is full of athletic QBs who are mobile and play outside of the pocket now. Offenses are more spread out than back in the BY/Stubblefield days.

At least with Jonah it's not a cluster f**k of young talent all at the same spot, his role would be defined along with everyone else on that OL (short term and long term).

I still wouldn't be against reaching a little for a edge rusher, who cares if Burns/Allen aren't viewed as top 2 talents...If they play well no one cares if you drafted them a little high. I still think a trade down scenario is very likely if SF is picking at 2.

If we stay at 2 and Q.Williams is the BPA I'm not passing him up because of an underachieving Solomon Thomas.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

If we end up with QW we should be ok.

Originally posted by SFrush:
If we stay at 2 and Q.Williams is the BPA I'm not passing him up because of an underachieving Solomon Thomas.

Okay, so if Williams underperforms (I'm told you need to be elite or you're a bust with that high of a pick) in 2 yrs we gonna draft another DT in the top 5 again?

Our interior DL is far from an issue there's talent there.

Thomas hasn't even gotten to play the role he should have been playing until like 5 games ago. You can't tell me there's no correlation with him playing inside and buck having 6 sacks in that time span. Hell even one of marsh's sacks last week was based off Thomas setting up a stunt for him.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 27, 2018 at 11:09 AM ]

If you feel that QW is a potential All-Pro, you don't pass on that because of Thomas and Armstead. Thomas can still play the big end and contribute on run downs. You still have him under team control for three more seasons. Armstead can go to a 3-4 team and play DE there. Those aren't guys that make or break your decisions.

who cares if Burns/Allen aren't viewed as top 2 talents...If they play well no one cares if you drafted them a little high

And if you they turn out to be average 6-7 sack a year guys while QW turns out to be an All-Pro level DT, your entire front office should be fired and never ever work in any kind of scouting capacity in the NFL again.

You don't pass up on potentially great to settle for average because that is where your need falls. If they feel that Burns and Allen have that same sort of upside, then so be it but I don't think anyone is making that argument. Most have Bosa and QW as 1 and 2 in this draft class.
Originally posted by mayo49:

If we end up with QW we should be ok.

Jonah Williams makes more sense if they can't move down
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
If you feel that QW is a potential All-Pro, you don't pass on that because of Thomas and Armstead. Thomas can still play the big end and contribute on run downs. You still have him under team control for three more seasons. Armstead can go to a 3-4 team and play DE there. Those aren't guys that make or break your decisions.

who cares if Burns/Allen aren't viewed as top 2 talents...If they play well no one cares if you drafted them a little high

And if you they turn out to be average 6-7 sack a year guys while QW turns out to be an All-Pro level DT, your entire front office should be fired and never ever work in any kind of scouting capacity in the NFL again.

You don't pass up on potentially great to settle for average because that is where your need falls. If they feel that Burns and Allen have that same sort of upside, then so be it but I don't think anyone is making that argument. Most have Bosa and QW as 1 and 2 in this draft class.

Agreed.
If you draft a bust yeah you may get fired but no one is firing you because QW succeeded. He'll be joining Buckner in the Pro Bowl. You don't fault a team for passing on Calvin if you have Julio.

I think people are overestimating QW's impact from nose.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Dec 27, 2018 at 11:37 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone